Disappointed - Early Saver Issue

kbalthaser66

I booked an OV cabin (6B) for a sailing in September 2014 with Early Saver as I have done many times in the past. I have been checking Fare Viewer daily hoping for a price drop since we are past final payment. Well today I was excited to see a Pack & Go rate that was $320 lower than the fare I booked at. I submitted my Price Protection form and just received an email back stating that Pack & Go rates no longer apply for an Early Saver OBC. So, basically I don't see a price reduction in my future since I cannot see them discounting the rate for anything other than Pack & Go. When did the rules change on this? I am not sure how booking Early Saver would benefit anyone going forward now that they have changed the rules and Pack & Go rates are no longer eligible. I was so hoping for a room upgrade or a nice OBC. Am I wrong in thinking that really is no longer a benefit of booking Early Saver, other than a decent price with the option of my picking the cabin I want. I have always booked Early Saver and it usually works out well for me where I get a decent OBC.

Isn't the Pack & Go rate a guarantee?

As far as I know, ES (you pick the cabin) couldn't ever be price matched to a guarantee (Carnival picks the cabin).

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't the Pack & Go rate a guarantee?

As far as I know, ES (you pick the cabin) couldn't ever be price matched to a guarantee (Carnival picks the cabin).

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

For better or worse thinking that is the answer. I would look and see the difference now between ov and balcony and perhaps jump to that.

Edited by golfadj

It's been a while since you can't price match to guarantee type rooms which is what Pack and Go is. With P&G, Carnival chooses your room so it's ineligible to price match to.

There is always a chance that rates will go down and it will be worth it. For my cruise this past May, they dropped the solo supplement and I was able to get almost $500 OBC. Every time I have booked ES, I have gotten some type of OBC.

I still think it's worth it. I never change my mind on who's going or would consider changing ships after I booked so I will always book ES. I have nothing to lose. The one time you don't, you'll be kicking yourself. You just have to make sure whatever rate you book under that you understand the rules. Sorry it didn't work out for you this time, but Carnival was correct in not giving you OBC. It's right in the disclosure section on their website.

I think KenMo is right. You can't price match to a guarantee cabin. It's been that way for at least a year.

However - I believe I've seen people post that they can upgrade to the P&G rates - if you wanted to pay the difference and go up to balcony, if that interests you.

Jenn

what if you canceled your ES booking and then booked the P&G? The only thing I have an issue with P&G is you can't select your cabin. So, you need to decide which is more important.

Since she's already past final payment date, the penalty would far outweigh any potential savings I'm sure.

For better or worse thinking that is the answer. I would look and see the difference now between ov and balcony and perhaps jump to that.

I agree-- what will it cost to go to a balcony guarantee?

I had the same offer but I didn't want to change a deck 7 inside (forward) to a deck 1 or 2 OV. Wife/I prefer the higher decks and we aren't in our cabin much so wasn't a good offer for us. Now, if it was to a balcony, probably would have done it.

We started out in an inside ES, saw a balcony price lowered so i upgraded us. Well the pack and go rate was $200 cheaper, gave up our balcony for a gty balcony and $100 each obc. got our cabin assignment and its pretty darn good :D

Ended up paying the same price that we started out paying for the inside plus $150 total each in obc through all the moving and price drops :D

I booked early saver for a cruise hubby and I are taking in October 2014 (this was booked over a year ago). I have had three price drops, called in and have gotten each of them applied even before my final payment was made. Now that my final payment was made about a month ago, I just called yesterday to check on a price drop. The agent was really good and checked everything, but with summertime rates, no drops were available at that time. She told me to check back each and every week, because you never know when something might change. Although we are paid in full, it would be nice to have a little obc when we get on the ship! Don't give up, call every week if you have to.

I booked early saver for a cruise hubby and I are taking in October 2014 (this was booked over a year ago). I have had three price drops, called in and have gotten each of them applied even before my final payment was made. Now that my final payment was made about a month ago, I just called yesterday to check on a price drop. The agent was really good and checked everything, but with summertime rates, no drops were available at that time. She told me to check back each and every week, because you never know when something might change. Although we are paid in full, it would be nice to have a little obc when we get on the ship! Don't give up, call every week if you have to.

Do you always call to check prices of your cruise? It would be easier to check out Carnival's FareViewer.

Do you always call to check prices of your cruise? It would be easier to check out Carnival's FareViewer.

For some people it's easier to check over the phone because the rate drop can take place immediately, as opposed to using the form. I don't use Fareviewer because it doesn't include the taxes (which can also fluctuate)--I just mock book to see what the repackaged cost is.

If I booked ES OV and wanted to upgrade to the guarantee balcony do I loose my ES status and therefore ability to apply for price drops?

Also, if I do move to the guarantee balcony can I still apply for price drops using the ES?

This is the first time I've booked ES so don't know what I can and can't do! Don't want to do something that prohibited me!

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

If I booked ES OV and wanted to upgrade to the guarantee balcony do I loose my ES status and therefore ability to apply for price drops?

Also, if I do move to the guarantee balcony can I still apply for price drops using the ES?

This is the first time I've booked ES so don't know what I can and can't do! Don't want to do something that prohibited me!

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

no once you change to a gty, you lose the option of price drops.

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

who can answer correctly because on paper this is not even allowed although in the last few months i have seen numerous post from people that have done it.

Carnival is consistently inconsistent with their rules. One day it's the rule is enforced, next day it'd not.

My suggestion is to call and keep calling until you get somebody that agrees with want you want to do and ask them if you would lose the ES advantage of further price drops.

Bill

i was easily able to change from a balcony to the pack & go rate, someone on my roll call tried to change from ov to balcony pack & go and was told no can do. I told him to keep calling he said it took him 5 tries and finally got the change plus obc :D

i was easily able to change from a balcony to the pack & go rate, someone on my roll call tried to change from ov to balcony pack & go and was told no can do. I told him to keep calling he said it took him 5 tries and finally got the change plus obc :D

That was me! Just keep trying-they eventually said YES!