Soft-Serve...What is it really?

rpmljm

Does anyone know what the soft serve "ice cream" really is? Is it ice milk, frozen yogurt, or something else? It doesn't taste creamy like real ice cream.

Many people love it. I'm always disappointed in it when I try it. It's been 3 years since we cruised, has it changed at all? Thanks, just curious. :o

It's soft serve. Either ice cream or yogurt.

Haven't had any soft serve ice cream that tastes like scooped. Not Carvel. Not Fosters. Not Dairy Queen.

It is a premade mix. Every once in a while I'll see them pour from the cartons into the machines.

In some allergy threads there are pix of the ingredients.

Edited by SadieN

It's soft serve. Either ice cream or yogurt.

Haven't had any soft serve ice cream that tastes like scooped. Not Carvel. Not Fosters. Not Dairy Queen.

It is a premade mix. Every once in a while I'll see them pour from the cartons into the machines.

In some allergy threads there are pix of the ingredients.

I agree that soft ice cream and scooped ice cream are not the same, but soft ice cream that I am used to getting here at home is creamier and not so icy. I just don't care for it.

There are two machines, one marked ice cream and the other marked frozen yogurt.

As to what it really is... it is a liquid poured from a bag into the machine which ends up becoming frozen before dispersed. This liquid comes from Sysco, Carnival's food supplier.

Edited by Disconnections

I love the soft serve ice cream and make sure I know where the machines are on the first day. Usually two in the buffet area near the main pool and one on the back deck. I am usually there 2-3 times a day with a bowl... why waste a good cone :)

Does anyone know what the soft serve "ice cream" really is? Is it ice milk, frozen yogurt, or something else? It doesn't taste creamy like real ice cream.

Many people love it. I'm always disappointed in it when I try it. It's been 3 years since we cruised, has it changed at all? Thanks, just curious. :o

I Googled it and came up with this article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=680377

Not very appetizing to taste so good. Lol.

The chocolate and vanilla are horrible (I dont like chocolate ice cream anyway)

The strawberry is quite nice though as is the frozen yoghurt.

I also hate the cones, the taste stale so I have mine in a bowl.

Most soft serve ice creams are a whole lot of air...quite literally.

Lets not forget the sugar, fat, stabilisers, emulsifiers, e numbers and thickeners that are used too....however I would like to point out not all these things are bad for you.

The soft serve is actually better for you than the ice cream in the MDR because the air gives it less calories but you feel like you are eating more.

I have to admit that I am not an ice cream eater; I like it, it doesn't like me.

But on another cruise, I won't tell you its Royal Caribbean, they have the hard serve kind in the Windjammer every night, served to you by one of their staff.

Related question - when we were on Ecstasy last summer, the soft serve machines were beyond slow to dispense. By the time you filled a bowl, you had literally earned it waiting. Is this true on all ships or did we just have crappy machines on Ecstasy?

I think ice milk is probably more correct than ice cream. Which ever it is we like it. We like the choc/vanilla swirled. Don't get me wrong, its NOT the french pot style ice cream from Graeters in Cincinnati that we are used to. But it'll do in a pinch.

The soft serve on the ship is pretty bad. It's basically like Dairy Queen than anything you'd get at a real ice cream place like Carvel.

I won't touch the stuff on the ships.

IMO...it's much worse than Dairy Queen. I won't waste the calories.

in my honest opinion.. its like frozen 2% milk(with sugar) .. pressed out of a machine in a fancy swirl pattern to most resemble ice cream.. Thats the best I can describe it.

Tastes NOTHING like true true ice cream..