Soft-Serve...What is it really?

rpmljm

There are different grades of soft serve available. I'm sure Carnival uses a lower grade than some of the ice cream shops. We have two ice cream shops within a few miles of our house. One uses a higher grade than the other and you can really tell the difference.

Very true. Recently I told DH that Mr. Softee quality seemed better than Carvel. I hadn't had either in years, then suddenly had both within a week. I was very surprised to learn days later that Mr. Softee is, in fact, higher quality than Carvel. The biggest thing that stood out to me was the Softee's mix uses cane sugar, and Carvel uses corn syrup. Makes a huge difference in mouthfeel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my daughter, who craves soft serve daily , does not eat it on CCL she also says its icy like not smooth and creamy , i however eat hers and mine lol she does try it every time

Just off the triumph yesterday. The soft serve ice cream there was delicious. Creamy, no ice crystals. Maybe it depends on how well the machines work not what is put in them? I like butter pecan scooped better but it was always melted by the time the waiters would get it to the table so the lido option was a good alternative especially if you wanted to make a milk shake or float or if you want a little ice cream on your brownie. I do wish they had nuts.

I love the soft serve ice cream and make sure I know where the machines are on the first day. Usually two in the buffet area near the main pool and one on the back deck. I am usually there 2-3 times a day with a bowl... why waste a good cone :)

Plus get a banana to make a banana split, yummy :).

The ice crystals form when it converts from a liquid in bag form to the "cream" too slowly. I'd guess it's from the bags being at ambient temperatures instead of being at the verge of freezing when they go into the machines.

• Like 1

FYI - The ice cream they serve in the Steakhouse and in the MDR very good.

This is what is in the frozen yogurt and the frozen dessert. If the food company won't call it ice cream, then I won't either.:D

yogurtingredients_zps1d2099e8.jpgicecreamingredients_zpse0cbf7fc.jpg

There you go right there! That's why it tastes so awful. It's chalky and icy and made of water and palm kernel oil and HFCS. I admit I've inhaled my fair share, however!

FYI - The ice cream they serve in the Steakhouse and in the MDR very good.

This is what is in the frozen yogurt and the frozen dessert. If the food company won't call it ice cream, then I won't either.:D

yogurtingredients_zps1d2099e8.jpgicecreamingredients_zpse0cbf7fc.jpg

I had a look at those cartons when a crew member as re-filling the machines and noticed that the ice cream ain't ice cream. At least the first ingredient in the yogurt is skim milk. But I do find it better than what RCCL puts in their machines. It has a yellowish color and tastes awful. On NCL and Celebrity you can get real hard-packed ice cream in the buffets. And both are excellent and come in a vareity of flavors. Even sugar free and sorbet. If you want that on Carnival you have to eat in the mdr and you don't get the variety.

• 2 weeks later...

OK...just off Pride yesterday and it seems I have to "eat" my words. The soft serve was actually good on this cruise. I was shocked. It was creamy and not at all icy. It had a good taste as well. Go figure!

OK...just off Pride yesterday and it seems I have to "eat" my words. The soft serve was actually good on this cruise. I was shocked. It was creamy and not at all icy. It had a good taste as well. Go figure!

It's nice to see someone on these boards with a mature attitude that is willing to "eat" their words. :)

I totally agree! I just got off the Liberty (which was the ship I tried the ice cream on the first time when I didn't care for it) and it was much better than before. Maybe they changed providers.

Edited by MissKIA

There is a very good chance that the soft serve is a completely non-dairy product. Which would explain it's taste.

According to the picture posted it does have dairy - nonfat milk solids, buttermilk powder and whey powder - all of which are dairy.

I had a look at those cartons when a crew member as re-filling the machines and noticed that the ice cream ain't ice cream.

This is simply due to FDA definitions. You will never see a food manufacturer refer to any form of soft serve as "ice cream." In order to be called "ice cream" a product must contain at least 10% butterfat. However, butterfat causes the product to harden more (think of how hard a stick of butter is in the fridge), so soft serve mixes generally have less fat than ice cream, usually 5-6%.

However, that places it in a bit of a donut hole. The FDA also has a classification called "low fat ice cream" but that can't contain more than 2.6% butter fat. So, soft serve is in a bit of a quandary. The simply choose to call it "frozen dessert" which is the general term the FDA uses for all such products.

That isn't to say Carnival's soft serve is at all natural. The ingredients show it is is pretty nasty. Still, when I'm sweating my dangly bits off in the Caribbean sun and want a quick cool treat, I grab a bowl. A few servings are no big deal. I just wouldn't eat too much. You can always get real ice cream off the dessert menu in the main dining room. I am just glad it's an option when I want a cool treat.

I think ice milk is probably more correct than ice cream. Which ever it is we like it. We like the choc/vanilla swirled. Don't get me wrong, its NOT the french pot style ice cream from Graeters in Cincinnati that we are used to. But it'll do in a pinch.

I agree with you. It may not be the best, but we still enjoy it after lunch and maybe in the evening.

I'm not sure what it is, but I do know I only eat it for special occasions... like after breakfast, mid-morning, after lunch, mid-afternoon, early evening since I do late dining, after dinner, and then I usually have some on my late night pre-bedtime walk. Other than that I usually just leave it alone.