Martini, Wine Tastings and pub crawls

TardisDance

Does anyone know the 2014 prices for the martini, wine tastings and pub crawls? Are the generous in their pours? I know from experience from going on distillery and brewery tours, sometimes the hosts can be stingy if the tours are crowded. Any info would be appreciated

Does anyone know the 2014 prices for the martini, wine tastings and pub crawls? Are the generous in their pours? I know from experience from going on distillery and brewery tours, sometimes the hosts can be stingy if the tours are crowded. Any info would be appreciated

The wine tastings and martini tastings were $15 on the Gem in May. We didn't participate so can't help there. I didn't catch the cost of the pub crawl (if they even did one).

Edited by sparks1093

Never been to a wine tasting, but have done the martini, margarita, and mojito ones, all $15. They are not the tiny pours you get at winery tastings for instance. Not huge glasses, but fair sized. You will be challenged to finish one before they come around with the next one, usually about 6 in total. They are definitely not watered down. The bartenders and fellow passengers usualLy make them lots of fun. Sometimes a nap is required immediately after.

You did not say what ship. The ones we did on the Getaway were very well attended. You cannot sign up in advance, you just show up at the appointed time. They are held in one of the bars where seating is somewhat limited to the bar and cocktail tables and chairs in the area. We always showed up early to claim some good real estate. I highly advise or you may be standing.

Edited by punkincc

We have done the martini tastings many times and always found them to be a ton of fun and well worth the $15 charge. We actually had to put our hand over our glasses so the waiters would stop refilling, lol. We could easily have had two full glasses of each flavor by our 3rd tasting that week! I'm pretty sure there were at least 4 flavors but it could've been 5. I have the most recent dailies someone from Breakaway posted and we are disappointed to see that there is only one martini tasting listed. We did 3 on the Epic last January. The bar/pub crawl lists $25 pp and 4 bars. Dh has done the beer tastings and whiskey tastings and enjoyed those as well.

I've done wine, mojitos and martini. Each have been the real glasses the bar uses and a normal pour to 3/4 pour. Usually trivia or games with win additional shots, drinks or prizes. and I have been offered additional wine samples :) once the bottle is opened.

The fee is $15. And they are not included in the UBP.

On my May Gem cruise we had to sign up for martini tasting. People were turned away as it was full - limited seating. There was a line of people waiting to see if there were any no shows. The 2nd martini tasting was the same as the first but the third was different. The regular tasting was available at other times on the menu in the Martini Bar for the same $15 but without the trivia and activities - and martini prizes!

Did the Beer Tasting and it was plenty of beer over the 6 samples

Also did the pub crawl. On the Epic we went to 6 bars and played drinking games, by the 6th bar, most of us were staggering. It is mentioned in the Freestyle daily. I believe it is the second sea day. Don't remember cost($20?), or time of event(4pm?) ;) We met at the atrium bar

Eat before you go. :)

We have done the wine tasting and martini tasting: I don't remember the price of the wine tasting but the martini tasting is still $15, fun and worth it, plus you can share with someone else. As for the bar crawl, to me, everyone I have seen, including our grandson in law were blasted and a bit obnoxious.

Is there only one night for each tasting? Is this something you can sign up for ahead of time?

We have done the wine tasting and martini tasting: I don't remember the price of the wine tasting but the martini tasting is still $15, fun and worth it, plus you can share with someone else. As for the bar crawl, to me, everyone I have seen, including our grandson in law were blasted and a bit obnoxious.

Well I think that is the nature of a pub crawl. It is easy to drink more than you normally would just sitting at a bar. Getting obnoxious just means people had a few too many lol Being loud is one thing. Running, screaming, pushing, swearing is when that person needs to be brought to their room.

Is there only one night for each tasting? Is this something you can sign up for ahead of .

I have never been on a ship where you could sign up in advance for a tasting. Time and location will be listed in the Freestyle Daily. Just get there early and let the bartender know you are there for the tasting and they will run your card. They are always held in the afternoons. I have seen them do maybe a Martini tasting in one bar, and then a Margarita tasting immediately after in the bar across the hall. ( poor planning on their part ) Now that is when you can get into some real trouble!

Sometimes they might have a couple Martini tastings during the week, sometimes only one. Varies by ship, no rhyme or reason, maybe moon phase who knows.

Sailed on the Gem last year and was always intrigued when I saw the tastings listed in the Daily, but my bf and I didn't know what to expect from them or if they would be worth it. We are sailing on the Breakaway in Sept. and from reading this thread, my interest has certainly piqued! Maybe we will try one out this time around :p

I saw the pub crawl on the dawn and it looked so fun ! I'm definitely doing it next time .

Did the pub crawl on the Dawn last month. $25, 5 bars with drinking game at each stop. At one bar we had 2 drinks scheduled. It was an absolute blast. They had 2 scheduled for the week.

Dan

Edited by bumorgan

I did both a wine tasting and a martini tasting on the Epic a while back. Both on the same sea day. Not my best plan ;)

The wine tasting was not particularly well attended, but enough that the show went on. They were reasonable pours, not too stingy and not too generous. I think we tasted five different wines, and then between the small group of us, we finished off the bottles at the end.

The martini tasting was ridiculous - in the best of ways. I got there about 20 minutes early and snagged a seat right at the bar. The upside of that was that I was always among the first people served. The downside (... ha) was that when they were done serving and had extra - into my glass it went! I probably had the equivalent of seven or eight full martinis - and they were not weak! - in the course of that tasting. Needless to say, I had a nice long nap that afternoon ;)

Both were well worth the $15 - but the martini tasting was, in my opinion, a far better value.

For what it's worth - I missed the beer tasting because the martini tasting did me in.

LOL Al, and you didn't even have any of the "bonus" drinks. If memory serves, the pub crawl started earlier in the afternoon, 2 or 3, and lasted about 45mins. Our group was very small, only 8 people, I think, so it went pretty quickly. It cost $25 for... Several drinks. Each bar had a different offering (lots of mixing, rum, vodka, beer... No options). The cups were smaller plastic cups (maybe 12oz? Not as big as the bigger red, "to go"/solo cups), but the mixed drinks were fairly strong. Definitely not watered down. 2 of the stops had beer, and one of those was a full can. The group is broken down into teams. Be prepared for games... Yes, they make you think and drink. Some were time based... Think chugging. The (in our case) hostesses scored each round, and the winners often get rewarded... with extra drinks.

The beer tasting was much more sedate. No real special beers (ie think options like Fosters vs local or more craft beer), but for $15 you got your money's worth.

Did the Beer Tasting and it was plenty of beer over the 6 samples

Also did the pub crawl. On the Epic we went to 6 bars and played drinking games, by the 6th bar, most of us were staggering. It is mentioned in the Freestyle daily. I believe it is the second sea day. Don't remember cost($20?), or time of event(4pm?) ;) We met at the atrium bar

Eat before you go. :)

Always enjoyed the tastings and believe they are a great value. I set a private one those on our roll call who wanted to participate...we had a great time.

What a fantastic idea! Did you set it up pre cruise or once on board? Who did you talk to to arrange it? Any min number required? Same $15 fee? Were you in a bar, or did they put you in a private area? Sounds like great fun, especially if we could get our favorite bartender, Bong!

I asked about it when I set up the Meet and Greet and they told me it "should" be possible if I hot a certain minimum number. I think it was 15 but it may have required 20. It wasn't confirmed until we were on board by the Group co-ordinator and the F&B manager. It was held in one of the bars, they set up the "private event" sign at the door. Cost was the usual$15 which as I recall was put on each individual's card. It was a lot of fun. We had it near the end of our NYC roundtrip to Quebec.

I certainly recommend it if you have a fun rollcall.

I did both a wine tasting and a martini tasting on the Epic a while back. Both on the same sea day. Not my best plan ;)

The wine tasting was not particularly well attended, but enough that the show went on. They were reasonable pours, not too stingy and not too generous. I think we tasted five different wines, and then between the small group of us, we finished off the bottles at the end.

The martini tasting was ridiculous - in the best of ways. I got there about 20 minutes early and snagged a seat right at the bar. The upside of that was that I was always among the first people served. The downside (... ha) was that when they were done serving and had extra - into my glass it went! I probably had the equivalent of seven or eight full martinis - and they were not weak! - in the course of that tasting. Needless to say, I had a nice long nap that afternoon ;)

Both were well worth the $15 - but the martini tasting was, in my opinion, a far better value.

For what it's worth - I missed the beer tasting because the martini tasting did me in.

Lol, that's my story too...I agree 100%

Napa are definitely in order after the tastings!