Conversation Starters

jaspersmycat

For some reason, probably because we are at sea, I get the "why didn't

the shark eat the lawyer? Professional courtesy" joke almost every cruise. That goes along with general "I hate lawyers" comments. They really don't bother me- the worst of the worst is when I say I'm a matrimonial lawyer and I hear all about their divorce (a lot of times we've been at tables with a noncustodial parent taking his/her kids on a cruise). Extra points if the subject veers into child support with the kids sitting right there. Most people don't ask what jobs everyone has- no one wants to talk about home on a cruise. But eventually, after a few nights of sitting there waiting for entrees, the subject comes up.

Hell I would have taken my divorce lawyer AND the judge on a cruise with me if I could have . They did Ok by me and my kids

Got a kick out of the couple (he 91, she 90) who during the round of intros the first nite at our table for 10, started off by saying "We're 2 jews from joisey" They turned out to be our favorite shipmates in 10 cruises. Just hope I make it that far w/o drooling.

world's worst bar pick up line... He - "you must have a lot of overdue library books" She - "Why would you say that?" He - "Cuz you've got FINE written all over you"

One night we were with 2 other couples who were discussing teaching techniques and one said "whoever doesn't think Common Core is the best thing that happened to America, is a moron". the others agreed and then he glared at me and said. "And what is YOUR opinion?". I said "we don't have any children, so we haven't paid attention to this".

We were on a tour and a woman wanted to know how much the tour guide made annually and what the business brought in.

We shared a table on deck with a couple who when we said we were from London (we aren't but few people have a detailed knowledge of uk geography) proceeded to tell us it was a filthy city because of all the foreigners living there.....the conversation died at that point.

Got a kick out of the couple (he 91, she 90) who during the round of intros the first nite at our table for 10, started off by saying "We're 2 jews from joisey" They turned out to be our favorite shipmates in 10 cruises. Just hope I make it that far w/o drooling.

world's worst bar pick up line... He - "you must have a lot of overdue library books" She - "Why would you say that?" He - "Cuz you've got FINE written all over you"

AHHHHHHHHH cheesiest pick up lines ....a thread unto itself *LOL*

We shared a table on deck with a couple who when we said we were from London (we aren't but few people have a detailed knowledge of uk geography) proceeded to tell us it was a filthy city because of all the foreigners living there.....the conversation died at that point.

Look on the bright side. When something like that happens the moment you meet someone, it's a real time saver. Imagine it you had invested precious vacation time conversing with them before they showed their true colors. :)

Not on a cruise but at Walt Disney World years ago. Struck up a conversation with a retired sheriff from Lousiana . This man was THE carbon copy of Sheriff Buford T. Justice from the Smokey and The Bandit movies.

Funny guy to sit, have a few drinks with and BS. Glad he never pulled me over though *LOL*

I love the people who ask "Do you know (person's name)?" when you say you are from (country name) or (State name).

Of course - it could happen that we know them!

It happened to us on our last cruise - a table mate at dinner (Anytime Dining) was from Washington state, and as the conversation progressed, turns out she knew my next-door-neighbor's daughter - she was one of her Masters of Divinity professors.

That's probably another good thread - "small world" encounters on a cruise!

We were held captive for seven nights at a four top by a couple who were so fixated on their hatred of the president that no attempt to change the subject was successful. They were hoping for an assassination and we left the cruise wondering if we should call the FBI. I will never allow that situation to happen again. The subject will be dropped or we will eat in the Lido. People need to leave politics at home and enjoy their cruise.

If you are doing fixed traditional dining you don't have to be held captive or eat elsewhere to avoid table-mates; you can ask to be moved to another table (or switch to flexible dining).

If you are doing fixed traditional dining you don't have to be held captive or eat elsewhere to avoid table-mates; you can ask to be moved to another table (or switch to flexible dining).

That's what we did once.

We were at a table with a father and son who lived a three hour drive away from us. The kid liked war, anthing and everything to do with war. My mother lived through the 2nd World War and her home in Germany was bombed just before the war ended. Her life, immediately afterwards, until she immigrated to Canada, was greatly affected as I'm sure many of you can relate to. We lasted only the one night with them.

I sure hope the kid never finds out the realities of war!

I'm sitting here counting my blessings I haven't had some of your experiences. Talk about inappropriate topics of conversation! The worst (and it wasn't that bad) was my very first cruise. I was assigned to a table for two with one other woman traveling alone: a nice enough lady, but we had little else in common. I felt badly about leaving her to eat alone, so I ate in the MDR every.single.night, even when I didn't want to.

It wasn't terrible, but she showed up very drunk after the Captain's reception on a formal night, and got a rather maudlin about her late husband. Again, nothing terrible, and certainly nothing that a little empathy and compassion couldn't help, but that first cruise taught me a couple of things:

1. I didn't especially like that particular cruise, but knew I'd want to keep cruising.

2. I didn't like formal nights.

3. I didn't like assigned seating.

4. In future, I would insist on being seated at the largest possible table, or would insist on being seated completely alone. No more tables of two, thank you.

Look on the bright side. When something like that happens the moment you meet someone, it's a real time saver. Imagine it you had invested precious vacation time conversing with them before they showed their true colors. :)

Oh we did appreciate the fact that we found out early.

I think we would ask to be moved today but back then we were fairly new to cruising and didn't like to upset anyone that we would be running into again and again.

I think we would ask to be moved today but back then we were fairly new to cruising and didn't like to upset anyone that we would be running into again and again.

I'd be inclined to dig in and try to "win" the table, but that's just me. ;)

Last cruise we were in a 6 top the first night with an older couple and their 2 adult kids (brother and sister in their 30s). The next evening they were gone and replaced by another older couple. We got lucky on that exchange as the first group was a bit "odd". Then again, they likely found us as "odd".

I wonder why someone with 4 people would book a 6 top, as it makes for a strange situation? Either go with a 4 top or a large table IMO.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

With a nod to our Canadian Friends,

On a Boston-Montreal-Boston cruise board the Maasdam after a day in Quebec,my wife asked a table mate how she liked her day in the city. She replied:

"It was lovely! It was like being in another country!"

I took a long sip on my cocktail and sighed.

You cant make this stuff up.

This thread validates our decision to switch to 2-tops some years ago.;) And we find the occupants of the adjacent 2-tops seem to be of like mind to us, and only pleasant chats pass from table to table. It's a very friendly community.:D

I do things a little differently. If we are amongst dinner company that we detest, I attempt to figure out their trigger, and then focus in on that. I then steer the conversation to be the most agonizing as possible. Usually by day two we find they are no longer seated with us.

• Sent from my screen to yours.

I do things a little differently. If we are amongst dinner company that we detest, I attempt to figure out their trigger, and then focus in on that. I then steer the conversation to be the most agonizing as possible. Usually by day two we find they are no longer seated with us.

• Sent from my screen to yours.

*LOL*

Oh you and I would have a great time together.

When I find a good pigeon , I love to screw with them. *LOL*

4 of us travel together (2 couples) We always tell our agent that if they can't get us a table for 8 or 10, then we want a table for 4. It is just uncomfortable for another couple at a table for 6, esp given that we have known each other for 40+ years and have been traveling together for better than 15.

Plus it takes the pressure off of us to be inclusive.

With a nod to our Canadian Friends,

On a Boston-Montreal-Boston cruise board the Maasdam after a day in Quebec,my wife asked a table mate how she liked her day in the city. She replied:

"It was lovely! It was like being in another country!"

I took a long sip on my cocktail and sighed.

You cant make this stuff up.

Very funny! :D

On our honeymmoon cruise on Commadore in 1994 we were assigned to a 4-top (This was a small ship with only assigned dining with one dining room). On the first night the 2nd couple did not show up. The second night was the first formal night and I was wearing my US Air Force Mess Dress (tuxedo equivalent) with all medals and decoration worn as required. The 2nd couple showed up and and while we were perusing the menu the wife said to me "So, how many people did you have to kill to get those medals?" My new wife just pulled her napkin from her lap, stood up, and said "We'll be dining elsewhere tonight".

We explained our situation to the Maitre D and we were placed at a 2-top for the rest of our cruise. And it's been a 2-top for cruising ever since.

...On a Boston-Montreal-Boston cruise board the Maasdam after a day in Quebec, my wife asked a table mate how she liked her day in the city. She replied: "It was lovely! It was like being in another country!"...

...and the scariest part is that they reproduce.

Scott & Karen