Vantage FlightChoice--$100 Extra and No Transfers

FuelScience

I posted a question about this a couple of weeks ago and thought that I had the right answer, but a call to Vantage today showed that I was wrong.

I wanted to fly into Amsterdam a day or two early for a cruise next year. If I used Vantage for air, it would require that I pay $100 for their FlightChoice service. The normal air service includes transfers from airport to the ship.

I was told today that by paying $100/person extra to fly in early, I lose all the transfers, so in addition to paying extra for early flights I would have to arrange and pay for all my transfers--airport to hotel and hotel to ship.

I'm seriously thinking about NOT using Vantage for my air arrangements.

FuelScience

Looks like you need to do some shopping . . .

In your situation, folks have had success, once on board the ship, getting transfer to the departure airport, the hotel director and cruise director do have discretion. But that's a gamble . . .

I think other cruise lines/river cruise companies have similar policies for flying in early.... So Vantage is not alone in this. You've got some research to do! Now the fun part begins :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, since I would be leaving on the normal debarkation day, the transfers on the back end of the cruise would still be included. It's just the front end transfers that wouldn't be included. We would have to arrive on embarkation day for those transfers to be included.

Sorry that I wasn't clear in the first post.

FuelScience

Actually, since I would be leaving on the normal debarkation day, the transfers on the back end of the cruise would still be included. It's just the front end transfers that wouldn't be included. We would have to arrive on embarkation day for those transfers to be included.

Sorry that I wasn't clear in the first post.

FuelScience

That makes sense. They are probably using buses or vans for the transfers, and they only charter them for the embarkation day.

Before you do anything, I think you need to look at round trip airfare for the dates you want to travel and add in the cost of a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Then and only then, can you really decide whether or not it's worth adding $200 to your arriving flight. And if it were me, I wouldn't be above trying to get Vantage to drop the flight choice fee in lieu of your NOT requiring them to transport you to the hotel AND you will be booking THEIR hotel for your extended stay. They usually work with you on stuff like this. I agree with jazzbeau, the reason they won't give you transport on your early arrival is because they hire buses to pick up the larger groups arriving on day of departure. One plus to hiring your own taxi for the return trip: depending on where you're flying from, you could have an early morning flight. Vantage will have a bus taking the biggest group to the airport, where you might have to depart the ship at say 3:00 a.m. (happened to me 2x) and then spend two hours in a partially opened airport till your 7 a.m. departure! If you hire your own taxi, he will pick you up when YOU tell him to. Of course if taxi is late and you miss your flight, you're on your own.

If you fly in a couple days early, where were you expecting to be transferred to? The ship is not going to be there. I assume you would be going to a hotel.

That being said all you have to do is walk downstairs at Schiphol and catch the train to central station. It will cost 4 or 5 Euro and you can catch a cab to hotel or, an embarkation day, walk to the ship quite easily.

Edited by Los_Pepes

We usually save at lease 200 usd per person by booking our airfare using one of the large online airfare websites. We have traveled from Schiphol to Central Station by train and then taking a tram or walking to our hotel. However,the train can be tough if you have large luggage and it is rush hour. This past November we used "Connexxion Hotel Shuttle" . They have a booth inside Schiphol and use eight passenger Mercedes vans. The cost was about 17 euros per person to the Moevenpick hotel which is located near Central Station and almost next door to where several riverboats dock. GOODLUCK and GOOD HUNTING.icon10.gif

If you fly in a couple days early, where were you expecting to be transferred to? The ship is not going to be there. I assume you would be going to a hotel.

That being said all you have to do is walk downstairs at Schiphol and catch the train to central station. It will cost 4 or 5 Euro and you can catch a cab to hotel or, an embarkation day, walk to the ship quite easily.

Only thing I wouldn't agree with is the easy walk to the ship......depending on where the boat is docked, it could be quite a long walk from the hotel, especially with luggage. The train is fine, but after flying all night from US, I would spring for the taxi and hope the hotel has a room ready for you that early in the day.

Hydrokitty is correct that it really does depend on where the ship is parked. We were there a few weeks ago and about 6 river cruise ships were parked directly behind central station. I usually spring for a cab as well after long flights but AMS makes it so easy to take a train. To each his own but if cost is an issue take a train to central station and a cab (or walk) from there.