Live from Avalon Creativity

Suzanne123

We have been so busy. This is day 5 and the first time I have had a couple minutes to even post to CC. Every single day has brought highlights -- Monet's gardens, the American cemetary at Normandy, talking to a 95 year old veteran of WWII at the museum at Arromarche, climbing the hill to Richard the Lion-Hearted's castle, wonderful guest lecturers (This was sold as a WWI cruise, and there was a day long tour to the Somme.)

Food, staff, tours all just wonderful.

It looks like we might get some rain later today, but we have had beautiful weather so far.

Fellow cruisers are mostly American, Canadian, Australian. Dress for dinner is nicely casual. No jeans, but no suits either.

I only had one problem with my non chip and pin VISA in a little store in Giverny, but every other local store was fine with my card.

I was surprised that the electrical outlets on the Creativity are all European, but the front desk gave me an adapter to recharge my IPad.

Anyway, the trip has been great. Already perusing their Danube itinerary. :)

On board sailing toward Conflans-Paris. Absolutely first rate cruising experience all week. Happy to answer any questions.

We're taking the same cruise in October of 2015. My wife is looking forward to the Taste of Normandy tour including the Bayeux Tapestry. Did you or anyone you know on the cruise take that tour? If so, any opinions? I've personally done the Normandy beaches and American cemetery tour. It was a highly emotional, moving experience. It just has to be on one's bucket list if you're a U.S. citizen on this trip.

Bob

I'll see if I can find someone who took the taste of Normandy tour to get a review for you.

We were in Bayeux two years ago and took the Utah Beach tour with Battlebus. The museum that houses the Bayeux Tapestry was a couple blocks from the Churchill hotel where we stayed. It's a very pretty little town.

I was surprised that the electrical outlets on the Creativity are all European, but the front desk gave me an adapter to recharge my IPad.I was surprised that the electrical outlets on the Creativity are all European, but the front desk gave me an adapter to recharge my IPad.

Anyway, the trip has been great. Already perusing their Danube itinerary. :)

As far as electrical, we realized that only days before leaving the States (should read everything about the ship, which we did not do until almost too late!) so we were prepared. Forgot to add this to Tips section of our review. And, though many electrical items now work with either voltage, some do not and would need not just an adapter but also a converter! Just for future cruisers to keep in mind.

As far as the Danube, we did Budapest to Amsterdam this past month on Avalon Impression and it was FANTASTIC!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the report Suzanne. We'll be arriving in Paris 2 weeks from TODAY and board the Creativity on the 12th. Good Head's Up on the adapter, but I always carry one when out of the states. That and my passport -speaking of passports... Did the ship keep your passport? That's not my idea of a good thing when I am off the ship. Enjoy.

No, we had to produce our passports when we boarded, but we have them in the safe in the cabin.

One thing I'm glad I did before we left was to register our travel plans with the Dept. of State. They have been sending warnings about demonstrations planned for cities on our itinerary. Trying to avoid problems when we can.

No, we had to produce our passports when we boarded, but we have them in the safe in the cabin.

One thing I'm glad I did before we left was to register our travel plans with the Dept. of State. They have been sending warnings about demonstrations planned for cities on our itinerary. Trying to avoid problems when we can.

Thanks, Suzanne. The State Dept tip is good, too. ENJOY!

Here's the US State Dept Site for this program. https://step.state.gov/step/

Edited by traveller99

Thanks for the report Suzanne. We'll be arriving in Paris 2 weeks from TODAY and board the Creativity on the 12th. Good Head's Up on the adapter, but I always carry one when out of the states. That and my passport -speaking of passports... Did the ship keep your passport? That's not my idea of a good thing when I am off the ship. Enjoy.

Carrying my passport is not my idea of a good thing when I am off the ship. If that gets lost, you will miss lots of sightseeing while you get it straightened out. We only carry passport copies on shore.

We always keep our passports in the room safe. We never take them off the ship unless we are instructed to, as in the case where we were doing a tour in Austria and rejoining the ship in Germany - we were told to take them "just in case" there was any (non)border crossing issues. Really dreaded pickpocket possibilities that day!!

On board sailing toward Conflans-Paris. Absolutely first rate cruising experience all week. Happy to answer any questions.

Hi, Suzanne

We will be cruising the same one in a couple of weeks with 5 other couples. How is the dining room tables set up as far as sizes? Do they have tables for 12 by any chance?

Thanks, Dor

--just talked to the maître-d. He doesn't reserve tables, but if your group arrives together, they can push tables together to accommodate you. They do have round tables for 8, and other rectangular set-ups for four and six.

I'm not sure how to rotate pictures from my IPad, but you'll get the general idea of the smaller table set-up. ( The dining room is usually much prettier, but it's late, and they are still cleaning up from dinner.)

image.jpg.f9c2484abfa29fa54c7681b561dc9d28.jpg

Hi, Suzanne

Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to the maitre'd and also sending the picture. We might end up doing tables of 6 and switching around each evening. Any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Dor