What Cruise Lines Leave from Calif Going to Hawaii?

CalifGirl67

Our last three cruises were the Princess RTs from LA to Hawaii, and obviously it's my favorite itinerary. If someone is bored on those sea days, IMO they are difficult to please. There's a cultural program that was started some six to eight years ago (I think) by one cruise director and a musical duo named Elua (Leialoha and Dave). You can take hula lessons, uke lessons, lei making lessons, go to cultural talks about how to talk like a Hawaiian, sit in the Piazza or the pool deck and listen to Elua perform beautiful Hawaiian melodies. Usually there's a movie based in Hawaii that plays on the Movies Under the Stars screen in the morning and often on the in-cabin TV.

You can also just fly there and stay in one of the resorts or hotels if you want to maximize your time. That would be my choice if not doing the Princess cruises.

Our last three cruises were the Princess RTs from LA to Hawaii' date=' and obviously it's my favorite itinerary. If someone is bored on those sea days, IMO they are difficult to please. There's a cultural program that was started some six to eight years ago (I think) by one cruise director and a musical duo named Elua (Leialoha and Dave). You can take hula lessons, uke lessons, lei making lessons, go to cultural talks about how to talk like a Hawaiian, sit in the Piazza or the pool deck and listen to Elua perform beautiful Hawaiian melodies. Usually there's a movie based in Hawaii that plays on the Movies Under the Stars screen in the morning and often on the in-cabin TV.

You can also just fly there and stay in one of the resorts or hotels if you want to maximize your time. That would be my choice if not doing the Princess cruises.[/quote']

Thanks for the info, if hubby can manage to get that many days off together then it would work out. Just trying to weigh out the cost of flying 12 hrs, hotel,food etc. My hubby loves to eat so he likes the cruising plus next year will be 20th Anniv so planning ahead ;) How is Princess compared to Royal and others?

Thanks for the info, if hubby can manage to get that many days off together then it would work out. Just trying to weigh out the cost of flying 12 hrs, hotel,food etc. My hubby loves to eat so he likes the cruising plus next year will be 20th Anniv so planning ahead ;) How is Princess compared to Royal and others?

You will find that each cruise line has their supporters. We sail Princess and love them.

I'm trying to figure out which cruise lines go to Hawaii leaving from a port in California without having to go to every cruise line website?I have looked at several but not finding very much. Maybe someone who has cruised to Hawaii from a Calif port can let me know or anyone who has some info? Thanks :)

Go to some of the cruise line or vacation planners, sales and the schedules, you can find many.

Unfortunately times have changed. I remember our first Hawaiian cruise in December of 2002 we flew to Honolulu from Phoenix for a price of $290 a person round trip. We managed to get a Hotel on the beach for $99 a night and that was with an ocean view. The seven day cruise cost us $750 a person for an inside cabin at the time. I think if you double the prices I have quoted except for the hotel which should be triple would give you a present price what it would cost today. This is from the west coast. Now last year was the second Hawaiian Cruise that we have done and the difference from the first was cruising around trip by ship to Hawaii and back. The cost was under a $1000 a person. That cruise worked out just fine since we have recently retired. If I see a price drop in the next two months I will book that same cruise again out of LA. This subject has come up before and for those who have the time the 15 day round trip cruise to Hawaii is really nice in the fall. I hope this information helps. Tim

Have only been on Carnival and Princess. And we have found Princess to be just right for us.

Well for us it would be a 12 hour flight and my hubby doesn't want to fly over the ocean but will sit in a cruise ship which makes no sense to me. We have been quoted some where around $6,000 which includes airfare if we flew to Hawaii and take the cruise from there,we have also been quoted about the same price flying to Hawaii and not cruising, but doing everything on our own, hotel sight seeing etc. I wish hubby would make up his mind lol :rolleyes:

No factual evidence the OP is flying from California. The OP might originally be from California, but has moved elsewhere, like the East Coast.

You are correct, am from Cali but live in the south so for us it would be about a 12 hr flight since no flights from where I live go to Hawaii directly.

I realize OP said her husband didn't want to fly over the ocean, but just another opinion. We live in Southern California so our flights weren't as long as OPs would be, but they could arrange to maybe stay overnight in Southern California on their way.

I've been to Hawaii 6 times. I searched cruises, and didn't like the idea of 4-5 at sea days going and coming back. That's an awfully lot of time to try and fill with some sort of activity. Then looked at NCL for the cruise around the islands for 7 nights (flying to/from Honolulu) at around $2800 pp.

Our last trip in 2010 we opted to rent houses from VRBO dot com. You are renting from the owners. We had a lovely 3 bedroom home on the Big Island for 5 days and another 3 bedroom on Oahu for 5 days. Our total cost for the 10 day trip including airfare, food, sightseeing, houses, rental car and fuel for the rental car was $1200 pp. There were four of us to split the cost, so if only 2 the cost would be higher.

On the other side of the coin, I took my daughter and granddaughter to Maui in 2011 and paid close to $5000 for the three of us to stay 7 nights in a hotel, with car rental, sightseeing, food, airfare etc.

So Hawaii can be done in a variety of ways. OP and her husband just have to decide what is best for them. They are the only ones that can answer that question.

I realize OP said her husband didn't want to fly over the ocean, but just another opinion. We live in Southern California so our flights weren't as long as OPs would be, but they could arrange to maybe stay overnight in Southern California on their way.

I've been to Hawaii 6 times. I searched cruises, and didn't like the idea of 4-5 at sea days going and coming back. That's an awfully lot of time to try and fill with some sort of activity. Then looked at NCL for the cruise around the islands for 7 nights (flying to/from Honolulu) at around $2800 pp.

Our last trip in 2010 we opted to rent houses from VRBO dot com. You are renting from the owners. We had a lovely 3 bedroom home on the Big Island for 5 days and another 3 bedroom on Oahu for 5 days. Our total cost for the 10 day trip including airfare, food, sightseeing, houses, rental car and fuel for the rental car was $1200 pp. There were four of us to split the cost, so if only 2 the cost would be higher.

On the other side of the coin, I took my daughter and granddaughter to Maui in 2011 and paid close to $5000 for the three of us to stay 7 nights in a hotel, with car rental, sightseeing, food, airfare etc.

So Hawaii can be done in a variety of ways. OP and her husband just have to decide what is best for them. They are the only ones that can answer that question.

Wow, $1200 pp seems great. Maybe you can offer me some tips? So after a long discussion hubby said he is now willing to fly to Hawaii and do a cruise from there on Norwegian or another cruise line doing Hawaii in same port. Norwegian has somegreat land/cruise packages and also cruiseonly even better so im already looking for summer 2015..

Wow, $1200 pp seems great. Maybe you can offer me some tips? So after a long discussion hubby said he is now willing to fly to Hawaii and do a cruise from there on Norwegian or another cruise line doing Hawaii in same port. Norwegian has somegreat land/cruise packages and also cruiseonly even better so im already looking for summer 2015..

NCL is the only cruise line doing the 7day RT itin in Hawaii. Has to do with the PVSA and all it's requirements.