buying rain gear in AK

SparkleBee

our trip is coming up in 3.5 weeks so I'm starting to think about obtaining stuff we'll need. I read that it's cheap and easy to buy rain gear in Alaskan ports. now I have never seen anything good that isn't expensive in a port so I am wondering if this is a good way to go or should we make sure to get everything before we leave? Advice please : )

Just got back from a SB cruise yesterday. We only had a couple of rainy days, but I was pleasantly surprised at all the rain jackets, fleeces, and hoodies that were for sale EVERYWHERE. I saw a few rain jackets that appeared to be of decent quality be in the $25-30 range.

I must say that I packed raincoats with us, so I didn't need to buy any in port.

what specifically do you mean by 'rain gear'?

I've lived in rainy Seattle for 30 yrs and my rain gear consists of a waterproof jacket ( and an umbrella for work).

p.s. Port time is limited. Do you want to waste valuable port time looking for clothing ? It's one thing to pick up a sweatshirt or hoody as you wander thru town, but having to search stores for specific items, sizes, etc doesn't seem like a good way to start off a trip.

Edited by mapleleaves
ps

our trip is coming up in 3.5 weeks so I'm starting to think about obtaining stuff we'll need. I read that it's cheap and easy to buy rain gear in Alaskan ports. now I have never seen anything good that isn't expensive in a port so I am wondering if this is a good way to go or should we make sure to get everything before we leave? Advice please : )
It depends on what you mean by "good" and how important having "good" quality Alaska clothing with a recognizable name brand is to you.

For those who live in cold weather locations, or those who like to go skiing, it can be worthwhile investing in quality name brand outerwear that can be worn all winter long.

But for those who only need something to wear for a few days on an Alaska cruise once or twice a year, the $19.99 warm, hooded jackets and other rain gear sold at the Alaska ports are more than adequate.

On many Alaska cruises, the first port is Ketchikan, where the stores right there by the dock can supply you with everything you will need to keep warm and dry, at very reasonable prices.

Functional rain jackets (not fancy breathable ones obviously, but they keep you dry) are readily available for c. $20 and up in the ports. They don't do diddly to keep your legs or feet dry though. The dirt cheap disposable ponchos often do a better job as they tend to be huge and come down well below the waist unless you're super-tall. I always stick one of those ($1 in a dollar store) inside my camera bag and backpack just in case I'm caught by an unexpected shower.

Umbrellas are often more of an annoyance than a convenience throughout the PNW and SW Alaska - rain often comes with gusty winds, you lose a hand holding the brolly so it's hard to take photos.

Costco sometimes have deals on rainwear - I saw entire rain suits (packable jacket & pants) for $40 earlier in the year here in Vancouver, and Canadian Costcos tend to be a bit pricier than US ones. Amazon, Sierra Trading and other online stores will have similarly-priced items pretty much all year round.

Since you're from the OC I doubt you'll get good value from expensive breathable outfits - you just need something to keep the rain out for a few hours at a time on excursions or on deck.

Regardless of where you live, a decent pair of well-fitting boots is a good investment - unless you literally never walk anywhere. New boots are never a good idea right before a vacation - make sure you buy them at least a few weeks beforehand so you can wear them around, see where they rub, apply sticking plasters, and wear 2 pairs of thin socks while you break them in properly.

Next-best alternative if you're leaving soon would be to waterproof a pair of sneakers with spray. Follow the instructions properly about having them clean, dry or wet, and how many coats to apply/time between coats and any brand of waterproofing should work well enough to keep your feet dry for the whole vacation (don't stand in puddles or streams of course...)

A wide-brimmed hat is one of the most useful pieces of clothing for sun or rain - Tilley will last you a lifetime for c. $75 (literally - if they ever wear out they are replaced with a new hat) and have sizes by the 1/8th", or for a decent ~$20 cotton hat try Columbia/GoLite/Target (sizing tends to be just S/M & L/XL so your may never get one that fits really well, but a little big is good as you can add a hatband to absorb sweat).

At the very least carry a baseball cap so you can wear it under your hood - cheap jackets never have a properly-adjustable hood, sometimes it's hard to keep them from covering your face which is annoying when using a camera.

If you're going early or late in the season, gloves won't hurt either (in a pinch, the extra pair of socks you should always have in your backpack or pocket also make serviceable mittens).

Just back from Alaska today. While in Skagway on Thursday, I overheard a man say to his wife that if he'd known he'd be able to buy jackets so cheaply there, he wouldn't have spent so much money buying gear at home.

perfect - thanks everyone!

you are right, I live in SoCal and rain gear is not something we need much of here so something to get us through a few days is really all we need. we'll buy the jackets there and do the waterproofing spray for sneakers.

I second the idea of a poncho. They're a pain in the butt if it's windy, but if you buy a cheap jacket and it leaks, the poncho is cheap insurance.

I bought a TOTES poncho a few yrs ago for about $6; it folds into a small pouch and stays in my daypack for all trips. (a poncho also provides protection for your daypack)

Have a great trip! it's coming up fast.

Edited by mapleleaves

Leave your umbrellas at home!! In crowded Alaskan ports they are nothing but a hazard to your fellow travelers and the residents that live there. Nothing more frusturating then a couple of tourists walking side by side and taking up the whole sidewalk with their crazy umbrellas.

Leave your umbrellas at home!! In crowded Alaskan ports they are nothing but a hazard to your fellow travelers and the residents that live there. Nothing more frusturating then a couple of tourists walking side by side and taking up the whole sidewalk with their crazy umbrellas.

I agree. Umbrellas are more of a pain than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We will be packing rain gear with us for the trip. My take---even if less expensive in port, won't you get wet going from the ship to a shop? Not to mention the time factor. I had rather see Alaska, not inside a 7-11.

I hate ponchos, so we always do rain jackets. Make sure they are long enough to cover your bum because you may have to sit on a seat that's wet or damp. DH & I both bought the cheap rain jackets while in our first AK port even though we were wearing rain jackets already. I always make sure to get them large enough in case you ever have to layer under them. I doubt this would be the case in August, but you never know. We still wear our jackets with fond memories.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

• 8 months later...

My husband and I are cruising Coral Princess from Anchorage to Vancouver on September 9th, with 5 day pre-cruise land tour of Denali /Talkeetna etc. We have terrific Marmot 800 fill packable down jackets that are water - resistant but not waterproof. We're just not sure if we need rain gear on top of that. We've worn them in drizzling rain and stayed dry, but never in a downpour. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

btc1951: As we all realize it is impossible to predict weather, but in September in interior Alaska (where Denali is located) we expect rain (not drizzles). In September in southeast Alaska rain is also expected. I have been in southeast Alaska in September and experienced downpours. So while you may be lucky and experience sunny clear skies during the entire trip you need to be prepared for serious rain and have a waterproof (not water resistant) outer layer. If you are committed to taking your packable down jackets with you then at least consider waterproof ponchos. I am personally not a fan of ponchos, but at least it would provide a waterproof outer layer.

My husband and I are cruising Coral Princess from Anchorage to Vancouver on September 9th, with 5 day pre-cruise land tour of Denali /Talkeetna etc. We have terrific Marmot 800 fill packable down jackets that are water - resistant but not waterproof. We're just not sure if we need rain gear on top of that. We've worn them in drizzling rain and stayed dry, but never in a downpour. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

IMHO you need a rain proof top layer with a hood. My Patagonia jacket is similar to your Marmot, and I was wet after an hour of pouring rain quite recently. A rain jacket weighs little, takes up little space, and could potentially add a LOT to your enjoyment :)

Thanks for your response, CowPrincess. That's what I was afraid of. Off to Columbia Sportswear outlet tomorrow to look for rain gear.

It is one of those "better to have it and not need it..." things. Also, I'm finding the baffle stitching on my Patagonia lets wind through, so the extra layer might help with how much wind intrudes, y'know? Glad I could help :)

"Packable " is going to be key. Thanks. :)

I wear my rain jacket on the trip to and from the cruise so packing isn't a problem. My rain jacket is unlined so it takes up little room when I take it in a daypack on excursions.

On our first AK cruise I made the mistake of thinking that a water resistant jacket would be enough. BIG mistake! I was soaked to the skin after a couple of hours on deck going into Tracy Arm. Never again. My rain jacket that I have now is waterproof and breathable.

If you want a big selection of outdoor gear ( but mot really cheap) check out the upper level of the Tongass Trading dockside store in Ketchikan. Anything working outdoors could ever want is probably here. I used to love when the whole store was more of the local hardware store, the lower level is now 95% tourist stuff. The upper level is outdoor gear and sporting goods. Check out the photos in the rear staircase to see a neat history of the store and Ketchikan over the years.

On our first AK cruise I made the mistake of thinking that a water resistant jacket would be enough. BIG mistake! I was soaked to the skin after a couple of hours on deck going into Tracy Arm. Never again. My rain jacket that I have now is waterproof and breathable.

What brand do you have?

I hope we won't have drenching rain everyday. We get more than enough rain in Louisiana.

What brand do you have?

I hope we won't have drenching rain everyday. We get more than enough rain in Louisiana.

My first (and favorite) rain jacket was an LLBean Gore-Tex jacket. Just recently I replaced it with a Columbia jacket with their version of Gore-Tex. Both are unlined and large enough to wear a couple of layers under them. I definitely think it won't be a waste for you since you live in an area that gets lots of rain. I wear mine all the time here in coastal Virginia when it is raining. As a matter of fact, I wore it today.

We went out yesterday and bought rain jackets from Columbia and my husband got rain pants from there, along with a few other things we needed. They were having a buy one get one half off sale. I, however ended up getting my rain pants at REI because I'm a petite and the ones at Columbia were way too long on me and REI had them in Petite sizes, unfortunately for a lot more money. But they fit great and I love them. So even though we're not cruising until September, we're all set for rain gear. YAY!

Edited by btc1951