wife broke leg,surgery, cancelled trip?

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your concern. After meeting with the orthopedic surgeon today my wife is having surgery tomorrow. He advised us that due to blood clot issues it would not be wise to travel within a week of surgery. So tomorrow I will be calling travel guard to start the insurance ball rolling. After buying insurance for 10 cruises I finally get my moneys worth. The doctor wrote us a note saying she is not fit for travel. I've never had to collect on the insurance so I hope it isn't too much of a hassle. Thanks again for all the replies and concern.

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery and you are both back on the high seas soon.

Bill

UPDATE: Thanks everyone for your concern. After meeting with the orthopedic surgeon today my wife is having surgery tomorrow. He advised us that due to blood clot issues it would not be wise to travel within a week of surgery. So tomorrow I will be calling travel guard to start the insurance ball rolling. After buying insurance for 10 cruises I finally get my moneys worth. The doctor wrote us a note saying she is not fit for travel. I've never had to collect on the insurance so I hope it isn't too much of a hassle. Thanks again for all the replies and concern.

You will need to cancel with the cruise line first and then start your insurance claim. The cruise line should reimburse your port charges and taxes, prepaid gratuities and possibly any prepaid excursions or dining. They will give you a total of what you can file with insurance so it is helpful if you know what you think the number should be because they were way off in our case.

One other thing is that many people have been able to get the cruise line to move all their funds to a different sailing. From the posts I have seen on cruise critic, they have been very helpful to people who are very close to sail date and who didn't have insurance. We had insurance but would have happily moved our next cruise to a different sailing, but they refused and said we had to file with insurance.

Just something you might want to ask them when you go to cancel.

I hope the surgery goes well and you can sail in the near future.

Sorry to hear you had to cancel but you have to go with what the doctor orders. Even though you are home, you might want to look into a push-type (small wheels) wheelchair. They run around $80 at Walgreens if you get their free member card and ours paid for itself for one broken ankle. And get a bathtub seat and hand-held shower nozzle. Hope she recovers quickly!

My thoughts are with you and your wife

It will be tough if you go in numerous ways not just getting around on the ship and bathing but also ports

Many have done it and since will probably be looking after her anyway it could be easier on ship than home

Like no cooking or housework

All the best and hope she heals well and soon

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Travel Guard is superb to work with, you should have no issues. Good luck to your wife and her recovery.

tazdeb, I'm sorry to hear of your wife's accident, and wish her a quick and complete recovery. Believe me, you made the right decision, and will enjoy a future cruise. Travel Guard is excellent! Just be very diligent in gathering all of the documentation required for your claim, and you'll have a check before you know it. Here is TG info on Trip Cancellation Claims: http://www.travelguard.com/aboutus/claims/claimsTG/.

My husband broke his hip about six weeks before our cruise, and we decided to cancel. He was in the hospital, about five days and had the leg set w/ pins. They were really concerned with blood clots, which I'd think would be a problem with a broken leg as well.

We cancelled the cruise, and rebooked at a lower rate in December. If you decide to wait until early December, you should be able to get some lower rates, and enjoy some pretty Christmas decorations. I think August is a peak season.