Steamer rugs/blankets

CruisinChris

Come to think of it---I don't remember ever seeing a Cunard blanket on deck.

I do clearly remember blanket cabinets--piled high with blankets-- on HAL, during an Alaskan cruise--so I know what you are talking about, Cruisin'Chris.

Maybe, because dear husband and I have sailed in warmer weather on the QM2 when blankets weren't necessary? Maybe, because when the weather is cooler, we don't sit out on deck?

Anyone else remember?

Pepper? You are so observant. Have you ever seen a Cunard deck blanket on any of your QM2 voyages?

... Pepper? You are so observant. Have you ever seen a Cunard deck blanket on any of your QM2 voyages?
Hi jimmybean, thank you for the compliment :o .

I don't think I've seen a steamer blanket on QM2 (or QE & QV) (I had some distant half-memory of maybe seeing tartan ones on the Grills deck on QM2, but my my memory seems to have been playing tricks on me; when I look at my photos, there isn't one in sight :( ). I can't say they've not been/are not provided, they may well be, but it looks as if I've not seen them if they are.

It would seem that these days the readily available pool towels do double duty, and are now used to partially cover people on steamer chairs and loungers, where blankets would have been used in the past.

Thank you again :) ,

Edited by pepperrn

...distant half-memory of maybe seeing tartan ones on the Grills deck on QM2, but my my memory seems to have been playing tricks on me; when I look at my photos, there isn't one in sight..

I saw them on the Grills deck in September 2011. Maybe they're only put out during cooler weather? Maybe too many of them spontaneously generated a set of legs?

Didn't see any at all on our 2012 June transatlantic, and it was pretty nippy. Having them sounds like a great idea, however. I can't even remember what our bedding looked like, i.e., would it be uncouth to use something from one's bed if "official" steamer rugs/blankets aren't available? :D

Hmm. Interesting. I seem to remember seeing some people with them but I don't remember where they got them and whether I succeeded in getting one. I will inquire when I'm aboard in a couple weeks. I'm expecting it to be cool while underway.

Oh - I would think it strange if they don't have them. I've always had them on princess in Alaska.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hmm. Interesting. I seem to remember seeing some people with them but I don't remember where they got them and whether I succeeded in getting one. I will inquire when I'm aboard in a couple weeks. I'm expecting it to be cool while underway.

Oh - I would think it strange if they don't have them. I've always had them on princess in Alaska.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Steamer blankets are provided for every cruise' date=' hot weather or cold, in QG suites [and possibly PG'] and on the Grill's deck. Maybe you saw some of those?

Two friends of mine, who have been reading this thread, very kindly emailed me these links:

http://www.cunard.com/documents/transatlantic/101thingstodo.pdf

"Take notice of #100"

And:

http://shipmonk.co.uk/tag/queen-mary-2/

"About half way down the page"

A warm thank you from me, to them, for these links :)

Edited by pepperrn

Just happened across an old video tape, The Superliners: End of an Era. It was put out by National Geographic in 1979. It chronicles a Westbound QE2 TA in the Fall of 1979 interspersed with historical footage of all the great liners. I mention it here as there are several scenes of the Deck Stewards covering passengers with the traditional Blue wool/red underside/leather trimmed Steamer Rugs. It also has nice scenes of a ship making 30 knots. Not many get to experience that anymore. :D This video is probably in most Libraries collections and is still available online. Great scenes of life onboard QE2.

In Grill class on QM2, V & E as well, I've had a plaid covering in January. For the real thing, the heavy wool steamer rugs bound in leather, every once in a while you can find a QE2 one for sale at Oceans in Southampton.

Oceans is no longer ....................:eek:

Oceans is no longer ....................:eek:

Is Cobwebs still in business in Southampton? If so, I'd imagine that a Cunard steamer rug might occasionally appear there for sale.

Thanks Cap'n. I was inquiring in the hopes of actually being able to use one (to fulfill the item in the Cunard published 100 things to do on Queen Mary 2 list they published a long time ago.) Seems as though the line isn't keen on facilitating. I happen to have a red tartan throw that I may have room for in my luggage. :)

Thanks Cap'n. I was inquiring in the hopes of actually being able to use one (to fulfill the item in the Cunard published 100 things to do on Queen Mary 2 list they published a long time ago.) Seems as though the line isn't keen on facilitating. I happen to have a red tartan throw that I may have room for in my luggage. :)

Who has room in his luggage???? ; )

Black ankle boots? They would be the best "Briskly Walking the Decks" foot ware I will have with me. The "Lounging Languidly in a Big Old School Deck Chair" will prolly follow directly the "Brisk Walking"!

The Black ankle boots will be doing double duty on the trip for riding boots in Normandy and Tuscany ; -)

I thought about bringing my riding boots but they are SO heavy.

Edited by sarafinadh