Can booking be marked "no upgrade"?

New to Carnival here, and am looking for current info. I have searched, but can't find any recent threads that deal with this topic.

I booked online, with a "choose your cabin" type of fare, for an inside cabin. I like its location, so don't want an upgrade. I have been upgraded before on another line to a location on the ship I didn't care for, so I have learned to request "no upgrade" when I book.

I have called two different Carnival phones reps recently, and both told me the same thing. They said that they have no way to mark a booking "no upgrade" and that Carnival NEVER upgrades pax without contacting them first for approval.

Is this correct? If so, it is different from the way things are done on other CCL lines. In addition, I have seen older CC threads that indicate Carnival does upgrade at times with no notice or prior request, so perhaps this is a new policy?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I have never been moved from a cabin that I chose specifically. I have been offered reduced rate upgrades, but they call for that and if you say no it's fine. As far is I know if you book a rate that allows you to choose your own cabin they won't move you without talking to you. I think the only exception would be if you book a handicap cabin and don't actually need it. But I don't know for sure. Might be an issue also if you booked a 4 person cabin for 2 and they need the space.

You pay a premium to choose your own cabin rather than taking a steep discount to go wherever they place you, so it would be unwise for Carnival to upgrade without consulting you first.

There are a couple of exceptions such as if you book a handicap room but don't have a special need, or book a multiple person room and there are only 2 of you. They can move you if they need the room. That is explained to you in detail if they allow you to book a special needs room.

I have never been moved from a cabin that I chose specifically....I think the only exception would be if you book a handicap cabin and don't actually need it. But I don't know for sure. Might be an issue also if you booked a 4 person cabin for 2 and they need the space.

Thanks for your response. I am going solo this trip, and booked a 2-person, non-handicap cabin. I hope Carnival leaves me there!

Carnival doesn't do upgrades like Princess does. What you book is what you keep.

Unless--You've booked an HC cabin that you do not need or a higher occupancy cabin that you do not need.

I have never been moved from a cabin that I chose specifically. I have been offered reduced rate upgrades, but they call for that and if you say no it's fine. As far is I know if you book a rate that allows you to choose your own cabin they won't move you without talking to you. I think the only exception would be if you book a handicap cabin and don't actually need it. But I don't know for sure. Might be an issue also if you booked a 4 person cabin for 2 and they need the space.

I actually have been moved without my knowledge. I booked a specific room - a triple - and, without my knowledge or approval, was moved (accidently, supposedly) to another triple farther away from my original booking. I just happened to be looking over my reservation and noticed I was moved. I called my then PVP at Carnival, he couldn't tell me why I was moved, supervisors couldn't tell me why - and in the meantime, my originally booked room was booked by someone else. I kept getting apologies along with "there's nothing we can do".

I got on CC posted my displeasure and vowed to never give Carnival another penny of my money, and someone from Carnival soon posted in my thread giving me an email address and asking me to email them the details. So I did and to make a long story short, within a day or two, I had my original room back. I can only assume they offered the person who booked my original room a very nice upgrade and they accepted it.

And I got a new PVP.

Ordinarily, if you pick your room, you shouldn't be moved without your approval (unless, as others have stated, you booked a HC room or booked 2 people in a cabin that holds 4). However, it DOES happen, although probably not very often. And, as a side note, every booking I've had since then, my PVP puts a note on the booking NOT to move me without my approval. So yes, they can put a note in the booking for no upgrades, and they should note that at your request.

New to Carnival here, and am looking for current info. I have searched, but can't find any recent threads that deal with this topic.

I booked online, with a "choose your cabin" type of fare, for an inside cabin. I like its location, so don't want an upgrade. I have been upgraded before on another line to a location on the ship I didn't care for, so I have learned to request "no upgrade" when I book.

I have called two different Carnival phones reps recently, and both told me the same thing. They said that they have no way to mark a booking "no upgrade" and that Carnival NEVER upgrades pax without contacting them first for approval.

Is this correct? If so, it is different from the way things are done on other CCL lines. In addition, I have seen older CC threads that indicate Carnival does upgrade at times with no notice or prior request, so perhaps this is a new policy?

Thanks in advance.

Keep checking your booking on line or look for an email saying you've been upgraded. Immediately call Carnival and refuse to be upgraded and to leave you in the room you chose. You paid extra $$$ to pick your own cabin. We've had this happen to us twice and called Carnival and they put us back into the room we chose initially.

Back in 2010, we were booked in a 1A with a porthole. When we checked in for the cruise, we had been upgraded (for free) to a spa balcony. When we got home from the trip, there was a message on our voicemail stating that they were upgrading us. But, of course we were already at our port of departure so we did not get the message prior to the cruise. But, in this case, it worked out pretty well. :-)

Edited by GreytRacer

The only line I know that you have the ability to mark NO UPGRADE is Princess. If you have picked a cabin with Carnival you will get that cabin unless it is an accessible cabin and you don't need that type. If you get a call from the Upgrade Fairy it will most likely be an attempt to upsell you. A totally free upgrade is unusual. Cruised Carnival 33 times and never offered an upgrade, either free or an upsell opportunity.

The only line I know that you have the ability to mark NO UPGRADE is Princess. If you have picked a cabin with Carnival you will get that cabin unless it is an accessible cabin and you don't need that type. If you get a call from the Upgrade Fairy it will most likely be an attempt to upsell you. A totally free upgrade is unusual. Cruised Carnival 33 times and never offered an upgrade, either free or an upsell opportunity.

Actually, Princess and Holland America have a shared booking platform. You have to proactively choose "No upgrade" for them. Also, you can choose to only upgrade to the next cabin class ie, inside to oceanview if it's available, or only a particular side of the ship.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'll keep checking my booking online on a regular basis, just in case.

No need to check to see if you have been moved since you are in a regular cabin for 2 people. Carnival might call you with an upsell to a different cabin, but they don't upgrade anymore.

No need to check to see if you have been moved since you are in a regular cabin for 2 people. Carnival might call you with an upsell to a different cabin, but they don't upgrade anymore.

They have learned they can make money off of upsells so why give it away.

Sure they do, I've had 2 in the last 18 months. Upgrades, not upsells! :cool: