Walkie talkies

Hey all I know some of you have different opinions about walkie-talkies. I have a larger family with teenagers and a babysitter that I would like to have communication with on the ship,I know ships have phones but if walking around I like to be in communication. And we're not going to be the obnoxious and annoying ones that are screaming through walkie-talkies in front of other people. Just wondering if anybody had success with them? And if so what brand? Thanks cruisers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey all I know some of you have different opinions about walkie-talkies. I have a larger family with teenagers and a babysitter that I would like to have communication with on the ship,I know ships have phones but if walking around I like to be in communication. And we're not going to be the obnoxious and annoying ones that are screaming through walkie-talkies in front of other people. Just wondering if anybody had success with them? And if so what brand? Thanks cruisers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they work you bearly be able to use them. They normally don't work very well in large metal box.

We bought a pair on a family cruise a few years ago. Found it very hit and miss and annoying and after a few days left them in our cabin and made up times and places to meet on the ship

"What mom and Dad, I can't hear you!!"::p

Ours work well. We've used them for years. We may have to change stations some times, if too many people are on the same one. But other than that...ours work great. Not sure of the brand. But I know we bought them at Wal Mart.

We used walkies on our first cruise years ago. They were only a cheap $35 pair bought at Walmart and only worked (barely) from one floor away. This time we invested in a set of Motorola MT352R with a 35 mile range, $115 for a set of 3 on Amazon. With all the steel on the boat the range goes way down but these worked very well from one end of the mall to the other so I hope to get some good performance on our cruise next week. Plus it should come in handy when separated in Port. I got this model because it has a vibrating alert instead of blaring out the usual obnoxious tones.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

We used a Uniden 18 mile set on a Fantasy class ship and it worked fine...from the top where Camp Carnival was..(where we gave our 5 year old his own walkie so he could talk to us if he got scared), all the way down to Main deck. I was actually very impressed with how well they worked.

We take ours every cruise even when it's just the two of us. DH will often get up before me so when I get up I can call him on the walkie and we can meet up. Ours have always worked fine although if you're in a noisy place, sometimes you may not hear it the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I got a pair of walkie-talkies on my last cruise for my daughter and her friend (they are grown, but we wanted to stay in touch) and they worked just fine. Had no problems getting a signal on or off the ship. I purchased them from Target (not too expensive), and they worked great. If I remember the brand, I'll send a note.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had a not cheap set of Motorola walkie talkies and they did not work on the Pride. The worked for about 50 feet away from the cabin, and then nothing. Others on the same cruise were using WT's with no problem. It's really hit and miss with them. Just decide if you are willing to waste the money on them if they don't work. And have a backup plan figured out.

We have a large blended family of 9 kids. We did a couple of cruises and they worked great! We also used them when we went to resorts and amusement parks. It was great to be able to check up on them without them knowing! Our girls were a lively bunch and very independent.

Keep in mind that the ones with a higher range are gmrs technology... grms REQUIRES an FCC license to use in the US and are illegal in some countries. Certain states have banned the mobile use of gmrs radio's (ie in cars). Only gmrs will work on the ship, but read the instructions, they specifically state which channels you can use without the license, all of those are frs which are the same as the cheapo ones

• 2 weeks later...