dress code

thebigpuba

I am looking at a Caribbean cruise and was wondering if night is formal are sabbatini and bayou cafe also formal or am I ok with Dockers and shirt with collar? Thanks
Just a minor point. Only the Island and Coral have a Bayou Cafe and with rare exception (one cruise on the Island in October of this year) they don't do Caribbean cruises. The ships sailing the Caribbean routes (except the Ocean with one cruise each in December of 2014 and 2015) will have a Crown Grill. Dress code is still smart casual. We did specialty restaurants in Alaska to allow packing lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Even something a casual a jeans & a T shirt would be OK in Sabatini's or bayou Cafe on a formal evening.

Smart casual is fine for formal nights but not jeans and a tee shirt...you will probably be turned away from the Specialty restaurants. The buffet allows jeans.

Edited by Happy2cruise

Smart casual is fine for formal nights but not jeans and a tee shirt...you will probably be turned away from the Specialty restaurants. The buffet allows jeans.

I'd be surprised if jeans and a T would be allowed in a speciality restaurant on any night, not just formal.

I'd be surprised if jeans and a T would be allowed in a speciality restaurant on any night, not just formal.

All I can say if that they've allowed me to dress that way a number of times in the specialty restaurants just as they do in the DR's on casual evenings. Casual dress is always acceptable in the specialty restaurants, except for shorts.

If we are not doing formal night, we go to the Horizon Court. As many have said there will be some people in specialty restaurants dressed formal and some not. But I'm just not comfortable going casual in specialty restaurants. If anything they are a step up from MDR and even on non-formal night I'd wear jacket and tie. Maybe it's just me...:(

Going to southern Caribbean in November...is it OK to wear dressy capris in the MDR? They are NOT denim, they are colored (I have red, green, purple) and will wear with a nice top. :D

Absolutely, took a cruise out of Houston in January to the Caribbean, and that is what I wore most nights.

On all but formal nights Dockers and collared shirt is acceptable in MDR. that attire is considered smart casual. On forma nights the recommended dress for men in the MDR is tux or coat and tie. All other eating venues on formal nights do not require or recommend tux or coat and tie. A few men do not follow the recommended guidelines on forma nights and are still allowed in the MDR depending on the maître de.

Ok. My new question how formal can I still get Dockers and collar shirt or do I need jacket and tie in mdr

You'll get different opinions here, but it'll be up to the maitre'd to decide. Some will stick to the guidelines which means a jacket and tie in the main dining rooms. Probably best just to go ahead and bring a jacket and a tie. My hubby will bring one jacket (that goes into his garment bag) and a couple of dress shirts and ties for each formal night. Our last three cruises were two week ones with three formal nights so he washed one of the shirts between formal nights. Sometimes the jacket will get draped on his chair during meal. If he didn't feel like getting dressed up, we would just go to the Horizon to eat.

Ok. My new question how formal can I still get Dockers and collar shirt or do I need jacket and tie in mdr

Dockers will probably be passable if they're dark & look somewhat like dress pants along with the long sleeve dress shirt. Forget the tie... they haven't been required in years. Sure you'll be in the minority but you'll still get by & be seated. I only bring my dress pants & jeans on a cruise and it's worked for years now.

Occasionally you'll see the head waiter let guys in with short sleeves and at that point I'll switch to a polo for the rest of the formal nights.

I have been on Celebrity & Princess cruises before, and my wife & I never take formal clothing, but instead take very smart casual clothing. If a formal night comes up, we just go to another speciality dining room/bar and enjoy ourselves, without lugging around dinner suits, etc.

We have no objection to other people wearing formal gear, its just we tend fly long distances sometimes, eg. Australia to Hawaii or Tahiti to board our cruise ship, and we don't want to lug around bags & bags of clothing.

Quite often on formal nights when we go to another speciality restaurant, we sometimes have the whole restaurant to ourselves....magic.

One night on Celebrity Millenium (formal night that is) we wore very small casual clothing to the main dining room, and other friends on our table were wearing dinner suits, etc. The staff took no notice of what we were wearing, and halfway through the dinner, our friends on the table had wished they done the same by wearing smart casual....Oh well, as they say, each to their own.

We have no objection to other people wearing formal gear, its just we tend fly long distances sometimes, eg. Australia to Hawaii or Tahiti to board our cruise ship, and we don't want to lug around bags & bags of clothing.

It feels so good not to have to travel with large heavy suitcases. Try it once & you'll never go back to the old ways. ;)

If we are not doing formal night, we go to the Horizon Court. As many have said there will be some people in specialty restaurants dressed formal and some not. But I'm just not comfortable going casual in specialty restaurants. If anything they are a step up from MDR and even on non-formal night I'd wear jacket and tie. Maybe it's just me...:(

No, it is not just you. On our last cruise in Dec 2013 on the CB nearly all the men in Sabatini's and Crown Grill had on a jacket. DH always brings his Navy Blazer for the specialty restaurants on every cruise line. Heck, you will see lots of people dressed up even in the Carnival Steakhouses.

I agree as well.