Swim with Dolphins

emjayel56

We did a wild dolphin swim in Puerto Vallarta. Not much use for people cruising the Carib, but if you get over to the west side of the continent we heartily recommend this operator

http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/

(We chose a wild dolphin swim because we vote with our dollars)

Thanks. We will be there. Not a fan of animals in captivity so this sounds appealing to me.

Not a great swimmer though - any thoughts on that? Or any other impressions you wouldn't mind sharing please? Thanks:D

I really want to swim with Dolphins, but so far, all options that I have seen where with captive Dolphins in inhumane conditions, so I never did it.

However, in some places, it is possible to swim with Dolphins in the ocean, where they are free and just come and visit the coves. You might want to research that if you are comfortable with that.

cruise_bunnies

And you bring your human bacteria to THEM. And you train them them and show up on time for the shoe for treats.

One might want to check the SeaWorld website for a point-by-point refutation of literally dozens of the statements and misrepresentations made in the movie "Blackfish." Which is not to say that the death of that trainer wasn't tragic, it was.

Of course. They are a BUSINESS and need to make a profit. I understand AND accept that as a fact of capitalism, which I endorse. BUT I reserve the right to support the businesses of MY CHOICE.

Vote and spend with your conscience.

Edited by jkgourmet

One might want to check the SeaWorld website for a point-by-point refutation of literally dozens of the statements and misrepresentations made in the movie "Blackfish." Which is not to say that the death of that trainer wasn't tragic, it was.

I don't base my opinion on the movie Blackfish - which I have seen - I don't like to watch animals in a circus, either. Or any performing animal forced to do tricks and cavort with humans. I watched The Cove, and was horrified and cried a lot. If the OP and others wish to swim with dolphins, so be it, but I hope they give a thought to how the dolphins are not doing it willingly.

Thank you to JKGourmet for responding to OP with the facts first. I didn't at first for fear of being flamed.

People who swim with dolphins are animal lovers and I'm sure would not do so if they knew the facts. I'm glad this thread came up and hopefully some people learned something.

I prefer to see dolphins riding the wake of my cruise ship.

We did a wild dolphin swim in Puerto Vallarta. Not much use for people cruising the Carib, but if you get over to the west side of the continent we heartily recommend this operator

http://www.wildlifeconnection.com/

(We chose a wild dolphin swim because we vote with our dollars)

Indeed I think it is one of the best swims to do, since this really is in open water (Bay of Banderas). .It is so much different then a swim in one of the "aquariums".

And you bring your human bacteria to THEM. And you train them them and show up on time for the shoe for treats.

I'm swimming in the ocean. Yes, I'm bringing bacteria, but, uh, I swim in the ocean. I do so in any ocean that I visited so far as long as it's safe. I don't feel bad about it as I don't trash the environment, just enjoy.

There are many companies who refuse to bring treats. They take you out on the boat. If they are there, good for you, if they are not, too bad. They stop near coves where it's save to swim.

Last time I saw dolphins in the wild was in Santa Barbara. There were 0 treats. It was a boat tour, so we just enjoyed them swimming around the boat and leaping into the air around us. No touching allowed. Safe, respectful and eco-friendly, like it should be.

There are reputable companies who allow you to enjoy wild animals without endangering them or you. It requires research.

cruise_bunnies

Edited by cruise_bunnies

OP's question was asking (those who had done a dolphin swim) which port would be best for that excursion. I'm appalled that instead of answering the question the OP was blasted for even thinking of doing such a thing.

The next time someone asks what time a ship's bar opens will you be answering with a sermon on the evils of drinking alcohol?

To the OP - I'm sorry you didn't get a direct answer to your question regarding the three ports you are visiting.

Thanks. We will be there. Not a fan of animals in captivity so this sounds appealing to me.

Not a great swimmer though - any thoughts on that? Or any other impressions you wouldn't mind sharing please? Thanks:D

I can't swim at all and I freak out if my head goes under the water. I will be honest, it was very difficult to do this, especially when they said I had to throw myself overboard (no ladder) :eek: I did have a float vest. DH swims like a fish and did get visited by several dolphins.

The boat had shade, the boat ride was awesome, we spent time with the dolphins before going in the water, had some dolphins bow-riding (we could get out on the bow to watch :D ). One very clear memory I have is a dolphin surfacing with "breakfast" in his (her?) mouth -- a fair-sized bright yellow fish.

I'd recommend it if you can swim. Not sure I would try the "in the water with the dolphins" again for myself, but then, I've got these stupid "can't swim, don't really like being in water" constraints :D Enjoyed the overall experience enough that I'd do it just for the boat ride and the nearness of the wild dolphins.

Thank you to JKGourmet for responding to OP with the facts first. I didn't at first for fear of being flamed.

People who swim with dolphins are animal lovers and I'm sure would not do so if they knew the facts. I'm glad this thread came up and hopefully some people learned something.

I prefer to see dolphins riding the wake of my cruise ship.

I didn't see it as the OP being blasted at all - it was simply others voicing their opinion about the topic. The OP will make his/her own decision but hopefully some awareness has been triggered.

I find it interesting how public perceptions are changing. Several years ago, when I suggested a wild dolphin swim on this board, I got profoundly blasted by many. Nice to see that changing.

... especially when they said I had to throw myself overboard (no ladder) :eek: .

Um, er, then how did you get back in the boat??? :confused:

Gravity helps (a lot) on the way down, but not on the reverse.

Um, er, then how did you get back in the boat??? :confused:

Gravity helps (a lot) on the way down, but not on the reverse.

I got "helped" back aboard by the crew. DH and the other two in the water were able to get themselves back onboard without help. Of course, all of them had done it before. I was the only one for whom "swimming" from a boat was a first-time experience :D :eek: :rolleyes:

(Sitting here typing this, I am rather surprised they didn't have to winch me back onboard :D )

I didn't see a lot of "blasting" of the OP on this thread. I did see a lot of people who gave personal reasons and supporting information as to why they came to their decisions about the various ways available for dolphin interaction. Underlying some of them were expressions of a method to sway some of the less animal-friendly proprietors to a better way of doing things by the leverage of a shrinking market share to the benefit of those venues with a higher "green" quotient.

This falls along the lines of "would you buy that dress/handbag/tool/whatever if you knew that the manufacturer kept his employees in terrible working and living conditions?" It is very difficult to live up to a ethical standard when practicalities are exerting a strong pressure to economize and buy what is affordable. But wherever you may, you can be a positive influence--e.g. "fair trade" products.