Ketchikan DIY

orgutierrez

Hello there. I will be onboard the Star Princess calling at Ketcikan, AK from 08:00 AM to 05:00 PM in August.

I will DIY in this port, however I would love to visit the Totem Bight State Park. I have read diverse opinions on how to reach the park, the bus seems a great idea and it is extremely inexpensive. Does it get too crowded too return to the town? Anyone has the timetables of the buses? Where does the bus depart from in Ketchikan town?

How would you see renting a car? Anyone has done this?

Thank you.

I was just there last week and took the bus. We got on the bus (Silver line North) across from the visitors information center that is at the south end of the cruise ship docks right by the "Totem Bar" and the popcorn store. I was told it came at :26 after the hour, every hour and it seemed to be on schedule. $2 for an all day pass. The bus was not crowded when we got on but did eventually fill up with locals. There were about 8 people total that went all the way to Totem Bight (about a 30 minute ride). Be sure to tell the driver that is where you want off. There is a covered bus stop right in the parking lot at Totem Bight, and we caught the bus back at :10 after the hour. An hour was a nice amount of time to see the park. (If it's not raining, I could imagine staying longer.

On the bus ride back, the driver said she was not going to "downtown", and the bus went up into the residential area behind town, but it did go to the federal building, where we got off, which is right near Creek Street (about 6 short blocks from "downtown" from what I could tell) It worked well to get off here and see the sights in Ketchikan and then walk back to the ship.

The bus was so easy, I don't know if I would bother with a car. As well, the information center has a great walking tour map of Ketchikan. It's about 1 mile from one end of town to the other.

When we were in Ketchikan we got a taxi van and the guy charged us $10 a person and drove us around for a hour and a half and we went everywhere! Even Totem Bright State Park! I highly recommend doing this since you're getting a tour from an Alaska local.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are worried about the crowds on the return trip, just get to the stop early and line up. We did that and were able to get a seat on the bus.

We got to the bus stop early, so got on the bus as it was still heading north. It went one more stop, waited about 7-8 minutes, then headed back south. More people got on when it stopped at Totem Bight again, but we had our seats first. I think there was still room for everyone to get seats at that point, but there were times along the route when people had to stand. Some days and times might be busier at Totem Bight too.

Last minute we booked Ketchikan Taxi Tours. Very reasonable, they charge by the hour. We did a 3 hr tour and he took us all over inc. Totem Bight. He was very informative and we learned alot about the way of life there. We then met up with our husbands who had gone on a fishing charter and walked around Creek St. Since there were 7 of us in the van it was very affordable.

As you walked around the town, were there benches or other seating available to rest?

Thanks for your help.

Because it was raining the day we were there, I wasn't watching for places to sit, as they would have been too wet anyway. :)

Ketchikan is a great DIY port. It was the only stop on our recent Alaska cruise that we did not schedule a tour. There is a lot within a short walk of the pier as others have mentioned. We wanted some fresh fish and local beer – we were not disappointed with Annabel’s.

There is also some very good shopping where you can find original works of talented Alaskan artists. There are great stores selling original (and beautiful) jewelry, paintings, scrimshaw (on approved material), glass pieces, sculptures etc. We happened on one (Scanlon’s) on our anniversary and it was a real treat to buy my wife a necklace that she has gotten compliments on ever since the security line to re-board the ship. This port doesn’t look like much when you’re sailing in but there is a lot there to discover.

We also took the bus to Totem Bight two weeks ago. On the way back we got off at Wal-Mart, purchased soda and other supplies, and then took the free shuttle back to the ship. (It actually left before the next bus arrived.) The driver dropped us (along with several crew members) right at our ship. We tipped the $2 we would have paid for the bus anyway but it was very convenient. After dropping off our purchases, we did the historic walk (using the brochure from the visitor center) on our own and took the funicular up for views of the town. Very easy town to get around in.

I again, took this bus a few weeks ago. I did flying prior so was going on a later bus (I otherwise, recommend the first bus available after you dock). I'm also not looking around or am unsure so time isn't an issue for me. I purposely boarded at the Museum (former library) near Creek St. since it's the first stop. By time the bus got to the cruise dock across from the eagle, outside the tunnel, the bus was determined "full", and there was a small group of people left behind. (Part of those numbers- were also waiting across the street, and didn't know, that they were on the wrong side, until apparently told and were seen running accross the street and to the end of the too long line.

It's isn't as much of an issue with a "full" bus returning. Only people on those buses are the people who went to Totem Bight, with a lot of standing room if needed.

This is my second time, I've seen the "closed" full buses, that everyone wanting to, can not get on.

We took the public bus to Totem Bright. $1.00 per person, $.50 per senior, and free for our three year old granddaughter in each direction. Loved it as we got to talk to many locals. We were told to be sure to tell the driver we were going that far. The driver then told us exactly when he'd be back. We had seats in both directions and never felt crowded. The Star Princess was in the slip furthest from town and the driver let us off as close as possible and told us the short cut back. Well worth the trip. We were also blessed with beautiful weather and didn't even need jackets. Hope your visit will be as good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I again, took this bus a few weeks ago. I did flying prior so was going on a later bus (I otherwise, recommend the first bus available after you dock). I'm also not looking around or am unsure so time isn't an issue for me. I purposely boarded at the Museum (former library) near Creek St. since it's the first stop. By time the bus got to the cruise dock across from the eagle, outside the tunnel, the bus was determined "full", and there was a small group of people left behind. (Part of those numbers- were also waiting across the street, and didn't know, that they were on the wrong side, until apparently told and were seen running accross the street and to the end of the too long line.

That reminds me... when we were in Ketchikan on July 22, the eagle was not there! The base was there but the eagle was missing. Anyone know what's up with that? Repairs?

Something I always enjoy while we are in Ketchikan is walking over to Creek Street. A nice, picturesque area, not a hard walk from the ship. Level ground (no up or down hill) maybe 6 blocks from the waterfront.