Call me weird..but cannot this cruise wait??

Badfinger

I've got mild cruise dread but my desire to stop working for 12 days and get out of here is trumping the dread. I am worried about the cats.... I'm vaguely aware that none of my son's khakis fit him... I'm just realizing that one of my suitcases probably won't survive the entire trip... I'm beginning to think of shoes I need to bring and dreading having to buy a pair... And I guess I have to stop my mail, which I've never done. Oh- and what if the house gets broken into. That's a huge thought.

How about this for weird. We save our athletic old shoes that are about ready for the trash. And we use them on excursions. After the excursion, when they are usually dirty, wet, and muddy, in the trash they go. Cabin stewart must think we are nuts throwing 2-3 pairs of shoes away after every port day.

How about this for weird. We save our athletic old shoes that are about ready for the trash. And we use them on excursions. After the excursion, when they are usually dirty, wet, and muddy, in the trash they go. Cabin stewart must think we are nuts throwing 2-3 pairs of shoes away after every port day.

I see so many people with their sparkly clean new sneaks, then come back all blistered. I bring my broken in sneaks in port. Guess I'm not out to impress.

I see so many people with their sparkly clean new sneaks, then come back all blistered. I bring my broken in sneaks in port. Guess I'm not out to impress.

Oh, yeah, we never take new shoes. When we did cave tubing we took our old tennis shoes (I'm from the South, we call them tennis shoes) because we knew we'd be walking through the jungle and into the water, didn't wear them again after that.

Edited by Terre

I can relate to you sort of. I tend to get stressed out beforehand while DH is happily giving me a daily countdown months before. Sometimes it's the ship or the ports that don't excite me and other times it's just other things in life take priority.

As for your shoes, not that weird. DH got a new t shirt from a port and decided to throw the old one out. Every time we put it in the trash can, we would find it later neatly folded on the bed. Our steward thought it was our mistake, so he fixed it. After the third time, it was finally gone. Surprised your shoes weren't fished out either.

Edited by 092306

I think you are going through "Temporary Cruise Dread Syndrome" ("TRDS"). Only time I get TRDS is at 4:00 am wake up call on morning of cruise or right before packing suitcase when you realize your happy routine is going to be disrupted by worry over making plane, whether plane will be delayed, flat tires, getting parking, long lines at embarkation, losing travel documentation, tipping everyone with a hand out, extra baggage fees-cash flying out of your huge wallet with stacks of $1 Dollar Bills for tips. TRDS goes away when you take your first relaxing breath on the LIDO deck. That's one thing that is better when you cruise annually or multiple times a year. You've got most of the decisions already made and the routine down pat.

This really is a real thing, I remember experiencing it on my last cruise (pretty much my first since I was 6 during my actual first cruise). The days leading up to embarkation were some of the most stressful ever. We shelled out all this money and were looking forward to it for so long, I just KNEW something was going to keep me from getting on that boat. As soon as I stepped on the ship, everything melted away. Such a great feeling.

I am as weird as the OP. I have a little over 24 hours before I leave and have not done anything as I have so many other fun things going on in my life.

I haven't started to pack, haven't done laundry, haven't planned excursions -- I did get the boarding passes and luggage tags printed as it was on my calendar to do about a week ago.

I'm not stressed, just haven't taken time to think cruise. I don't necessarily want to cancel but never have had the "I can't wait" feeling. I will get on it tomorrow and leave early Saturday morning -- oh yeah I fly in the day of the cruise as well. Don't get stressed about that either.

No, no no!!!:eek: Can't skip August! I need all of August (my saildate is the same as yours).:o I'm prepared for my cruise, but I'm not ready for my cruise yet (if that makes any sense at all:rolleyes::p).

Awe come on. I'm tired of waiting!!! I'm ready but I'm not prepared. Still need to do some shopping 😁

What ship are you on? I'm on the Beeeze 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am as weird as the OP. I have a little over 24 hours before I leave and have not done anything as I have so many other fun things going on in my life.

I haven't started to pack, haven't done laundry, haven't planned excursions -- I did get the boarding passes and luggage tags printed as it was on my calendar to do about a week ago.

I'm not stressed, just haven't taken time to think cruise. I don't necessarily want to cancel but never have had the "I can't wait" feeling. I will get on it tomorrow and leave early Saturday morning -- oh yeah I fly in the day of the cruise as well. Don't get stressed about that either.

We have tons of fun stuff going on in our lives, too, but cruising is the MOST FUN!!!!!!!!

It's never too early to buy a new cruise outfit, swimsuit, tour book, or chat about the upcoming cruise(s);)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

OP, have you seen a doctor about this?

As for shoes, I once had a strap break on my shoe and threw it away. Room steward took it out of the trash can. I had to put them in a bag and then throw the bag away to get rid of them. Another time DH and I decided our water shoes smelled way too bad to take them home. We threw them away twice and then finally just left them in the trash the last morning.

We always cruise in the fall, so my only dread is that once the cruise is over, winter is not far behind. After last winter, I'm in no hurry for my cruises to get here! 😳😄

Thats why I booked a cruise for January next year.

I'm not feeling quite the same as you.. I'm just feeling a bit flustered.

We are coming from Australia and doing 2 weeks in America before hopping on the Legend in LA back to Sydney.

Have SO much to do that I just haven't had time to do.

Relax, try enjoy yourself on your trip - am sure you deserve a nice relaxing vacation :)

Awe come on. I'm tired of waiting!!! I'm ready but I'm not prepared. Still need to do some shopping

What ship are you on? I'm on the Beeeze

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm on Pride.:) And I am looking forward to it, definitely no dread as some have described. Just don't want to rush this next month - we want to enjoy the rest of the Summer with the kids, still have to fit in another trip to Busch Gardens, want to go camping with friends, I've got a couple more projects around the house to get done, DH is in a crazy-busy period at work, and I've got some more weight to lose.:o

I have the opposite problem from TCDS, I have OCPD, Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder. :p

However, I do have pre-cruise anxiety about a week or two before the cruise. I'm an anxious person by nature. Things like running late, not having something I need, or not getting something done on time makes me anxious in my every day normal life. So these anxieties also start to kick in in regards to a cruise. I worry about forgetting something important like meds or passports or money. I worry about being late on embarkation day. I worry about not being let on the ship for whatever reason. I worry about getting everything done before we leave. (I'm a worrier, can't help it. :o)

But as soon as we step foot onto the ship and I hear that little ding as my S&S card is put in the machine and my picture is taken and I start looking around to see where I need to go amid all the people... The anxiety is left back on the gangway, and all is right with the world. :)

I think I am developing a mild case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder as I get older. I have to check and recheck passports, money, did I turn everything off, did I pack this or that. It's frustrating, but once I've assured myself about the passports, I try to keep calm by telling myself that anything else I forgot, I can buy, and what's the worst that can happen? It's not like I'm climbing Everest. There are stores where I'm going, including on the ship. And I do buy insurance in case of (gawd forbid) missing the ship.

Oh, and you want stress? How about this: getting word the afternoon before my last cruise (flight to the UK & cruise to Norway) that my mother had to be moved from assisted living to a nursing home (immediately, according to the visiting nurse), and was being admitted to the hospital to expedite it. Our flight was the next afternoon, so I had a whole 24 hours to talk to the hospital's social worker, figure out which nursing home would be best (at least I had had some prior experience with local facilities), go there and fill out paperwork, and get my son assigned as second-in-command healthcare proxy in my absence. Needless to say, I was a raving lunatic, adding that to all the normal last minute preparations.

Yes, it did cross my mind to cancel, but it wouldn't have helped anything. The nursing home actually recommends that the family not visit for a while to give the patient (with dementia) time to adjust. She ended up staying in the hospital a couple of days, and my son proved his mettle dealing with the little bit that he had to.

Turns out, my mother never even knew I was gone, and we still enjoyed the trip because everything was out of our hands and I knew she was being well cared for.

Edited by srlafleur

I see many other posts from folks who just cannot wait for their cruise to arrive.

While we are looking forward to it, our sail date is just approaching too rapidly. I wish it wasn't.

There are so many things I am doing right now (such as golfing) and many things i need to do over the next couple weeks that I have not had time to prepare for this cruise. Items such as getting our cruise documents in order, figuring out excursions, and just getting excited for it are just sitting on the back burner.

If I could get a full refund, I think I would just cancel it, even though I know we are going to have a great time. This will be our third cruise.

Weird I know.

You said it! :eek:

I have never had that problem with any vacation.

I always have a lot of projects going on at home, I work a lot, and I have many hobbies that I am involved in. But a vacation is a vacation from everything and I enjoy that time away from everything.

Well, we booked some excursions for our ports of call, which was a bit stressful trying to balance the cost with everyone's interests, availability and capability, but we got it done. And I have printed off our Boarding Passes. Getting closer. But still the excitement level barely registers around the house.