Call me weird..but cannot this cruise wait??

Badfinger

I see many other posts from folks who just cannot wait for their cruise to arrive.

While we are looking forward to it, our sail date is just approaching too rapidly. I wish it wasn't.

There are so many things I am doing right now (such as golfing) and many things i need to do over the next couple weeks that I have not had time to prepare for this cruise. Items such as getting our cruise documents in order, figuring out excursions, and just getting excited for it are just sitting on the back burner.

If I could get a full refund, I think I would just cancel it, even though I know we are going to have a great time. This will be our third cruise.

Weird I know.

I see many other posts from folks who just cannot wait for their cruise to arrive.

While we are looking forward to it, our sail date is just approaching too rapidly. I wish it wasn't.

There are so many things I am doing right now (such as golfing) and many things i need to do over the next couple weeks that I have not had time to prepare for this cruise. Items such as getting our cruise documents in order, figuring out excursions, and just getting excited for it are just sitting on the back burner.

If I could get a full refund, I think I would just cancel it, even though I know we are going to have a great time. This will be our third cruise.

Weird I know.

Hmmm....yeah I cannot relate.....:p

I think you are going through "Temporary Cruise Dread Syndrome" ("TRDS"). Only time I get TRDS is at 4:00 am wake up call on morning of cruise or right before packing suitcase when you realize your happy routine is going to be disrupted by worry over making plane, whether plane will be delayed, flat tires, getting parking, long lines at embarkation, losing travel documentation, tipping everyone with a hand out, extra baggage fees-cash flying out of your huge wallet with stacks of $1 Dollar Bills for tips. TRDS goes away when you take your first relaxing breath on the LIDO deck. That's one thing that is better when you cruise annually or multiple times a year. You've got most of the decisions already made and the routine down pat.

Edited by Stallion

Wow, I do not think I have ever felt that way. Then I am the type who likes to plan and have beening looking forward to this cruise for months. We leave in a couple weeks.

Other things get planned around vacation when I have a cruise booked. Understand the golf thing, we have a golf tournament 2 days before we leave.

Good luck getting ready and enjoy your cruise.

OP, you're not alone. I have found myself feeling the same way before some cruises for long periods leading up to them -- certainly less than excited, even though I love to cruise and have enjoyed every one of my cruises. Sometimes what is going on in my "normal" life is just more important / more attention-demanding than that cruise coming up on the horizon.

Ok, I can not relate. But I think what may help is setting a day aside to help plan. Do you have your documents in order? Do you know where they are? Is the hotel booked the flight booked? Most of this stuff you can get done in one day's time if need be. Maybe just take a day off work to do it or if you can't do that set aside a saturday or sunday afternoon or evening and just make yourself do it.

I would say just prioritize the most important things and then work your way down...

OP, if you really don't want to go on your cruise I would be more that happy to take your place. I will take on the planning of excursions and the getting excited and the packing and the other parts of cruising to insure you have plenty of time for your golfing and other daily things. :D I would do all of that for you!

Now... who is going to volunteer to tell my boss I am not going to be into work :confused:

Can't relate at all! My cruise is September 21st and it's taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get here! Can we just skip August and get to September already? 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ok, I can not relate. But I think what may help is setting a day aside to help plan. Do you have your documents in order? Do you know where they are? Is the hotel booked the flight booked? Most of this stuff you can get done in one day's time if need be. Maybe just take a day off work to do it or if you can't do that set aside a saturday or sunday afternoon or evening and just make yourself do it.

I would say just prioritize the most important things and then work your way down...

Luckily we are only a easy 4 hour drive to Galveston. No travel stresses. And I am the guy who likes to get on the ship about 230pm to avoid any potential traffic, lines, etc. Just love walking right into the party that is already going...fashionably late I guess. Because of that I could easily do all our packing and preparations that morning.

Can't relate at all! My cruise is September 21st and it's taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R to get here! Can we just skip August and get to September already?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, no no!!!:eek: Can't skip August! I need all of August (my saildate is the same as yours).:o I'm prepared for my cruise, but I'm not ready for my cruise yet (if that makes any sense at all:rolleyes::p).

Luckily we are only a easy 4 hour drive to Galveston. No travel stresses. And I am the guy who likes to get on the ship about 230pm to avoid any potential traffic, lines, etc. Just love walking right into the party that is already going...fashionably late I guess. Because of that I could easily do all our packing and preparations that morning.

That's easy then!!! No flight, no hotel, just documents and packing!!!

We will be your cheerleaders!!! Get excited you can do it!!!!! Just go get your documents out and set them aside. That's what I do, just put them in a safe place you'll remember. Drag the suitcase out and start putting stuff in gradually!! You got this!

I don't dread it, but I do get overwhelmed and stressed. I start to worry about what to do in ports (even if I have been to the port many times), etc. Its kind of weird because I am a planner and I get on cc often, whether I have a cruise or not. And research all kind of things. But I am also indecisive and can be a procrastinator. So I may buy cruise things (sunscreen, clothes etc) a month or two before the cruise, but don't start packing until a week or so before. Then I can't remember if a packed so I unpack/repack.

One example of my procrastination. DH and I went to Vegas in November and noticed that our wheeled suitcase had a bad wheel and broken strap. We looked around Christmas time for deals and decided against it due to limited cash flow. DD's birthday is near the end of January and once we finished that an valentines day, I start thinking about how we need some new luggage. But every time we were at a store where we could buy some, we would forget, or be in a hurry or whatever. Or just tight on money at that time. So I packed the stuff in the "bad suitcase." On Thursday night before our cruise (which was the end of March) we happened to go into Walmart and look at luggage. So we bought a set. Saturday morning before we are leaving to head to the airport hotel (flight was in the early AM on Sunday but we were dropping off our daughter at noon and heading out from there), I decide to repack everything. And this was for a cruise that I booked in AUGUST 2013 for a March 31, 2014 departure.

Edited by cruzinlisa

...There are so many things I am doing right now (such as golfing) and many things i need to do over the next couple weeks that I have not had time to prepare for this cruise. Items such as getting our cruise documents in order, figuring out excursions, and just getting excited for it are just sitting on the back burner...

Since it is "just" your third cruise, you may not have a system down pat to prepare. This can add to apprehension, I find.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the first thing I do is make a checklist of what needs to be done (out of the ordinary routine), and by when, before sail date. I then tackle easy ones when I have a busy day, and harder ones when I have more free time. I find not everyone does this, and things fall through the cracks, adding to stress.

I find that the pressure to choose the right excursions before they sell out gives me the most concern. Since I have so much else going on right now, I have decided to do no excursions at all on my upcoming cruise, so no research! The ports of call are all very walkable, from what I understand, so I plan to just explore them on foot. Very liberating!

Hope this helps.

Ok I will call you weird

You know there are some great golf course outside of Tx;)

Oh I know. And if you are referring to the ones on the cruise excursions, no thanks. For those prices, I could easily play 4-5 rounds on TPC type courses here locally. Plus I hate to blow my golf budget inside the vacation. Would leave me with nothing after the cruise. And I really really hate using rental clubs. Just won't do it. Yeah I know I could bring mine on the ship, but then we would have room for only 2 small suitcases in the car!

This is the first time I have cruised and not been excited, counted down the days, had everything packed already....

I know I will have a good time, but I have had soooo much trouble with the cruise line (trying to change 1 of our party's rooms) I am just not that excited.

I think it is time to change cruise lines!:(

I can sort of relate. I do get stressed out. Ahead of time, the packing and making sure everything is done sometimes stresses me out. The night before, I stress out about the last minute stuff. I stress about getting up early enough for a flight, etc.

We get in the car, my husband tells me "relax, you're on vacation". "Nope, not yet."

We get to the airport. "Are you on vacation, yet?"

"No, I will be on vacation when we get to our destination."

When I'm unpacked on the ship, THEN I'm officially on vacation.

I certainly wouldn't cancel a trip because of this pre-cruise stress, though. I just have to roll with it and it goes away.

I've got mild cruise dread but my desire to stop working for 12 days and get out of here is trumping the dread. I am worried about the cats.... I'm vaguely aware that none of my son's khakis fit him... I'm just realizing that one of my suitcases probably won't survive the entire trip... I'm beginning to think of shoes I need to bring and dreading having to buy a pair... And I guess I have to stop my mail, which I've never done. Oh- and what if the house gets broken into. That's a huge thought.

I too suffer from TRDS....it kicks in about 48 hours before the cruise.

The only cure is to walk the plank....the gangway!

LOL! I sometimes suffer from it too.....mostly due to packing anxiety....weight limits on the airlines....what to bring, what not to pack.....gosh pack it ALL!!

I always assumed that people who reported being uncontrollably excited about an upcoming cruise (like a 4 year old on Christmas morning) just had poor impulse control. I look forward to all my vacations (cruise or otherwise), but you won't likely hear me say that "I just can't wait".

I can relate to the feeling that there are still a few more things to get done, although I wouldn't call it "stress". Before our last B2B cruises in June/July, I think I was out of town or fully booked for 3 of the 5 weekends beforehand. That means there wasn't enough time just to keep up with the day-to-day stuff, let alone knock off some of the to-do stuff for the cruise. I really don't want to get on a ship without having properly researched the ports. We normally do-it-ourselves when we can and it is a shame to show up in a port, even with a car rental and not have spent a couple hours either mapping out what you're planning to do, or at least documenting the options for a later decision based on what you feel like when you get there.

In addition, there is a point when you've been on enough cruises (particularly with the same cruise line) that merely being on a cruise ship is no longer an adventure. If you feel that a vacation should be a combination of relaxation and adventure, then once you reach that point, the "adventure" of being on a cruise ship is no longer something available to look forward to.