Bringing Water Onboard - Confused!

pastalover

I am sailing on the Breakaway on Sunday and was getting ready to put luggage tags on a case of water and a case of soda. I thought I was able to check cases with luggage. My sister called NCL and was told that we could bring cases onboard but only if we carried them ourselves to our room?

Is this unique to the Breakaway? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I thought you could check them with a luggage tag with cabin number as well. Check the NCL website maybe?

In NY and New Orleans, had a problem with cases w luggage tags. Porters said no. Now we just dump them all into a duffel bag.

Terry

Check the NCL website maybe?

I don't believe the web site addresses this issue. In fact, I wouldn't call NCL either. Depending on who you get, their reps might very well tell you that you can't take water aboard, period. I would base a decision on first-hand experiences that people report here. In general, I have read that checking water in NY for the Breakaway isn't a problem, although the previous post contradicts that.

Frankly, I wouldn't take water onto the ship anyway. The ship's water is perfectly fine.

I am sailing on the Breakaway on Sunday and was getting ready to put luggage tags on a case of water and a case of soda. I thought I was able to check cases with luggage. My sister called NCL and was told that we could bring cases onboard but only if we carried them ourselves to our room?

Is this unique to the Breakaway? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Pretty sure it differs by port. It's not NCL but the stevedores in the particular port who may or may not allow it.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Saw this on another thread. Use a large soft-side cooler and pack the water, soft drinks, or been inside. Put a luggage tag on the cooler and let the baggage guys take it from there. I plan on doing just that in Houston. Just a thought, don't stuff them in, wouldn't want to break the cooler and loose your drinks.

We have done it both ways...

*We put a case of water in a soft sided bag and it got sent to the "naughty room"...DH just had to go pick it up.

*Made self stick luggage tags and put them on cases of water and soda...made it to the cabin just fine. We make sure we tip the porters and this is the way we do it now.

We sailed on the Breakaway in March and the Epic in December and both times we printed out extra luggage tags and taped them on the 2 cases of water that we brought with us. The porters took them without question and they delivered them to our cabin.

I have done it both ways at the port of Miami. But the port workers were reluctant last time to deliver the water so they wanted us to carry it on the ship. The water was not in a case and they were afraid the sticker would come off and the water would be lost. Or maybe a case of water has no handles and is a burden for them to handle. In any event, I carried the case on last time. But I have brought smaller cases in bags or cases with nor problem leaving it with the port workers and then showing up at the room later.

I think NCL is playing it safe in asking you to carry it on. Some port workers are not going to carry cases of water for people. They want to handle suitcases only.

I brought a case of water with me on the Breakaway in May. The porter actually put the luggage tag on the case for me. It got to my stateroom with my luggage.

Very easy!

Saw plenty of others bring carts with soda, juices and water and they boarded with their drinks.

We have done it both ways...

*We put a case of water in a soft sided bag and it got sent to the "naughty room"...DH just had to go pick it up.

*Made self stick luggage tags and put them on cases of water and soda...made it to the cabin just fine. We make sure we tip the porters and this is the way we do it now.

sorry to be in the wrong roll call---this is Louise from the Baltics roll call---could you please send me your e-mail address so i can contact you about the M & G.

Thanks for your help Dadurkees@aol.com Please put Baltics in sub line

If you want to check it, make it easy and visible. We bought 6 packs of water, not huge cases, because we had to carry them back to our hotel . Put 2 in an open , vinyl grocery tote,had the porter seal the handles with me - you can see it is water but it won't fall out, and is easy to carry, unlike cases of water, which have no handles.

This was Miami last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed out of NYC last year on the Gem. We slapped a luggage tag on a case of water and it was delivered to our room that afternoon/evening with no issues whatsoever.

Ditto but we sailed Breakaway and Ill be doing the same next week when we board the Breakaway again.

OP, I used clear packing tape and even made a handle on top with the tape. We gave to the porters with extra tip and had in our cabin with our luggage.

See you next week! You'll be getting off as we are getting on. Enjoy!

I don't believe the web site addresses this issue. In fact, I wouldn't call NCL either. Depending on who you get, their reps might very well tell you that you can't take water aboard, period. I would base a decision on first-hand experiences that people report here. In general, I have read that checking water in NY for the Breakaway isn't a problem, although the previous post contradicts that.

Frankly, I wouldn't take water onto the ship anyway. The ship's water is perfectly fine.

They make their own water from sea water [i believe] and the filtration produces water as good as what you buy. Most "spring water" does not come from springs and is filtered like that on board.