Creative cancellation

RubySohoPDX

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around for a while in preparation for my upcoming cruise (less than 2 weeks) on Solstice to Alaska. It was originally going to be a family vacation but now things have changed and I'm looking for some insight from seasoned travelers as this is my first cruise. Please, I beg of you, no snark around my situation. And-my explanation of everything is rather lengthy. Sorry in advance.

My husband booked two cabins in April. One for me (M) and him (H) and one for my uncle (X) and his husband (Y). Well things have been going swimmingly with plans until yesterday. I found out that my uncle's employer has essentially pulled his vacation time. He's executive level and someone on his team dropped the ball, so they're holding X responsible as well. They essentially said "feel free to go on vacation, but know what message you're sending about your commitment to your position and the company. And be ready to face whatever consequences arise from your absence. Oh, and here's a presentation you need to be give on this date" Which is a day we're supposed to be on the cruise. And of course, Y doesn't want to go on a cruise without his hubby and doesn't want to be a third wheel or anything. We explained that wouldn't be the case, but really, X was much more excited about the trip anyway. Y was just going along.

X is fine losing the full cost of the trip. What we're all concerned with is snagging the $500 OBC from that cabin. Especially since husband and I have had some very unexpected expenses and are broke as joke going in to this trip.

Going on vacation poor with family I love. Alright. Going on vacation poor and without two of my favorite people? Honestly I kind of don't want to go anymore. The $500 OBC would really help us out.

Now, I called and of course learned that one of the original people on the booking must stay on the reservation. My question is-

What would happened if H or I swapped names with X or Y on their reservation then X & Y just don't show?

So-cabin A would be H & X and cabin B would be M & Y listed on departure date instead of HM n XY.

Would Celebrity really kick me out of a cabin because the second person was a no-show on departure day? Would there be an additional fee if I was the only one in the cabin (even though 2 people have paid for it)?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, or any other creative solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't understand except to say, no they will not kick you out of

a cabin you have already paid for. They won't care if you are sailing

in the cabin on your own. I always cruise solo. The cabin is paid in full

so it is yours.

I don't understand the obc part.....you didn't have the obc, the other

person had it and you want to take it?:confused:......guess I am slow......

I bet someone else will understand this better than I do.

Yeah. So our cabin we got the beverage package and my uncle and his husband opted for on board credit. His thoughts are, he's eating a significant amount of cash by missing this trip, if we can figure out a way for husband n I to grab the OBC then that would be awesome. The room is will be sitting empty and OBC would go unused if husband and I can't figure something out.

edit to add:

BWAZ-no, he didn't buy insurance. And from what I've heard, it wouldn't cover this anyway. But I don't know.

Edited by RubySohoPDX

Yeah. So our cabin we got the beverage package and my uncle and his husband opted for on board credit. His thoughts are, he's eating a significant amount of cash by missing this trip, if we can figure out a way for husband n I to grab the OBC then that would be awesome. The room is will be sitting empty and OBC would go unused if husband and I can't figure something out.

edit to add:

BWAZ-no, he didn't buy insurance. And from what I've heard, it wouldn't cover this anyway. But I don't know.

Maybe someone else can assist you but I don't believe that obc

can be yours.....I could be wrong of course but I don't think so.

Basically you want his booking so you can have his credit? Not sure

that is possible.

Technically, my husband booked it for my uncle. And it was my husband's credit card that paid the deposit. It's just the specific names assigned to the cabin. And from what I've gathered, the OBC is assigned to the cabin, not individual.

Perhaps I should have included that information/been more specific in my opening post :)

Technically, my husband booked it for my uncle. And it was my husband's credit card that paid the deposit. It's just the specific names assigned to the cabin. And from what I've gathered, the OBC is assigned to the cabin, not individual.

Perhaps I should have included that information/been more specific in my opening post :)

Yes, that would have helped:).......so both cabins are in your names?

Did you book through a Travel Agent? If so, they would be the ones

to talk to......if not...you will have to call Celebrity about it.

I still don't know if it is possible. You want to give up your cabin and

take the one that has the 500.00 obc with it.....you will need to talk

to Celebrity.

What I understand the OP to be asking is, can they switch names on both reservations:

Originally:

M + H are in Cabin 1.

X + Y are in Cabin 2.

OP is suggesting changes to the reservations. One name can be changed in each cabin:

M + Y in Cabin 1.

X + H in Cabin 2.

On embarkation day:

M "takes" Cabin 1, with Beverage Package, and Y is a no-show.

H "takes" Cabin 2, and gets the OBC, and X is a no-show.

The problem with this is that H (Husband in Cabin 1) will lose his Beverage Package.

If the OBC is really $500 (i.e. the OBC is for the cabin, and not per person...so are we talking suites, or did I miss a promotion?) and H thinks he will drink (much) less than the amount of the OBC, then he might come out ahead with the OBC.

I'm not sure if this swap would be against any rules...someone here might know...but the OP would have to do the math carefully, and be sure to swap the person who drinks the least into the Uncle's cabin.

Hi Eileen, :)I knew someone else would get it before I totally got it:eek:

I really didn't understand.....they want to keep both cabins....I am

really slow:rolleyes:

This is a subject that needs to be discussed with the TA who has the reservation. Much might depend on the type of OBC, whether it is refundable or non refundable. There might be some legal implications in doing what the OP suggested. I believe Celebrity will have a problem if you try to hide the situation from them and they find out. I once had an on board booking credit and had to cancel the cruise. Fortunately it was prior to final payment. Celebrity allowed me to keep the credit for a future cruise as a goodwill gesture. Cruise critic is a wonderful source of information, but there are some cases that require the parties involved to talk to each other. This is one of those times.

Hi Eileen, :)I knew someone else would get it before I totally got it:eek:

I really didn't understand.....they want to keep both cabins....I am

really slow:rolleyes:

They wanted to keep both cabins so that they could get the uncle's OBC, but in order to do that, one person in Cabin 1 is not going to show up, so only one person will get a Sea Pass card with the Beverage Package attached to it. The second person, originally booked in Cabin 1, will now be registered in Cabin 2, and will have access to all the OBC in Cabin 2, but not to the Bev Pkg from Cabin 1.

Once, in 2011, a Celebrity Vacation Planner suggested that my husband and I take separate cabins and book one adult daughter in each cabin with a parent (in name only) so that we could all be together during the Elite Cocktail hour. We didn't do it. My daughters might have a glass of wine with dinner, but that would be it, and anything that looked like subterfuge wouldn't be our style, anyhow. But I do know people who have done that swap before.

And I am not saying that this switching scenario would be subterfuge...you would expect not since a Celebrity rep suggested it to me. I just don't know where Celebrity stands on this these days.

Edited by elena7seas

They wanted to keep both cabins so that they could get the uncle's OBC, but in order to do that, one person in Cabin 1 is not going to show up, so only one person will get a Sea Pass card with the Beverage Package attached to it. The second person, originally booked in Cabin 1, will now be registered in Cabin 2, and will have access to all the OBC in Cabin 2, but not to the Bev Pkg from Cabin 1.

Once, in 2011, a Celebrity Vacation Planner suggested that my husband and I take separate cabins and book one adult daughter in each cabin with a parent (in name only) so that we could all be together during the Elite Cocktail hour. We didn't do it. My daughters might have a glass of wine with dinner, but that would be it, and anything that looked like subterfuge wouldn't be our style, anyhow. But I do know people who have done that swap before.

They would also be responsible for gratuities for the cabin that had the beverage package, but not prepaid gratuities. My guess is that they would be best to discuss this with their TA and see if the TA could do anything for them.

Yes, speaking to the TA is worthwhile. At the very least, the taxes and port fees for one person (or both) will be refunded, and they are significant in Alaska.

The Celebrity OBC will disappear if no one travels in the cabin, and it may be up to the policy of the TA, as to what can be done about the agency OBC, which would be refundable as far as Celebrity is concerned.

The TA doesn't have to add the OBC to the client's on board account until the last minute---I think they can do it up to the last day before sailing. The TA may have some policy about their gift of OBC, if a reservation is cancelled, even if the agency has received their commission in full. One would hope that something could be worked out.

My understanding is that one of the original parties needs to be in the cabin. So the problem would be with X,Ys cabin if neither is able to come. Maybe you could switch out X or Y for one of you, then cancel x. You won't know what will happen until you or TA try it...

We have had large groups on Celebrity cruises before where some people drank, others were teetotalers and others were too young to drink. Our TA actually helped us figure out who would be in what cabin to best maximize our bonuses. Once on the cruise, no one cares where you sleep and certainly don't come looking for you.

On our Alaska cruise in June, I had my cousin in my cabin and my daughter put into the cabin with my sisters so that my cousin and I, both adults, would get the drink packages (we actually got OBC too as the special was 2 of the 3 freebies and my understanding is that the special is on again. I've seen that you can choose 2 of the 3 of gratuities, OBC or drink package on new bookings on a certain website). Regardless, my daughter is 4 and it's a waste to get a drink package for her as she doesn't even drink pop and only drinks water, rice milk and juice. So by putting her into my 2 sisters room, my daughter as the 3rd recipient got a non alcoholic drink package and internet. Otherwise, my cousin, the 3rd in their room, would have ended up with a non alcoholic drink package. There was some creative juggling in other cabins too.

It all worked out fine for us and people slept in the cabins they wanted to and those that wanted drink packages had it and the others didn't.

If you don't want the drink package, then you are ok getting the $500 OBC by switching yourself into the other cabin and one of them into your's with your husband, and then they no show and no one cares. (I'd tell guest services at some point though so they aren't waiting as on our cruise we left way after scheduled time due to waiting for late passengers and no shows). However, if you want the drink package, which includes gratuities by the way, you get no benefit from the switch. 15% gratuities are added to each drink you purchase onboard without a package and if you are a big drinker, that adds up. If you are a light drinker, you can use the OBC towards your drinks and gratuities and come out ahead of getting the drink package in your room. What you need to figure out is how much you are bound to drink daily and what that would cost you approximately per day.

What I liked about the drink package is that unlike RCI, bottled waters (not Dasani) and fresh squeezed OJ are included, as well as all cappucinos and specialty teas. I was very satisfied with the drink package.

I hope this makes sense. Basically, it's up to you to figure out what's worth more to you - the drink package or $500.

It's too bad that you can't find another person to go on the cruise and add them as a third to their cabin .That person would be getting a deal as they'd get a cheaper price as the 3rd occupant and the whole suite to themselves. Then, you could keep your drink package and split the OBC with that person and maybe agree to take 2/3 and give them a 1/3 as agreeing to come. That would still give you $300 plus from the cabin, give that person $200 and you get your drink package to get boozy and fiesty with your hubby. lol!

Edited by westcoastgirl1974

We have had large groups on Celebrity cruises before where some people drank, others were teetotalers and others were too young to drink. Our TA actually helped us figure out who would be in what cabin to best maximize our bonuses. Once on the cruise, no one cares where you sleep and certainly don't come looking for you.

On our Alaska cruise in June, I had my cousin in my cabin and my daughter put into the cabin with my sisters so that my cousin and I, both adults, would get the drink packages (we actually got OBC too as the special was 2 of the 3 freebies and my understanding is that the special is on again. I've seen that you can choose 2 of the 3 of gratuities, OBC or drink package on new bookings on a certain website). Regardless, my daughter is 4 and it's a waste to get a drink package for her as she doesn't even drink pop and only drinks water, rice milk and juice. So by putting her into my 2 sisters room, my daughter as the 3rd recipient got a non alcoholic drink package and internet. Otherwise, my cousin, the 3rd in their room, would have ended up with a non alcoholic drink package. There was some creative juggling in other cabins too.

It all worked out fine for us and people slept in the cabins they wanted to and those that wanted drink packages had it and the others didn't.

If you don't want the drink package, then you are ok getting the $500 OBC by switching yourself into the other cabin and one of them into your's with your husband, and then they no show and no one cares. (I'd tell guest services at some point though so they aren't waiting as on our cruise we left way after scheduled time due to waiting for late passengers and no shows). However, if you want the drink package, which includes gratuities by the way, you get no benefit from the switch. 15% gratuities are added to each drink you purchase onboard without a package and if you are a big drinker, that adds up. If you are a light drinker, you can use the OBC towards your drinks and gratuities and come out ahead of getting the drink package in your room. What you need to figure out is how much you are bound to drink daily and what that would cost you approximately per day.

What I liked about the drink package is that unlike RCI, bottled waters (not Dasani) and fresh squeezed OJ are included, as well as all cappucinos and specialty teas. I was very satisfied with the drink package.

I hope this makes sense. Basically, it's up to you to figure out what's worth more to you - the drink package or $500.

It's too bad that you can't find another person to go on the cruise and add them as a third to their cabin .That person would be getting a deal as they'd get a cheaper price as the 3rd occupant and the whole suite to themselves. Then, you could keep your drink package and split the OBC with that person and maybe agree to take 2/3 and give them a 1/3 as agreeing to come. That would still give you $300 plus from the cabin, give that person $200 and you get your drink package to get boozy and fiesty with your hubby. lol!

The other thing to consider, with this plan, is that the OP will get just $300 OBC, but the uncle will lose close to $400 in refunded taxes and port fees. (Our taxes and port fees for the Solstice Alaska cruise in May were $386). In effect, the OP's $300 comes right out of the her uncle's pocket.

If the uncle is simply a no-show, I don't know what happens to the port fees and taxes. But if the uncle cancels before the ship sails, then he will get the port fees back for both people (as I assumed he paid for both)

If the uncle is a no-show, the OBC from the TA should already have been transferred to the uncle's on-board account by embarkation day. Since it is refundable OBC, it should just be credited back, by Celebrity, to the uncle's credit card that is on file. Refundable OBC does not go back to the travel agent.

The other option, of course, is that the uncle would speak to the TA, and see if he would be able to get the OBC amount directly from the TA. After all, the TA will have received his full commission, so it doesn't make any financial difference to him, unless he is being greedy. (Someone could phone the TA, and without naming names, could find out what the policy of the TA re: promised OBC, where a cruise is cancelled at the last minute.) If the TA is going to give your uncle the OBC, then he could cancel the cruise and receive his taxes and port fees refund from Celebrity, and his OBC directly from the TA.

First you would have to find out if your uncle would forfeit his tax and port fees refund if both passengers in the cabin are no-shows. Then it would be up to your uncle to decide which route would make the most sense: to cancel, or simply not show up.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It is not an easy situation, for sure. But whatever you do, leave everything behind when you step on the ship, and let the sea restore you. I wish you both fair winds and following seas. :)

My understanding from Celebrity and my TA is that the OBC is non refundable and non transferable. This applies to OBC from the 1,2,3 promotion and other promos. It comes from Celebrity, unless there's an additional OBC provided by the TA or if it's from a rate reduction. For example, on my RCI cruise in December, I am getting $200 OBC from RCI but our travel agency is giving us an additional $75 for being part of a group booking.

In this case, is the OBC from Celebrity and part of the promotion? If so, then I don't understand how it has anything to do with the TA, commission or how it would be possible to get it back.

If the uncle can get his port fees back by cancelling, then that's to his benefit. It sounds like OP's uncle is financially better off than OP and willing to forfeit the cruise cost (which at this close to sail date is a given). OP states that she and her hubby can really use the $500 so are trying to figure out a way to finagle it for themselves... we don't know if uncle knows about their plan or that he can get anything back at all by cancelling.

Really, OP, the first step is to contact your TA and/or call Celebrity and ask what happens if people no show, what cancellation policies are as far as port fees, and if people can be switched between cabins and if there's a cost associated. You are NOT obligated to give Celebrity your name or phone number and can gave a fake one if you like. This was a tip given to me by my TA as once I called to ask a couple of questions (which were answered to my satisfaction) but then I kept getting multiple daily phone calls (that I didn't answer) and multiple daily emails to get me to book on a cruise which I had already stated I was booking with my own TA.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

Edited by westcoastgirl1974

The UK terms and conditions state a charge of £75pp for a name change, which is treated as a new booking and you are re invoiced at the current cabin rate.

Just off an a land based holiday, but no internet, will be getting withdrawal symptoms!

edit to add:

If you separated bookings - you in one cabin, your hubby in your uncle cabin, you will loose beverage package. So think about it.

What date is the deadline for cancelling a booking? The job situation could change.

Which cabin is better? One will be unoccupied anyway. Celebrity may be flexible.

Another idea,

Ask the TA or Celebrity the cost of taking the other cabin and cancelling your own. You do want to cancel one cabin for port/tax refunds.

You may prefer the OBC over the drink package, if it still applies.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc