Pools on Norweign Breakaway

sillysu

This is something that bothered me a little bit as I just found this out myself a few days ago. I booked over a year ago and since then have ready review after review (I mean seriously obsessed 😜) and anything and everything I could about this ship and have not seen this mentioned anywhere. Even now that I know I can't find it on ncl's website either. I don't think I've ever seen the main pool be adults only on any of my cruises. I understand and welcome adult only areas like h20 and serenity (Carnival) but I don't think I like this. I'm traveling with two 16 year old girls that like to take the sun and dip in the pool, not run around and be the rowdy kids most would complain about. I am also not one of these parents that will drop the kid off at the pool and go on my way but now the way I see it I will have to hang out in the back by the kids pool where there looks to not be many chairs or much room around it in general to keep an eye on them. Don't get me wrong, I'm still SO excited to go and I probably would've booked anyway had I known but I'm hoping this does not put a damper on things for us. Oh well, rant over, 24 more days and will have a great time anyway. 😄

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is something that bothered me a little bit as I just found this out myself a few days ago. I booked over a year ago and since then have ready review after review (I mean seriously obsessed 😜) and anything and everything I could about this ship and have not seen this mentioned anywhere. Even now that I know I can't find it on ncl's website either. I don't think I've ever seen the main pool be adults only on any of my cruises. I understand and welcome adult only areas like h20 and serenity (Carnival) but I don't think I like this. I'm traveling with two 16 year old girls that like to take the sun and dip in the pool, not run around and be the rowdy kids most would complain about. I am also not one of these parents that will drop the kid off at the pool and go on my way but now the way I see it I will have to hang out in the back by the kids pool where there looks to not be many chairs or much room around it in general to keep an eye on them. Don't get me wrong, I'm still SO excited to go and I probably would've booked anyway had I known but I'm hoping this does not put a damper on things for us. Oh well, rant over, 24 more days and will have a great time anyway. 😄

Your 16 year olds will be fine in that adult pool. I saw plenty of older teens in it on our cruise. They just changed it to adults only after the boy drowned on the Breakaway this spring.

Your 16 year olds will be fine in that adult pool. I saw plenty of older teens in it on our cruise. They just changed it to adults only after the boy drowned on the Breakaway this spring.

A boy drowned?? That's terrible!!! So do you know the age limit at pool? I see in pics there seems to be a few pools?? It's confusing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG, SUZIEQ

I don't know exact age limit. It says adults only. I never saw teens in the kids pool. I often saw them in the adult pool. Staff would make sure younger children stayed out. No one ever said anything to teens. No one was carded. Everyone behaved like responsible adults while in the adult pool.

We sailed on Breakaway the first week of July.

The picture in Post #1 is the Adult Only Pool. It was strictly enforced on our trip. There was a crew member stationed on the stage above the pool.

The picture in Post #4 is the Kid's Pool.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Not the one pictured. That's adults only. BTW, that's not all water. Only that middle section is water.

Does anyone know why they do that with the pools?

If they have enough space on either side of the pool for 3 inches of water why can't they do a 4 or 5 foot surround so that it is actual usable swim able space?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did not like or enjoy pool area on the BA. Most crowded tight spot on ship. The pool was not an enjoyable experience at all. No young children myself, but most parents we met were not happy with the set up.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The main pool doesn't allow children!?!? This just sounds insanel! I thought the only adults only areas were h20 and vibe. I see the mention that this has only been changed after a tragedy. I just don't understand how segregation of the kids to the other pool is any safer. Obviously if this is the rule we will follow.

The main pool doesn't allow children!?!? This just sounds insanel! I thought the only adults only areas were h20 and vibe. I see the mention that this has only been changed after a tragedy. I just don't understand how segregation of the kids to the other pool is any safer. Obviously if this is the rule we will follow.

The entire pool is 6ft deep. At first both pools allowed all ages, but yes, after the drowning, they changed the main pools on Breakaway and Getaway to adult only. The funny thing is that they still do Nickelodeon Spongebob stuff at that main pool stage. The AREA isn't adult only - just the pool itself. 2 of the 4 hot tubs at the main pool are adult only and the other 2 allow kids.

People completely line the edges of the pool, sitting thigh to thigh. I'm not a strong swimmer, and I wouldn't even brave it for that reason. If I'd gotten tired, I'd have had no where to go to grab on to the side unless I grabbed a leg. I wish the attendants would keep the edges cleared.

No, not a joke. Actually, the only reason i was looking into it was because I saw someone post a complaint on the NCL FB page after getting off the Getaway. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Seems to be different experiences regarding teens. Like i said, not going to ruin my vacation, we'll get over it.

The entire pool is 6ft deep. At first both pools allowed all ages, but yes, after the drowning, they changed the main pools on Breakaway and Getaway to adult only. The funny thing is that they still do Nickelodeon Spongebob stuff at that main pool stage. The AREA isn't adult only - just the pool itself. 2 of the 4 hot tubs at the main pool are adult only and the other 2 allow kids.

People completely line the edges of the pool, sitting thigh to thigh. I'm not a strong swimmer, and I wouldn't even brave it for that reason. If I'd gotten tired, I'd have had no where to go to grab on to the side unless I grabbed a leg. I wish the attendants would keep the edges cleared.

Well that puts it into a different perspective. My kids could swim but yeah, with a crowd like that and 6' deep all around..yikes. I'm surprised they designed it that way. With the water sloshing around it can sometimes become difficult to swim even on a calm sea day

Breakaway pool design is absolutely awful. First, that stupid splash thing in the adult area. It would have been okay as a second feature but, seriously, why no pool? The little pool on Epic wasn't great but it was far better than no pool. If the reason was the actitivites they do there, they very easily could have installed the kind of pool that covers with the floor during activities.

Second, the "kids" pool. Because of the surround of the slides runoff, plexiglass walls and parts, there is nowhere to sit around this pool that you can actually see kids in the pool. You are forced to sit way back under the overhang almost if you want a lounge chair. You cannot sit on a lounge chair and be watching your kids at the same time.

Central "adult" pool. This is the only one designed like a normal pool where you can sit around it. It is a good sized pool. But, as mentioned earlier, the stage right in front of it is used throughout the day for Nickelodeon activities so scream ing kids all around. It is not relaxing, not quiet and there is really no reason why this pool should be adults only ( other than because oft he terrible planning of not having a pool in H2O)

I enjoyed the breakaway but the pools are a huge issue.

It's to just that they are small. They are very poorly designed. I don't think DCL's pools a re bigger but they are well laid out next to each other on a full open deck with seating all around them and even in between them, which just makes so much more sense.

Edited by conandrob240

Wow! Really sounds like poor design!

Why should the pool be 7 ft!? The footprint is so small. It's not like anyone would be diving in. But I think the depth of a pool to dive in would actually be deeper! Why not 5 ft!? Most people could get in to cool off but the water would be up to most peoples necks....not understanding the need to be SEVEN feet deep!!

I was very saddened to learn about the drowning. However, while researching, I read several articles and am very bothered by the fact that people are questioning why there aren't any lifeguards on board but there is NO mention of where the parents were!! Or the fact that since the pools don't have a lifeguard, that there are signs posted for parents to watch their own kids! Why is everyone blaming NCL!? Signs must be posted all over!! I knew there were no lifeguards on board but I am also a parent that watches her children like a hawk, no mater if there is a lifeguard or not, and would be right there to swoop in if need be!

Edited by English101

All I'm going to say to the people complaining about the pool area being jammed... Here's your sign... DW and I have found the Breakaway to be a superbly designed ship (one that would not be out of place in a Holland America fleet). And NO KIDDING the pool area will be busy during a peak season cruise ;). For what it is worth, we just sail off peak times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums