Stingray Tour Comparison

SESFan

Hello! I'll be sailing away on the Disney Fantasy in 2 weeks (my first Disney cruise, but will be my 10th overall) with 5 other adults in our 20's. I've been researching the different Stingray tour companies and have read multiple threads about them.

My main concerns:

1. # of people of each boat - I don't want to be packed in like a sardine :P
  2. Finding them on pier/local time issues - I've read reviews about confusion with local time vs ship time. How do you figure it out? :(
  3. Price - We're spending a lot in Cozumel and Jamaica so there's not much left in the budget :X
  4. Returning to ship on time - I get very nervous about missing the ship! Do these tours guarantee your return?

Here are the 3 companies I have narrowed down with comments/questions:

Captain Marvin's - $45

Sandbar + Barrier Reef + Coral Gardens

3 hours (dock to dock)

Comments/Questions: Highly recommended on CC. But is it crowded? How many people are usually on the boat with you? Ever felt too packed in? Also, is there a deposit required?

Native Way Water Sports - $40

Sandbar + Coral Gardens + Star Fish Snorkel

3 hours (dock to dock)

No deposit required

Comments/Questions: Also highly recommended but read negative reviews about local time issues. Read a couple (ya, only 2 ...) reviews that stated the operator said they were late so they left without them (although pax say they were not late). Makes me nervous as I'm planning for my group. Are these just rare occurrences? Also, is this tour crowded? Ever felt too packed in?

Acquarus Sea Tours - $50

Sandbar + Coral Gardens (or Reef) + Star Fish Snorkel

3.5 hours (on boat, excludes transport time)

Free downloadable photos, iced water/fruit punch, margarita pizza

No deposit required

Comments/Questions: Fewest reviews of them all ... anyone else use this company? Nice that the 3.5 hour time is actual boat time (more time to snorkel, etc). Also really really like that they provide free photos. (I'm a huge photo taking person so it's nice that I won't have to worry about getting my camera wet) Don't really care for food but I guess that's a plus?

We were not planning on seeing the stingrays (due to budget issues, hehe) but I kept reading wonderful things about it! I'm suuuper excited :D Any suggestions/info is much appreciated!!! ;)

Regarding Captain Marvin's (which we did in June)...

1) They know when the ships are getting in. They book their tours accordingly. Our ship was an hour ahead of GC time, but Captain Marvin's knew that.

2) Their office was VERY easy to find. Exit the port, walk one block left, cross the street.

3) The bus to their boat had every seat filled, but didn't feel cramped (and I was sitting in a fold down jump seat).

4) The boat was definitely not crowded. There was maybe 15-20 people on board.

5) Stingray city was crowded... there were probably 8 boats there, including the crowded ones from the ship. It was not much of an issue though.

6) On the way back (after our snorkel stop), they had a laptop set up down below to look at pictures. I was sitting up top with two kids, DW was on the main deck with our other child. I had assumed DW had looked at the pictures, she was waiting for me. So we didn't look until we docked. We ordered and they arranged for the DVD to be delivered to the office and we picked it up when we were dropped back off. We had done a Hell/Turtle Farm excursion with Captain Marvin's after the stingray/snorkel.

7) They even stopped at Subway for us in between the two excursions so we could have something to eat.

8) Captain Marvin's also had water/fruit punch on board.

If you click on the 'Video' link in my signature, from ~:59 to 1:24 covers when we were with Captain Marvin's.

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

When I found out that Nativewy was booked, she recommended Capt Marvin.

I was all set to book there, very professional advance communications, but then I found StingraySailing.

They sail rather than motor to the sites, so I am booked with them for next April. Much prefer a sailboat to a noisy motor.

Max in the catamaran is 25, they most often sail with less. Very responsive and professional communication, and sent very detailed info about the time and place to meet the guide at the pier.

I really would like to swim with the rays but my husband has mobility issues (bad knees) was Capt Marvin's boat (steps) manageable or difficult. thanks

I'm sorry, I don't remember anything special about the steps. I think they were just a "standard" ladder more than steps. Like what you'd see in the deep end of a pool.

Acquarus Sea Tours - $50

Sandbar + Coral Gardens (or Reef) + Star Fish Snorkel

3.5 hours (on boat, excludes transport time)

Free downloadable photos, iced water/fruit punch, margarita pizza

No deposit required

Comments/Questions: Fewest reviews of them all ... anyone else use this company? Nice that the 3.5 hour time is actual boat time (more time to snorkel, etc). Also really really like that they provide free photos. (I'm a huge photo taking person so it's nice that I won't have to worry about getting my camera wet) Don't really care for food but I guess that's a plus?

The free photos on this one is what sold it for me. I haven't been yet but there are a few reviews about them and all seemed positive.

I just went back and read my review from 2008 and I know it's dated but we did Native ways back then and loved them! Only 6 of us on the boat, lots of space. The tour guides were amazing. They even stopped the boat half way back to dive in and bring up starfish. I hope they're just as good now we may use them again.

I have done 3 excursions to stingray city - twice with stingray sailing and once with someone else. Going out on the catamaran was sooooo much nicer than going out on a speedboat. It makes for an incredibly relaxing, awesome excursion. We will likely book stingray sailing for a 3rd time next year.

Really easy to book, clear meeting instructions and no problems getting back to the port with lots of time.

Edited by cath32
More detail

Does anyone know if one is better than another for children or if they offer a discount for kids? Thanks.

We just got back from one with Aquarius (see thread in this forum) and there was a little 4 year old boy who came along. They loved him! He even got to drive the boat for awhile.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I decided to book the Acquarus Sea tours, although the decision was a difficult one. I couldn't help it when free photos are offered. ;) I'll be there in 2 weeks so I'll let you guys know how it went.

Thanks again!

How Rocky is the ride to stingray city? We are prone to motion sickness in a car, but the big "ship" usually doesn't bother us. Also how deep is the water at stingray city? Our daughter (7) wants to do this or dolphin encounter at Chankanaab in Cozumel next week. But, she is a very nervous little girl and doesn't swim too well. We will also have our 2 year old son (who isn't afraid of ANYTHING!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How Rocky is the ride to stingray city? We are prone to motion sickness in a car, but the big "ship" usually doesn't bother us. Also how deep is the water at stingray city? Our daughter (7) wants to do this or dolphin encounter at Chankanaab in Cozumel next week. But, she is a very nervous little girl and doesn't swim too well. We will also have our 2 year old son (who isn't afraid of ANYTHING!!!)

I don't remember the ride to stingray city being rocky...but I guess that would also be weather-dependent. The water at the site is about waist-deep for an adult. You can check with whoever you book with to see if they have life-jackets for the kids. The water is crystal-clear with a very soft sand bottom, so you can watch from the boat if you don't want to get in the water.

We have also done the dolphin swim at Chankanaab - but about 4 years ago. I think they put you in life jackets for this. I remember standing on a ledge here, and I believe the water was about waist-deep for an adult, as well.

I am sure there are tons of pictures of Stingray city in this thread or on cruise reviews that will give you a good idea of what the site looks like.

On the Cozumel thread, I am sure there will be lots of pictures with the dolphins and more recent info about the dolphin swim.

All that research and Acquarus Sea Tours is fully booked! Sad :( I've emailed the other two tours to see if they have availability.

Does anyone have experience snorkeling (without a tour) with turtles? I was thinking of switching it up to see the Turtle Farm instead but read reviews that the Turtle Lagoon wasn't very nice. Anyone know what a nice spot to snorkel with turtles would be? :)

I really would like to swim with the rays but my husband has mobility issues (bad knees) was Capt Marvin's boat (steps) manageable or difficult. thanks

We just returned from can't Marvin's tour. The boat did not feel crowded. There were steps to easily climb into the water....they were great, we had a good time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

About motion sickness....I am prone to it in a car but not on a big ship. When I did the stingray tour(or anything else in a small boat) I take a non drowsy Dramamine or Bonine...no reason to take a chance and have your tour ruined.

I just went with my 7 yr old grandson. He was nervous at first but once in the water the rays are so gentle and the crew showed us how to pet them and feed them. Water was waist deep on adults. We loved it!

• 4 weeks later...

Native Way Water Sports - $40

Sandbar + Coral Gardens + Star Fish Snorkel

3 hours (dock to dock)

No deposit required

Comments/Questions: Also highly recommended but read negative reviews about local time issues. Read a couple (ya, only 2 ...) reviews that stated the operator said they were late so they left without them (although pax say they were not late). Makes me nervous as I'm planning for my group. Are these just rare occurrences? Also, is this tour crowded? Ever felt too packed in?

We were not planning on seeing the stingrays (due to budget issues, hehe) but I kept reading wonderful things about it! I'm suuuper excited :D Any suggestions/info is much appreciated!!! ;)

I can only comment on Nativeway since that is who we used to go to the sandbar. I do have to ask though...you said you were going to the sandbar, coral garden and starfish, but in your last sentence you said "We were not planning on seeing the stingrays"...but that's what the sandbar IS. So I'm confused.

The stingrays is the highlight of the tour and going to Grand Caymen. It's seriously worth doing and such a neat experience. It's so different than going to a port and having to swim or interact with them in a cage. This is in the middle of the ocean in their own habitat. They see you pull up and they come swimming. They are so amazing and such a wonderful experience.

I have a COMPLETE review with TONS of pictures located in my signature link of our day with Nativeway. We have booked with them twice, yes the first time did not go too well and we have been one of the people that had issues with the "time" problem. The second time around they made things right and gave us a free tour (the first tour ended up not even being with them, but an unknown company). They made us have the best experience of the cruise and totally worth the wait. My suggestion for anyone going to Grand Caymen is verify the ship time when you are leaving and find out what time it is compared to the time on the island so you'll know. :)

Stingray Sailing is the way to go. Small groups, beautiful catamaran (though they do occasionally take a power boat - depends on the day). Chip, the owner, is a lifelong Cayman resident and a good guy. Very safety conscious, and they anchor away from the *HUGE* groups that come directly from the ship. You'll feel like you're on an exclusive and relatively private excursion, even if they do have 20 people. They provide very specific instructions on meeting them. We had 6 or 7 the last time I sailed with them. They also have cool tee-shirts... Check them out.

* Note: Do be aware of ships time vs island time. Their clocks do not change when ours do. Always stay on ships time.

Edited by bailey57

I totally agreee with baily57. I'm not sure why Stingray Sailing was not on your initial list.

We recently did an excursion with them. They were very prompt departing the pier. The number of people they take is small relative to the size of the boat. Chip really makes sure everyone has a great time. My DD9 had NO intention of getting near a stingray. He really put her at ease. We have so many great pictures of her with stingrays. She had an awesome day!. She absolutely loved jumping off the boat. The boat is so spacious. You can sit in the front or under the canopy or lay on the trampoline. The snorkeling sight is spectacular. They have really nice equipment. This is sooo important. You know what I'm talking about if you've ever used a junky mask that just won't seal.

We've done 40+ cruises and 100+ excursions. Stingray Sailing is among the best. The sail is up for a relaxing ride back to the pier. You can also get dropped at 7-mile beach on the way back. I can't imagine a better day in Grand Cayman!

Reposting my Nativeway video from earlier in the year. I have to state again, not sure if we were lucky or what, but there were only the 2 of us on the tour other than stingray city so they took us wherever we wanted to go! And as you can see from the brief boat shots it was not crowded at all. Also, I think they are the owners, not sure, but Sharron and Eldon both took us around everywhere individually and were fun and as awesome as can be!

Edited by just4steven

Reposting my Nativeway video from earlier in the year. I have to state again, not sure if we were lucky or what, but there were only the 2 of us on the tour other than stingray city so they took us wherever we wanted to go! And as you can see from the brief boat shots it was not crowded at all. Also, I think they are the owners, not sure, but Sharron and Eldon both took us around everywhere individually and were fun and as awesome as can be!

We had a very small crowd as well; our family of 3, our 5 friends and another couple. We had all the attention we could get.

Yes, Sharon and Eldon are the owners and are married. :)

Thank you for sharing this information. That company said they were sold out for the tour we really wanted, and suggested this one. I'm going to tell them, Thank You, but NO.

That TIME thing is VERY CONFUSING.

Thanks again for all the helpful information.