Missed the ship

nancynana9950

Possibly no big deal; however, every throttle advance results in excess fuel costs (fines have already been discussed). One video showing info on the Epic explained the excessive fuel costs while trying to regain time. We waited an hour for late passengers during one of our western Caribbean stops. While there are certainly "good reasons" for being late, it definitely puts the captain in a "d@¿#d if you do/don't" position. And, yes, that goes with the paycheck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There is no question that the time can be made up and it is quite possible that extra fuel would be required but it will be averaged over the trip, and in the end it all balances out. Many factors will determine how fast/slow they need to travel to get to their destination on time. Things all beyond the Cruise Lines control such as weather and water currents. They use a fairly sophisticated method of cruise control on the ships which also optimises fuel usage. They pick the destination, pick the time they want to arrive and the speed of the ship is automatically set based on all internal and external factors. Personally I’d be more worried about the fact that they could slap a surcharge on for fuel whenever the price of oil is above $65 per barrel (which it has been for years).

And what about when itinerary changes are made. The passengers certainly wouldn’t receive a refund if the ship used less fuel. The Cruise Line takes all these things into consideration when calculating cruise fees.

I understand the principal but we don't know why they were late. Sometimes things happen beyond anyone's control. If it doesn't impact the overall cruise, does it really matter if the ship leaves a little later. Hopefully you never find yourself in this situation.

Totally agree. It is so easy to sit here and pontificate about how awful it is that some idiot passenger delays a ship for 30 minutes or an hour. Yes, a pax maybe drinking in a bar somewhere. But it is also possible that the pax was involved in an unfortunate auto accident (have seen it happen) or injured themselves and needed medical attention (but not enough to make them leave the ship--have also seen that happen).

As is so often the case, with other people it is "personal responsibility," but with yourself, it is "unfortunate incident."

Totally agree. It is so easy to sit here and pontificate about how awful it is that some idiot passenger delays a ship for 30 minutes or an hour. Yes, a pax maybe drinking in a bar somewhere. But it is also possible that the pax was involved in an unfortunate auto accident (have seen it happen) or injured themselves and needed medical attention (but not enough to make them leave the ship--have also seen that happen).

As is so often the case, with other people it is "personal responsibility," but with yourself, it is "unfortunate incident."

If anyone should have been charged the captain should go charge himself. He broke the rules by waiting for them and not departing on time as his employer pays him to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Just last night, I had a nightmare about missing the ship and being stranded. It was such a terrible, hopeless feeling that I'm sure to be extra vigilant with time on my next sailing.

It's nice to hear that the Captains usually make allowances for these sorts of situations, if worst comes to worst! Didn't bother me at all when it happened to others on our boat coming out of St. Maarten, and we were slightly delayed.

For the guys at the bar drinking, why didn't the captain just leave them there? They would have figured it out soon enough. There was no reason for the ship to wait and incur a fee, and definitely no reason for him to send a van to retrieve them.

Edited by ClarkBHM

They would be idiots to pay it. The Captain has no legal authority to decide who owes what if anything. He may be king of the ship, but thats it.

The same passenger contract that you just cited also contains language that does allow NCL to pass fines on to passengers.

Fines from government agencies, not a captain of a cruise ship...hello???

Yes, fines from government agencies. This is what NCL's contract says and I am sure Princess has similar language in theirs (especiallys since one of the people took the issue to an attorney and was advised to pay it):

"Carrier shall have the right without notice to depart without the Guest and Guest shall be fully responsible to pay for or indemnify the Carrier from all expenses incurred to rejoin the vessel at the next port or for his/her own return passage, including, but not limited to, government fees or fines, visa fees, subsistence, lodging, air fare, launch fare, car hire or agency fees. In such event, Guest shall not be entitled to a refund and shall be deemed to have breached this ticket contract."

Edited by sparks1093

Yes, fines from government agencies. This is what NCL's contract says and I am sure Princess has similar language in theirs (especiallys since one of the people took the issue to an attorney and was advised to pay it):

"Carrier shall have the right without notice to depart without the Guest and Guest shall be fully responsible to pay for or indemnify the Carrier from all expenses incurred to rejoin the vessel at the next port or for his/her own return passage, including, but not limited to, government fees or fines, visa fees, subsistence, lodging, air fare, launch fare, car hire or agency fees. In such event, Guest shall not be entitled to a refund and shall be deemed to have breached this ticket contract."

Thats not what supposedly happened

all cruise lines operate on a tight schedule. Remember, the turn around time in Port is tight. It costs the line thousands of dollars to make up a half hour delay.

Then the captain who supposedly held the boat up to go searching for some drunken passengers should have to face the music.

Just because he decided to wait doesnt mean can deflect the fine as he sees fit.

Doesn't make sense. He is not a judge. Rather just an employee of a corporation and doesnt weild that power. Thank god.

Then the captain who supposedly held the boat up to go searching for some drunken passengers should have to face the music.

Just because he decided to wait doesnt mean can deflect the fine as he sees fit.

Doesn't make sense. He is not a judge. Rather just an employee of a corporation and doesnt weild that power. Thank god.

Wow, Jackson! Did I say anything about the captain deflecting a fine? Please do not put words or meaning into other people's posts.

They must have been having a really good time.

would love to know the rest of the story. We came pretty close once, so now, when we do tours, if not with the cruise line, we make sure they are short enough to give us plenty of time to get back on board.

They would be idiots to pay it. The Captain has no legal authority to decide who owes what if anything. He may be king of the ship, but thats it.

You said it yourself, he IS king of the ship and as such has responsibility for all passengers and crew. He can fine them if he chooses to. Now, collecting it is a different story...

You said it yourself, he IS king of the ship and as such has responsibility for all passengers and crew. He can fine them if he chooses to. Now, collecting it is a different story...

Ai am not sure where the disconnect is.... The captain did not fine them. A government agency fined the ship and the ship passed the fine into the responsible party. The captain didn't say you were late you are fined it.

It was you were late they fined us, so here is the fine.

Ai am not sure where the disconnect is.... The captain did not fine them. A government agency fined the ship and the ship passed the fine into the responsible party. The captain didn't say you were late you are fined it.

It was you were late they fined us, so here is the fine.

The whole thing is absurd. The captain held up the ship, not the drunken passengers. Like if you are parked at a meter waiting to pick someone up. If you are only allowed there for 30 min, and the other party shows up 2 hours later causing you to get a ticket, then you are responsible, not the late arriving party. You could have left as scheduled.

Secondly, just because you are nasty to an employee, what gives him the right to say you owe more of the fine than the two gentlemen you were with? Maybe the employee hayes women, hates blondes or redheads and thats why she owes more. That reeks of discrimination.

Either the whole story is just made up, or something else is missing

Little jackie b.