Missed the ship

nancynana9950

Two men had to take the tug boat out to the Breakaway. Watched them climb the ladder. Anyone know how much this costs them? Cheaper than flying home I'll bet! I don't understand how someone can miss the ship when it's in port for three days!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DW and I flew to Bermuda back in 1974. We were riding scooter around St. George on Sunday morning and ran into a couple from our town. (Very small town) We spent the day touring with them and then rode back to dock in Hamilton. Their ship was anchored in harbor.

Long story short. After final shuttle had left a woman came running up in a tizzy. Think it cost her $100.00 (lot of money in 1974) for a speedboat to take her to ship.

Two men had to take the tug boat out to the Breakaway. Watched them climb the ladder. Anyone know how much this costs them? Cheaper than flying home I'll bet! I don't understand how someone can miss the ship when it's in port for three days!

I make the Frog and Onion Pub my last stop before we board to head home,it could be one day:eek:

This was posted on the Port Bermuda's Facebook page today. Someone asked them how much it costs and their reply was "Free, we take care of our tourists as best we can".

Gotta love Bermuda!! I'm not sure any other port would go to the trouble of rescuing late passengers like Bermuda does.

Edited by Chesneygirl

This was posted on the Port Bermuda's Facebook page. Someone asked them how much it costs and their reply was "Free, we take care of our tourists as best we can".

Gotta love Bermuda!! I'm not sure any other port would go to the trouble of rescuing late passengers like Bermuda does.

That's so great. LOVE BERMUDA!!!

This is the same cruise where the little boy had to be air lifted from the ship near Atlantic City after he sustained a head injury after falling off the pull down bed.

Safe Sailing Home Breakaway.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I wonder if NCL has ever thought about the liability risk if one of these people were to loose their balance during the transfer and fall between the hulls of the ship and the tug. If they were trapped between and the waves brought the two hulls together, serious injury or death would result. This is dangerous for all involved.

You are welcome, LrgPizza

As to the question of safety of the transfer from the Faithful tug to Breakaway, the ship has the utmost passenger safety in mind.

About a month ago, a woman was late in getting back to the ship. The tugboat Faithful tried to have her board BA to no avail. The Captain deemed it unsafe. She was left on Bermuda and missed her cruise back.

~Robin

I was watching the webcam and noticed the Breakaway left Bermuda at 5:30, they should of left the men there. I am tired of people being late, everyone knows when the ship leaves, so be on time! I am so tired of this s...!

I understand the principal but we don't know why they were late. Sometimes things happen beyond anyone's control. If it doesn't impact the overall cruise, does it really matter if the ship leaves a little later. Hopefully you never find yourself in this situation.

I make the Frog and Onion Pub my last stop before we board to head home,it could be one day:eek:

Hey!!! Better not miss the ship...they might make you swim...lol. Janice and I just got

of the Getaway. Great ship!! Vett princess, Esther and I have been staying in contact. Take care!!!

Deb

Carnival Pride April 2007 had just left Cabo and suddenly we came to a stop on

the ocean photo opt side of the scenic arch.

A tender from the Celebrity ship had come astern with two of our Carnival passengers

who had tried to board the wrong (Celebrity) ship.

'Good' - I must say "Exceptional" co-operation between all concerned to get the

right people on the right ship.

The waves on the photo opt side of the arches were something to behold.

As for ships having to wait a few minutes for late comers - no big deal just

advance the throttle a bit more and back on schedule. None of these beasts of

the sea operate at FULL throttle (pedal to the metal) unless they are racing a

weather front. Operating at maximum speed is just as bad as driving a car

at excessive speed- economy goes down hill real fast and the ride suffers

because of it.

Interesting in that on that voyage arrived early at Long Beach - no problemo !

That's so great. LOVE BERMUDA!!!

This is the same cruise where the little boy had to be air lifted from the ship near Atlantic City after he sustained a head injury after falling off the pull down bed.

Safe Sailing Home Breakaway.

~Robin

We pray that the little guy will be ok.

I was watching the webcam and noticed the Breakaway left Bermuda at 5:30, they should of left the men there. I am tired of people being late, everyone knows when the ship leaves, so be on time! I am so tired of this s...!

Not to worry. The ship can always make up time while at sea.

I understand the principal but we don't know why they were late. Sometimes things happen beyond anyone's control. If it doesn't impact the overall cruise, does it really matter if the ship leaves a little later. Hopefully you never find yourself in this situation.

It may not have an impact on anyone's cruise if the ship leaves a little late, but it does have an impact on the Cruise Line. They are fined if they leave late. Several years ago 3 people my DH knows caused a Princess ship to leave the port of Juneau in Alaska late because they wouldn't leave a bar in town (Red Dog Saloon). The captain, after finding out from DH (Who had made it back on time), where the missing three were sent a van and a junior officer after them. They had held up the ship by about 45-minutes. Princess was charged $10,000. I know this because the cost of the fine was spilt between the 3. $2500 each for the two men, $5000 for the woman because she gave the captain lip, and was deemed the most guilty of the 3 (The two men apologized for holding up the ship, the woman had attitude).

I wonder if NCL has ever thought about the liability risk if one of these people were to loose their balance during the transfer and fall between the hulls of the ship and the tug. If they were trapped between and the waves brought the two hulls together, serious injury or death would result. This is dangerous for all involved.

If you read the passenger contract it woild appear they are not responsible for any thing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

It may not have an impact on anyone's cruise if the ship leaves a little late, but it does have an impact on the Cruise Line. They are fined if they leave late. Several years ago 3 people my DH knows caused a Princess ship to leave the port of Juneau in Alaska late because they wouldn't leave a bar in town (Red Dog Saloon). The captain, after finding out from DH (Who had made it back on time), where the missing three were sent a van and a junior officer after them. They had held up the ship by about 45-minutes. Princess was charged $10,000. I know this because the cost of the fine was spilt between the 3. $2500 each for the two men, $5000 for the woman because she gave the captain lip, and was deemed the most guilty of the 3 (The two men apologized for holding up the ship, the woman had attitude).

They would be idiots to pay it. The Captain has no legal authority to decide who owes what if anything. He may be king of the ship, but thats it.

Thanks for sharing

They would be idiots to pay it. The Captain has no legal authority to decide who owes what if anything. He may be king of the ship, but thats it.

Actually she took it to a lawyer, and she had to pay. They could have gotten a judgment against her, which could have resulted in a lien being placed against her house if the cruise line decided to pursue it that far. At the very least, refusing to pay could have had a negative impact on her credit for 7 years.

She was at fault. She knew what time she was suppose to be back on board, she held up the ship, and instead of apologizing, she chose to be difficult and dared the Captain to leave her behind if she decided to be late at the next port. She's a real piece of work, don't waste any time feeling sorry for her.

- no big deal just

advance the throttle a bit more and back on schedule.

Possibly no big deal; however, every throttle advance results in excess fuel costs (fines have already been discussed). One video showing info on the Epic explained the excessive fuel costs while trying to regain time. We waited an hour for late passengers during one of our western Caribbean stops. While there are certainly "good reasons" for being late, it definitely puts the captain in a "d@¿#d if you do/don't" position. And, yes, that goes with the paycheck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good for the captain..;)

If there are “idiots” who deliberately hold up the ship, then maybe they should be held responsible for incurred costs. In this case, we don’t know why they were late so I’m just giving them the benefit of the doubt (as I would expect to be given). Certainly there occasions when we will never know why and maybe we just exercise a little moral compassion and say hold the ship. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to be left behind even if it was their faux pas.