Time from Cape Canaveral to Orlando Airport?

Derbie

We are considering purchasing a flight; rather, than driving from our home in Nashville. There is a flight leaving at 10:50 AM (out of Orlando) headed to Nashville. Do you think we can make this flight? We are traveling on the Carnival Sunshine. We have two young girls that have to go to school in the morning. Any help, would be greatly appreciated!

We are considering purchasing a flight; rather, than driving from our home in Nashville. There is a flight leaving at 10:50 AM (out of Orlando) headed to Nashville. Do you think we can make this flight? We are traveling on the Carnival Sunshine. We have two young girls that have to go to school in the morning. Any help, would be greatly appreciated!

It is about a 45-50 minute drive from port to Orlando Airport. Ship usually starts disembarkation about 8am. About 47 miles from Canaveral to MCO.

It's approximately an 45 mins to an hour. Please take into consideration traffic congestion can sometimes be an issue or accidents. I think 10:50 flight is too close

And security at MCO, at times, can be brutal. I've read reports of people delayed up to 2 or more hours just getting through security there.

I agree, it's too short a time for my comfort. Most cruise lines recommend flights after 11:30-12:00 for this connection.

Personally, I think a person would be *nuts* to book a flight from MCO before 1:00 PM the day a cruise disembarks.

Maybe, just maybe, if I had a person sitting in a car at the pier waiting for me to get off the ship and I was carrying all my luggage off with me and could do self-debarkation (which I always do), then maybe I might consider a Noon flight as an absolute last resort, but I sure wouldn't be comfortable with it.

I just can't imagine it being possible if you'd have to wait for a shuttle or pick up a rental car....

I got off the Dream and made it to the Epcot parking lot by 10:00 AM once, but we were seriously hauling butt. I think we were among the first 20 people off the ship, got up at 5:00 AM so we could be standing in the lounge on the 3rd floor waiting for them to clear the ship so we could GO....

Janis

If you carry-off the bags yourself or better yet, luggage express, you can taxi and make it for sure.

Sure more $$, but if you use a transport company, or even a rental car, you would lose valuable time, shuttling to get your car....but if you booked the flight know that the fastest way to MCO is a taxi.

Mike

I used to live in Orlando and have flown in and out of that airport for years. Leaving the port is easy and quick. However, there is basically one road that connects the East coast with Orlando, and if you get stuck on that, you are hosed. Plus, MCO can be a nightmare, especially if you are checking bags.

I agree with the posters, nothing before noon. That way, you have the extra time if you need it. If not, you can relax in the airport.

Last questions; anyone rented a car from the airport to the port and then did the same on returning to the airport? If so, does the rental companies have fairly early hours.

Thanks again

I do rent oneway but not to the airport (have family in North Orlando). The rental agencies are open either at 730 or 800am. And for PC, they are about 10 minute ride. The rental agencies do have complimentary shuttles.

Yes the two one way rentals will work and also should be the most cost effective option. I believe many of the companies at the airport operate 24 hours. By the time you get off the ship on your return they will be open.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you carry-off the bags yourself or better yet, luggage express, you can taxi and make it for sure.

Sure more $$, but if you use a transport company, or even a rental car, you would lose valuable time, shuttling to get your car....but if you booked the flight know that the fastest way to MCO is a taxi.

Mike

I think the OP's flight time is too early to use luggage express.

Bill

Ok, so flights out before 12:00pm are a death sentence, especially during hurricane season.

When i cruised with DCL out of Port canaveral we had a 2pm fight and were at the airport by 8:30am.

Another time we cruised on CCL and a person left a suitcase in the parking lot and drove away.

They shut down the port until they figured out if the bag was dangerous or not.

So no way to say for certain one way or the other.

Is the OP sailing during hurricane season? i didn't see a day that she was looking at?

Bill

We had a 10:30am out of Orlando last January after our cruise. We did self-debarcation as early as we could, and took a taxi. We were at the airport at 8:00am and at the gate by 8:30am.

Yes, there could be a whole number of delays. So its a risk. But under normal circumstances, your 10:50am is easy to make.

Yes the two one way rentals will work and also should be the most cost effective option. I believe many of the companies at the airport operate 24 hours. By the time you get off the ship on your return they will be open.

Airport rental car agencies are open 24 hours. Only in the smaller airports have I experienced non-24 hours rental agencies.

Plus you will be delayed with paying tolls (2 or 3). I suggest getting a SunPass.

The rental cars from PC tend to have a SunPass built in. Just ask how to activate it when you rent the car. There is usually a 2.50 or 3.00 fee plus the tolls.

Did the exact thing you have I mind in Feb this year as well as Feb 2012. I self debark cruise, rant a car from Budget, was at MCO by 9, passed security and having breakfast at 9:45, flight departed at 10:30. It can be done, and for me with a party of 8 taking the earlier flight saved us a total of $720.