Just Back: Viking Hlin, Danube, Nuremburg to Budapest

bfred

Wow, this is so helpful, thank you for taking the time to post. We are on the Gullveig, same itinerary sailing Nov25. We are planning to pack 4-5 days of clothing and do laundry. We were told there is a guest laundry on the ship. Did yours have one? I don't want to end up paying the fortune they charge to do laundry.

There is no guest laundry on Viking.

I remember thinking charges were reasonable but not cheap. Don't remember prices.

Two alternatives. One. If you are in a suite, they do laundry for you for free. Two. There is a convenience draw string in shower to hang up clothes if you want to wash them yourself.

There is no guest laundry on Viking.

I remember thinking charges were reasonable but not cheap. Don't remember prices.

Two alternatives. One. If you are in a suite, they do laundry for you for free. Two. There is a convenience draw string in shower to hang up clothes if you want to wash them yourself.

To the person who asked....laundry prices are in the FAQ on My Viking. Made me decide to use that drawstring, lol.

Although this thread is from 2014, it's still an interesting report.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice review.

Can't agree more. I remember reading about six couples going on a river cruise and hoping there would be tables for 12. My opinion was, man, you're going to be missing out on so much. But, different strokes . . .

Agreed. We LOVE travelling with others, especially from Australia and New Zealand. Such a fun bunch. Living life to the fullest! We had been on a Cosmos land tour (owned by Globus) and met a bunch of folks from Australia, New Zealand and Great Britain. What a great time. So we were delighted walking onto the Avalon Impression and seeing there were 11 Americans, 22 Brits, some New Zealanders and a ton of Aussies! Great company!

The "sun deck" was closed for low bridges on the Avalon Impression also. However, it's a split level deck so you could still sit up top, forward, even for low bridges! Do you have that opportunity on Viking?

Viking has a forward open deck at a lower level that is open, even when the upper deck is closed due to low bridges.

• 3 weeks later...

Our first river cruise will be in July of 2018 aboard the Viking Embla where we are doing the Budapest to Amsterdam voyage. It is helpful for us to read all the reviews about this new sailing method and we are learning some great tips to make our trip even better.

Thanks for doing the review.

All can say is go with an open-mind. You obviously have cruised before and have a good sense that things do not always go as expected. We really enjoyed the cruise AND the people we cruised with. It's an adventure, try not to overthink what will happen. Viking is a great cruise line, you will not be disappointed. If you want to venture off by yourself...no problem. We found the city tours a little boring and just wanted to get out of the bus & on our own. Enjoy each moment.

All can say is go with an open-mind. You obviously have cruised before and have a good sense that things do not always go as expected. We really enjoyed the cruise AND the people we cruised with. It's an adventure, try not to overthink what will happen. Viking is a great cruise line, you will not be disappointed. If you want to venture off by yourself...no problem. We found the city tours a little boring and just wanted to get out of the bus & on our own. Enjoy each moment.[/quote

Always good advice. We are thrilled to be going to these wonderful areas and the ride just makes it more special. We meet with our TA tomorrow who specializes in river cruises. Hope to get some good advice on excursion planning and other handy tips.