Can I do the Kenai Fjord tour in Seward the same day as boarding the cruise ?

uvasag

We will probably arrive the night before or in the morning of. We plan to arrive at Anchorage and rent a car. I have not decided if we should spend the night n Anchorage or not. It will depend on the kind of flights I get and how late we arrive in Anchorage. If we do decide to spend the night in Anchorage and leave in the morning we should be in Seward by 11:00 am I think. What time do we have to report to the cruise terminal ? I also have to figure out how far is Kenai Fjords from the rental company drop off and the port from the rental company drop off. Would I be cutting it too close ? We will have 2 kids aged 8 and 10 in our party so don't want it to be too hectic for them too.

It's not just daylight that I'm concerned about. It is also how tired we are going to be from our long flight. We fly from Detroit. If we are lucky we will have one stopover . Which just means we will be too tired to drive to Seward the same day and also too tired to appreciate the scenic drive.

Hertz, Kenai cruise berths, and the cruise pier are all clustered around the small boat harbor.

Hertz is kinda inbetween the kenai dock and the cruise pier. Google map Hertz, Seward, Alaska and you'll see how close it all is.

Edited by mapleleaves

My cruise sails from Seward at 9:00 pm . Can I do the Kenai Fjords tour the same day and still make it in time for the cruise or should I allow myself an extra day in Seward ?

Previously, you stated you were arriving days ahead? I would encourage you to add all the extra time you can. There is so much to see and do in Alaska, and distances are vast.

You can take an 11:30am boat tour, arriving the same day, and easily get on a cruise ship.

Yes I was planning on doing Denali but then changed my mind. I'm not sure if after a long flight from Detroit, we will be able to do the long Denali bus trip and then the drive back from Denali to Seward. I'm still in two minds though.

I haven't done this, so I am no expert. BUT... we are going to explore the Kenai peninsula before our Whittier departure. It looks like a great taste of Alaska and it is on the way from Anchorage to Seward. I invested in The milepost to help get around. It is a mile by mile guide to Alaskan highways. Check it out, it also references some great web sites.

Vic