Good hotels near Port of Galveston

Animal Farm

Any recommendations on good, but reasonably priced, hotels either on Galveston or Southeastern Houston? Not sailing until 30 May 15 but we're wanting to book our hotel early. Thanks

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
edited thread title due to OP's 2nd post in thread

Main areas to stay

On the Gulf of Mexico (Seawall Blvd)(many motels and hotels)

On the Bay (Moody Gardens Hotel) (Inn at Waterpark)

Downtown Old Town Historic Strand District which is by Port –

............Only 2 (Harbor House and Tremont)

Others on highway coming onto Island(few)

----------------------

see INTERNET maps to get bearings of island

courtesy of galveston.com ....interact and discover.... maps

pdficon.gif Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Here (PDF 936KB)

pdficon.gif Houston Map PDF

Download Here (PDF 64.9KB)

In my opinion

San Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens, Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House

are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones obviously!

Try these for more reasonable pricing?

Country Inn

Gaidos

Commodore

Galveston Beach Hotel

Holiday Inn Resort

Inn at Waterpark

La Quinta's (2)

Baymont

Super 8

Quality

Comfort Inn

Hampton

Best Western

Choice

Marriott

Beachfront

and others

Edited by ssb

If you can get a room, I'd stay at the Harbor House. It's right on the pier and if you request a "harbor view" room you will see the ship as it comes in that morning. The rooms are nice, and there is free breakfast.

If you can get a room, I'd stay at the Harbor House. It's right on the pier and if you request a "harbor view" room you will see the ship as it comes in that morning. The rooms are nice, and there is free breakfast.

Recently the hotel was 100% renovated also.

I've stayed at:

Tremont-excellent historically preserved, elegant hotel that gives you a feel of Galveston before the Great storm-but expensive-no pool is a negative for me. They do have an interesting porch at the top though

Galvez-excellent resort style-great pool-great location but expensive

Holiday Inn Resort hits a lot of things I'm looking for in a little bit cheaper alternative-great location right on seawall, nice pool overlooking the beach, comfortable rooms but its really more of a motel in that its corridors are open air. Free Parking. Has a fun little Nite Club that actually is pretty happening at nite.

All 3 have Park/Shuttle free Parking alternative but you have to stay 2 nites generally-I've always been able to book Holiday Inn Park/Cruise deal for 1 nite but only after checking numerous times-they sometimes drop the 2 nite requirement late. Galveston Hotel prices are generally ridiculously high in comparison to Miami, San Juan etc and the quality is generally not as high except for Tremont, San Luis Galvez and Moody Gardens(not in my favorite location). They've got you "over an Island" so to speak and the great Houston hotels are an hour + traffic away. There a bunch of average to below average hotels that somehow get $200-250 plus due to lack of decent hotel alternatives.

Quite frankly there are numerous outstanding luxury 4 and 5 star hotels in Houston you can get for as much as half the price but once you pass downtown there is not many good alternatives until you get to Clear Lake(the home of NASA)-about 25 minutes for Galveston. (ex you can get the Houston 4Four Seasons for less than a run down 2 star in Galveston). I'd look at Clear Lake if you couldn't find a reasonably priced Galveston hotel and don't like the Houston option. Then you could just get your own parking at the port. My son absolutely loved his visit to the NASA museum when he was young. Clear Lake is an interesting little community on a huge lake. They've now built the Kemah boardwalk that has attracted a lot of tourists and Hotels

In college I stayed at the Commodore but it was definitely a budget hotel-nothing special and I think its pretty much the same now

Edited by Stallion