People thinking cheap means trashy if you go on a carnival cruise

ckhappy

I've sailed on RC, Princess, NCL, MSC, and Carnival. Except for NCL, I which required going to an upcharge restaurant to get a decent meal, I enjoyed them all.

It's price and itinerary for us. Right now, Carnival goes where we want for the best prices. We didn't find our cruise to be "trashy" at all, the ship was beautiful, food was great, and we had a wonderful time!

Who cares what other people think. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by VASOXFANN

Where I work there are other employees who cannot afford their blood pressure medicine.

Or dental care.

Or a car.

So, it is all relative.

Compared to what many people deal with Carnival is the ultimate in luxury.

And many Carnival passengers worked hard for every penny they spent on their cruise.

Does that make them trash?

Not to me.

Trashy people are those who are rude.

Or puke in the hallway and walk away from it.

Or other disgusting things that show they had no home training.

For years I heard so much Carnival bashing that I never looked into any of the cruises.

This past winter, out of desperation to get out of NY in the cold, my sister and I looked into Carnival..one night on a fluke..

Prices were excellent. NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS for almost all the ones posted. RCL prices from Bayonne were high in comparison.

We figured we'd try it and if it were that horrible, we'd never go again.

Lo and behold, we had a blast and in October I'll be doing my 4th Carnival on Splendor since February. (2/13-3/17-5/28 and 10-24) Met someone on the 3/17 cruise and we cruised together on the 5/28!

I did 3 RCL's within 6 weeks back in 2005 but never had as much fun as the Carnival ones!

8 days to the Caribbean for $615 ( as a single) plus free air home from San Juan (using my United miles) doesn't get any better for me.

I've met classy AND trashy on just about every cruise I've been on....

Timex or Rolex....the time of day is still the same!!

Rolls Royce or Chevy...they still get you to where you need to be!!

Edited by sgttami

For years I heard so much Carnival bashing that I never looked into any of the cruises.

This past winter, out of desperation to get out of NY in the cold, my sister and I looked into Carnival..one night on a fluke..

Prices were excellent. NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS for almost all the ones posted. RCL prices from Bayonne were high in comparison.

Lo and behold, we had a blast and in October I'll be doing my 4th Carnival on Splendor since February. (2/13-3/17-5/28 and 10-24) Met someone on the 3/17 cruise and we cruised together on the 5/28!

I did 3 RCL's within 6 weeks back in 2005 but never had as much fun as the Carnival ones!

8 days to the Caribbean for $615 ( as a single) plus free air home from San Juan (using my United miles) doesn't get any better for me.

Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies.

We are spending the extra money for the Grand Suite on Carnival, because the Paradise is an older ship that doesn't have any balconies unless you are in a suite.. and the smaller suites that were left have obstructions...you asked and I quote....

"why people choose to take a budget friendly line and then spend high end prices for a "suite"???."

I have been on longer cruises where we could get a cabin with a balcony and it not be a suite, but I am not a big traveler, so I treat myself when I do travel.. (to me there is no place like home)..I didn't really want to go on a 7 day cruise this trip, (Sept 11 Carnival Paradise) and the shorter cruises unfortunately are only available on the older ships that don't have balconies. I need to be able to get out for fresh air in my cabin.. it is the same reason I like hotels where you can open a window if there are no balconies... sooo that is the main reason we booked the "Grand Suite" and paid more without having that many extra perks,..BUT having more room in our cabin with the larger balcony, is more then enough extra perks for me, because one of my favorite things to do on a cruise..... is read outside on the balcony, feel the breeze and look at the ocean in my own space when I want to get away from it all!! :) I hope that answered your question... :) :)

I just love that Paradise and it was my first Carnival cruise..years ago made a friend here who then loved the Fantasy class Cat 12 I think..anyway top suites...those are such private special balconies..if you can afford it and want it for whatever reason, do it, is my motto. I think you can have a little more leeway maybe requesting full hot meal on meal times there..NOT sure on that anymore...

I think they are amoungst the most private nice balconies on all of Carnival..and if that is your perfect idea of cruising... perfecto!!

Also they have the Chef's Table for a fancier dinner if you wish at less than other lines doing same thing....and a ship tour on fantasy class is most affordable of all...just saying this for anyone reading...:o:). bon voyage...

Edited by sjn911

I don't understand why people care so much what other people think. I'm not trying to impress anyone so I could care less if someone doesn't like Carnival. For the record, a vacation is a vacation and I don't know anyone who would turn up their nose ANY cruise.

Great post! :)

I love Carnival and I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I also have sailed RC and NCL as well and like them too. I will travel what suits me but not going to overpay to go on the others. The only exception is that I would like to try Disney, but it will most like be a one time deal. Carnival has a great product and awesome prices in my opinion and I will continue to sail them as long as that is the case.

I think that Tapi is right on the spot with his/her comment. There are things that do make a difference between a luxury line and a budget line. There are times when we choose to stay in a 5 star hotel and there are times when a Holiday Inn Express is ok. Carnival offers a much different experience than a luxury cruise line and it's ok and shouldn't be looked down upon. No need to defend the it. There's a time and place for both types of experiences in our lives. That's part of the reason I won't pay for Carnival's high end suites at their rack or "discounted" rates. Why spend extra money on a product that that is not substantially different than most of their balcony rooms and don't offer many extra perks? I would love to learn why people choose to take a budget friendly line and then spend high end prices for a "suite".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd be happy to share our thoughts on why we cruise on a budget line and book suites. We cruise in a large group--2-3, families with 4-8 rooms booked. The parents of the "kids" ( which by the way are mostly grown starting their own families) book suites together so we can open the balconies and have 3-4 balconies connected!! Everyone meets in our suites, and parties in our suites & large balcony. We hang out together and have a blast!!!

We would pay double on RCCL, HAL, or any other line for that space the we use. We don't need white glove service, a butler, or in room dining. We do love the connected balconies and the larger room and bathroom.

So instead of thinking why we would waste money on a budget line...we think we are paying for exactly what we want!

Edited by momof4boys

I have cruised carnival each time and I got frustrated because I couldn't get help contacting an excursion operated through carnival. So in my snobbish voice I said forget it and booked on NCL. I paid a couple hundred more for the next cruise w the same ports. I was only looking for a little justification for the price difference. ANYTHING to prove I was validated for spending more of my hard earned money... Didn't really find it ... I'm going back to carnival...I don't feel like I'm slumming.. I feel brilliant... Extra money in my pocket and no loss of service!

And two weeks after I booked w NCL a really good customer service guy got my contact info and the small issue was solved by the excursion operator.. He got paid correctly and I was satisfied!

When we went on HAL I was horrified at the way some of the blue hairs spoke to the staff.

Bill

In my experience with some older folks that's the way they speak with anyone they encounter not just on a ship.

As some people age, their filter becomes more porous. :eek:

As some people age, their filter becomes more porous. :eek:

They always had a predisposition to be that way. As they get old they just don't care anymore and let 'er rip. They've earned it. :)

I've sailed on RC, Princess, NCL, MSC, and Carnival. Except for NCL, I which required going to an upcharge restaurant to get a decent meal, I enjoyed them all.

It's price and itinerary for us. Right now, Carnival goes where we want for the best prices. We didn't find our cruise to be "trashy" at all, the ship was beautiful, food was great, and we had a wonderful time!

Who cares what other people think. Enjoy your cruise!

I totally agree!

Except for MSC, we've sailed the same cruise lines as you...plus, we've sailed on Costa too. We've never had a bad cruise...EVER! We've especially loved every single one of our Carnival cruises. We just did a 3-dayer on Carnival and even though we had heard that short cruises are "supposed" to be notoriously vulgar...our family didn't buy into that and we all had an amazing time! Our group was made up of the DH, DS, the DS's girlfriend and one of his BFFs (all kids were 19), and myself (definitely NOT 19...LOL!). I don't abuse anyone in anyway...and I'm 67 years old! I don't speak badly or rudely of or to anyone...ever. So don't be dis'n us oldies but goodies! The only time the DH and I "let it rip"...is on the dance floor! :)

We had such a great time that we all agreed that we want our same little group to do it again next summer! ;)

Our family and those who have cruised with us, think Carnival "Rocks"; and we don't believe for a minute that they are any less nice than any of the other cruise lines we've traveled on! :D By the way, our Princess cruise to Europe was a very "upscale" cruise and we still would rather cruise the FUN ships! Just say'n.

Edited by mousey

They always had a predisposition to be that way. As they get old they just don't care anymore and let 'er rip. They've earned it. :)

Uh what? :eek:

I'm 67 and I don't speak rudely to anyone. The only time the DH and I "let 'er rip" is when we're on the dance floor! So don't be dis'n us oldies but goodies! LOL! :)

If you young ones are lucky...you too will be oldies someday. ;)

Edited by mousey

At the risk and almost certainly havering my words twisted to meet someone else's motivation .. Carnival is the low budget line on the seas and yes they attract a low budget crowd . That does not mean that the avg cruiser is bad or somehow less than someone else it's just a different social economic set. That's not saying that all / most poor or living pay check to paycheck it just where most people are in there life.

To say people who cruise ccl , x or seabourn are better or worse , class or no class , snooty or fun lovin. Is well in my option ridiculous

Different people tend to hand with like minded people in the pursuit of fun

I agree with most of what you said but my family is hardly "low budget"! We live in one of the most affluent areas of California...think of one of the most famous beaches in the US...that's where we live. And, our last 5 cruises have been on Carnival. We can cruise on any cruise line we want...we choose Carnival because after traveling on many other lines, with Carnival we get the best bang for our buck and Carnival sails to the same ports as most other lines do and for way less money. We enjoy the Fun ships...precisely because they are FUN! We have always gotten great service and have met many wonderful people on our Carnival cruises.

There are lots of people who cruise on Carnival who are not part of a "low budget crowd", which is what people tend to say, erroneously, I think (JMHO). I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life and from all different financial groups. I think it's great that people who can't afford other cruise lines have a chance to cruise on a line that offers them all that Carnival does; at some of the lowest fares in the business. In my opinion, they are not missing a thing by cruising with Carnival and are, in fact, getting a great deal and great FUN for their hard-earned money.

Geez! I just realized that I've posted here three times! It just shows what a night of insomnia will one to do. LOL!

Edited by mousey

I asked the question about why people choose a suite and I really appreciate the responses. This has been an interesting thread. After my first cruise on Carnival in 2008 with a family reunion group I said I would never go on another carnival cruise again. It wasn't trashy, it was that I was frustrated with the way the company managed the ships move to Mobile rather than NOLA due to an oil spill *and* the way I witnessed multiple passengers treating a Muslim family during various parts of the cruise. For example, the mother of the family was wearing a full body covering swim outfit while using the pool (making her probably one of the cleanest bodies in the water!) but people around the pool rudely talked about her and complained to staff about her "wearing clothes" in the pool. This was due to a lack of education and tact. I've travelled a lot and stay in high end properties/resorts and I've never seen that kind of behavior. So, at the time, Iknow that it's not an exclusively Carnival issue. It could happen in a variety of places, with a variety of people. The thing is though, if Carnival is attracting people who *don't typically* travel out of the country and don't live in diverse areas then this type of behavior *may* be more evident. Maybe what I experienced in 2008 was because of the distinct population of the ship and it would have been different cruising out of Miami or New York or PR? Maybe it was post 9-11 backlash? Anyway,my family is going on another Carnival cruise in 2 weeks out of NOLA. So far my interaction with the company pre-trip has not been stellar. I'll see how things go on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being discerning with how you spend your money does not make you cheap or trashy. Low rates may make cruises more accessible to those who may stretch, but it's ultimately how people value their dollar that defines the mix of passengers.