Cell service in bermuda ?

luv2travel29

I have Verizon as well, am not a techie, heck, some people would probably call me a relic, and I have elderly parents, one blind, that I take care of at home, so I did need to call to check in. Went to the Verizon store to enable roaming and international dialing and ended up calling home twice - once from our balcony while docked in Bermuda, once from the middle of the Atlantic somewhere. I think it should be $2.50 a minute although I haven't gotten my bill yet. There may also be a charge for enabling roaming and international dialing from Verizon. You can remove the international dialing and roaming when you get home. I have my parents on speed dial and that's all I hit to call home.

For T-Mobile:

I was surprised that Bermuda is within my T-Mobile plan for data and texting. Calls have a roaming charge, but it’s pretty low. Here’s how you can allow international roaming for data, but not accidentally expose yourself to surcharges.

WARNING! Please verify any advice I give you with your phone carrier. Do not assume what worked for me will work for you!

1. Go to your T-Mobile account online and go to your profile. Click on “Blocking.”
  2. Turn on “Block charged international data roaming.”
  3. Turn on your phone’s “Data roaming” option. For Android, it should be under “Mobile networks.” It will give you a scary prompt about extra charges. If you did the above block on your account, you can ignore this warning and should be fine.

My_T_Mobile_Profile.jpg[

Click to enlarge

I'm going to the store in the next couple of days to look into a $10 flip Tracfone or something similar with prepaid minutes. Just need to make sure it works in Bermuda. Only need it for emergencies and my daughters friend to ck in with her family once or twice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm going to the store in the next couple of days to look into a $10 flip Tracfone or something similar with prepaid minutes. Just need to make sure it works in Bermuda. Only need it for emergencies and my daughters friend to ck in with her family once or twice.

Check very carefully. Have to doubt that a $10 trac fone, which is designed only for US use, will work in Bermuda.

There's free wifi at the Public Library in Hamilton. (I sat right outside on a bench.) I used WhatsApp and was able to text and send voice texts quickly & easily...free. Not a phone conversation, but real-time communication with no charges.

You may find the $1.99 per min. ship to shore charge from the phone in your stateroom cheaper .

Check very carefully. Have to doubt that a $10 trac fone, which is designed only for US use, will work in Bermuda.

Looks like you're right. Really didn't look into anything before today. Was just gonna talk to someone in the store. Just googled it and looks like tracfone is just in the US. Was planning on buying the wifi in Bermuda at the dock anyway so looks like an app might be the way to go.

Edited by Amo57

No, they are not that stupid.

By the way, a few years back, you could buy cheap tracfone and use it on the ship. They were not able to block the calls. They eventually figured that out.

No, they are not that stupid.

By the way, a few years back, you could buy cheap tracfone and use it on the ship. They were not able to block the calls. They eventually figured that out.

Didn't think anyone was stupid, just figured even if they charged more than the normal 1 unit per minute for international calls it would be cheaper than the ship or cell phone. No big deal, i am fine with the fact that my office can't get in touch with me :D I've had enough vacation interruptions and look forward to one without any. My parents and in laws will be with us so i have nobody expecting to hear from me. Like i said , I'll have someone else's kid with me and I'm sure her parents will want to hear from her so wifi in Bermuda along with a phone calling app will do. I also heard you can use the concierge app to make calls for .69 per minute. Don't know if thats correct or not but thats not terrible if its right.