Did the Adonia have to turn back tonight?

NauticalMiss

As at 3 mins ago (BST) as I write Adonia was sailing AWAY from Soton and just off Bembridge I oW.

Info Received: 3 min ago (2014-08-08 19:12)

Area: English Channel

Latitude / Longitude: 50.66415 / -0.9250166

Speed/Course: 14.7kn / 124°

AIS Source: 113 G4EMM

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am able to access a complete plot of her positions for the last 24 hours, and can see every fix since last night when she was inbound and see no indication that she turned back.

She appeared to arrive at around 0630 UT this morning (0730 church clock time) and she left at 1645 UT this afternoon went up harbour a little to make her turn and was on her way by 1700 UT.

Since then, position reports made approximately every minute show she has made a steady progress and there has been no indication that she either turned back or slowed down.

We were on the shore line at Wootton Bridge (IOW) this evening watching the ships go out into the Solent. The sky was very grey and the rain was starting to get heavier, so visibility was a problem. The first ship out (the Adonia I think) appeared to turn around. We thought it was going west via The Needles but visibility and rain caused us to retreat indoors, so we couldn't establish exactly what her direction was. Approx 7:30pm-ish, it re-appeared in The Solent heading east, but due to visibility being poor we can't be certain. Any which way, we 'saw' 5 cruise ships departing this evening. Just wondered if anyone could shed light on why it departed Southampton Water into The Solent twice in one evening.

Incidentally, the Red Arrows gave a fabulous show tonight despite the rain.

We were on the shore line at Wootton Bridge (IOW) this evening watching the ships go out into the Solent.... We thought it was going west via The Needles but visibility and rain caused us to retreat indoors, so we couldn't establish exactly what her direction was. Approx 7:30pm-ish, it re-appeared in The Solent heading east, but due to visibility being poor we can't be certain.

All is now clear. Your eyes did not deceive you, but it was two hours not three. She left Southampton at 16.45 UT which at 17.45 by your watch.

There is a large sandbank in the Solent (known as Bramble Bank on which they play cricket once a year).

All commercial vessels pass to the East of the Isle of Wight and don't go down to the Needles Channel. They do however pass to the West of Bramble Bank

Viewed from Wootton, vessels leaving Southampton will be seen to turn to the west as they pass Calshot Spit buoy onto a course of something like 220 and will disappear behind the headland to pass to the west of Bramble Bank buoy.

However once behind the headland and past Bramble Bank WCM buoy, and north of Cowes, they make a sweep back to East to pass to the north of Gurnard and Prince Consort NCM buoys after which, to an observer at Wootton, they will reappear going from left to right on a course of something like 110.

So what you saw was normal.

Your eyes did not deceive you, but she had not turned back.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so click on this link for a diagram which probably makes it much clearer than my words.

http://www.sailingalmanac.com/Almanac/Navigation/solentlarge.html

Edited by Corfe Mixture
repair to link

Corfe Mixture, I am indebted to you. I have heard of Bramble Bank (and the cricket) so this makes perfect sense. As we had to leave the shoreline due to the inclement weather, we could not determine her ultimate course of direction. You have been most helpful (and informative).

Great picture! I have sailed round the Brambles when it has been almost dry. Got it wrong once too and we went aground in our boat!

I was on board ship once when some know all insisted on telling everyone that we were going down to the Needles. I knew we weren't, but decided not to say anything. It was quite funny when we made the big turn, went back past Cowes and out past Bembridge. hee hee

Edited by jeanlyon

Great picture! I have sailed round the Brambles when it has been almost dry. Got it wrong once too and we went aground in our boat!

Easily done which is why navigating to a mark in North Channel is often used for the zero visibilty (well 50 yard) blind navigation Yachtmaster examination

I was on board ship once when some know all insisted on telling everyone that we were going down to the Needles. I knew we weren't, but decided not to say anything. It was quite funny when we made the big turn, went back past Cowes and out past Bembridge. hee hee

Doesn't surprise me. You would be surprised how many times, as we pass through the entrance to Poole harbour, on the Poole to Cherbourg ferry, I see 'knowledgeable' fathers pointing to Shell Beach / Studland bay and telling excited young children that it is the Isle of Wight.

Never say anything but must confess I hang around and smile to myself when a few minutes later the father then points to Old Harry and tells them it is the Needles.

We sailed to the med on Adonia about two or three years ago in late summer, (poss the first year she was with P&O), and we sailed out past the needles. It was a lovely evening with calm seas and the sun shining so the needles looked very impressive. This was especially so when looking back towards them after we had left The Solent as the sun was directly on that side of cliffs and the array of colours could be seen.

I accept that it is not usual for ships, (possibly even Adonia), to go that way and it does not seem to be the case in this instance, but it does prove that the smaller ships can go that way at times, even if it is very unusual. It may even have been a one off though.

Edited by tring