Laffnvegas and others have piqued my curiosity.....

sail7seas

Late to the conversation....Of course you should go. Why not !

We alternate between cruise lines depending on itinerary, ship, price, etc. NCL has it's good features and it's not so good features.....just like HAL.

Have fun.

Just a thought, Judy. we love the aft cabins on any of the HAL ships we've been on. We don't find any more motion there or any disadvantage to being aft. In fact, we're closer to all the food venues when we're aft. I don't know NCL's layout, but I wouldn't be put off by an aft suite.

Then there really is little choice as I'd certainly be very alone in a two bedroom suite. That doesn't sound cozy and calming to keep looking at an empty bedroom. Sigh........

I certainly cannot/would not share with anyone. I must have my own space and privacy especially for the first cruises I attempt.

Seems I'd best think twice and remain with HAL. HAL offers me what I like the way I like it. If I can't have that elsewhere, I shouldn't be going elsewhere,,,,,,,, maybe?

Don't feel that way. Whatever ship you go on, I am sure you will find a cabin that will suit you. Just have to do a little checking as a new line is not as familiar to you as a HAL ship.

This trip is more about getting away with friends more than the trip itself (although the trip is important too)

Just a thought, Judy. we love the aft cabins on any of the HAL ships we've been on. We don't find any more motion there or any disadvantage to being aft. In fact, we're closer to all the food venues when we're aft. I don't know NCL's layout, but I wouldn't be put off by an aft suite.

Carol, I agree, that I think the absolutely best Suite would be those on the aft. The NCL ships to me ride so much better than all of the HAL ships. Not sure what it is but there is just no vibrations at all like HAL ships and no movement especially in the aft. The distance on the aft to the aft elevators is not far or to midship to go up to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch. Tried to attach the pictures but something from CC about a security token missing :confused: Weird!!

OK try this link, the first 7 photos are from the NCL jewel same cabin but it is a different class ship but the cabins are really identical except for decor. But the bathrooms and dressing area are identical. After the first 7 these are all photos from category SF on the NCL Dawn.

http://s75.photobucket.com/user/laffnvegas/library/?sort=3&page=1

This struck me so profoundly, I wasn't able at first to comment.

I know exactly what you are saying and it is a good point. It is inevitable many will innocently ask me where is "DH". That could be overwhelming to me.

My dad suddenly and right in the middle of the summer when a lot of people are away. So there were a lot of people who didn't find out til weeks or months later.

It was always tough on my mom if we were out someplace and run into someone who would ask where he was. Or they just found out and would call her. Having to tell it all over again When did it happen? What happened? " I just saw him 2 weeks ago he looked so good."

You have probably had or will have this happen to you already at home, on a cruise it would be even more upsetting especially knowing so many people on a HAL ship.

So many very helpful posts. This is a great group to take the time to try and help me with NCL information. I 'know' so many here but likely not many on the NCL Forum so my apologies to those here on HAL that are annoyed with a discussion about NCL. It is so helpful to me that I ask your forebearance and patience. :o

My friends are taking a large suite as they always do and I certainly want to be able to breakfast/dine with them a lot of the time but probably not all. Even if it weren't for that, I'd still want a comfortable room and always a balcony.

I don't want to be right next door to our friends as it always works best when friends have their privacy, IMO A few doors away or even a dozen is just fine. When I see just where their suite will be, I will be better able to see what appeals to me. Not to mention, I will want to look at pricing. :eek: :)

When Melodie mentioned two bedroom suite, I admit to becoming anxious that would be my only choice and that is impossible for me to book. I'd be permanently unhappy and depressed the whole cruise in such a cabin. Then the idea of 'sharing' was way out of my my 'world'.

Now that I read there are far more viable choices, I'm encouraged. I have not yet studied deck plans as truthfully I am still not positive which ship. I think they said Dawn but I an unclear about any details.

I am remaining open to the idea and will take it a step at a time as my friends share the info with me.

Please know how appreciative I am for the kind words and help in this thread. It is really very helpful for me in so many ways. :)

My apologies to those who rightfully are thinking this doesn't belong here.

BUT hopefully WHEN I post a detailed comparison thread it will be worth it. For such a Loyal HAL Mariner to think of sailing another line (probably just that once) might make for a view that even I might not expect. I promise to be as honest ands unbiased as possible. :D

Sail, I have a very dear friend that went on her first cruise without her DH, and I saw how difficult it was for her. You need to go where you feel comfortable, welcomed and familiar with your surroundings. My friend said that it was very difficult for her, but she said that once the cruise was over, she knew that she could go on and enjoy future cruises with friends. You do what is best for you, and eventually you may choose other cruise lines, but until then, do what you feel comfortable with.

Don't feel that way. Whatever ship you go on, I am sure you will find a cabin that will suit you. Just have to do a little checking as a new line is not as familiar to you as a HAL ship.

This trip is more about getting away with friends more than the trip itself (although the trip is important too)

My dad suddenly and right in the middle of the summer when a lot of people are away. So there were a lot of people who didn't find out til weeks or months later.

It was always tough on my mom if we were out someplace and run into someone who would ask where he was. Or they just found out and would call her. Having to tell it all over again When did it happen? What happened? " I just saw him 2 weeks ago he looked so good."

You have probably had or will have this happen to you already at home, on a cruise it would be even more upsetting especially knowing so many people on a HAL ship.

Babyher,

Thank you. As always your posts are so welcome.

For me, it's on the one hand, I'd be among so many friends on HAL.....

On the other hand, so many friends would be looking at me and seeing my dear, dear DH beside me but he wont be there.

Carol, I agree, that I think the absolutely best Suite would be those on the aft. The NCL ships to me ride so much better than all of the HAL ships. Not sure what it is but there is just no vibrations at all like HAL ships and no movement especially in the aft. The distance on the aft to the aft elevators is not far or to midship to go up to Cagneys for breakfast and lunch. Tried to attach the pictures but something from CC about a security token missing :confused: Weird!!

OK try this link, the first 7 photos are from the NCL jewel same cabin but it is a different class ship but the cabins are really identical except for decor. But the bathrooms and dressing area are identical. After the first 7 these are all photos from category SF on the NCL Dawn.

http://s75.photobucket.com/user/laffnvegas/library/?sort=3&page=1

Thanks for the link to photos. Is the furniture really as unattractive as it appears or does it look better in 'real life'? :D The table where your DH is sitting looks awful. :D

The only time we sailed in an aft cabin was the Owners/Presidential/Grand Suite (whatever they called it) on the then new Ocean Princess which is now with P&O, I think. The two room suite was beautiful and I loved the room but we hated the location. I'm not an aft view lover but more than that, the room shook when they used thrusters and if they dropped the aft anchor, we fell out of bed. The noise and vibration were severe and we never thought of staying aft again. Does anything like that happen inn the suites you suggest?

Sail, I have a very dear friend that went on her first cruise without her DH, and I saw how difficult it was for her. You need to go where you feel comfortable, welcomed and familiar with your surroundings. My friend said that it was very difficult for her, but she said that once the cruise was over, she knew that she could go on and enjoy future cruises with friends. You do what is best for you, and eventually you may choose other cruise lines, but until then, do what you feel comfortable with.

My personal experience was that doing the same thing, after being widowed, is a recipe for failure. After my husband died, it took me three years to be able to once again enjoy some of the activities and locales he and I enjoyed together.

Personally, Sail, I think your first foray into the world of travel as a solo should be something that is not a cruise. Once you've been successful with that, and have identified any "triggers" for a meltdown, consider a cruise on a different line.

And always have an "exit strategy" for the first couple of years. Always have a plan in the back of your mind for getting back to the safety and security of your home. That need to be "safe" is not rational, but it is real.

All of that is JMHO, based on my experience.

If you do decide to try NCL, you need to discuss your cabin selection with someone who is more knowledgeable about NCL than most of the posters on the HAL board.

Babyher,

Thank you. As always your posts are so welcome.

For me, it's on the one hand, I'd be among so many friends on HAL.....

On the other hand, so many friends would be looking at me and seeing my dear, dear DH beside me but he wont be there.

And it will be like that for quite a while. It will just be odd that he isn't "there"

You will adjust to it a little faster because it is an everyday thing for you. For people who saw him every few weeks or months , it will take a little longer

Sail, first I will address the aft on NCL. That is why i mentioned there just is no movement or vibration. I cannot exactly say that for a HAL ship on the aft :o We have been on the aft of 4 NCL cruises now and each time are totally amazed at how quiet, and smooth the ride is on their ships. Even my friend that works for HAL that knows the NCL ships admits that the NCL ships are actually built much better. There is just no comparison to HAL and I am sure even more so than that of the old Princess ship you were once on.

OK decor of NCL:D..... sadly I must admit the Star and the Dawn and the 4 Jewel class ships in the categories below Haven tend to look a bit like a College dorm room from the 70's. Now you know I have been on my good share of HAL suites. Oddly after the first day the decor just does not seem to be a factor. I will say that I love having what looks like a Card table in the room. It serves as a desk a breakfast table. I think placing anything in there that looks a bit nicer may take up too much room. The new ships like the Getaway and Breakaway the decor is far more elegant in the SF category suites. That is partly why I suggested sharing the Villa. The two bedrooms which are actually suites in a suite are each about 400 sq ft so it is basically having a cabin within a private suite area. But it also would be a totally crazy price for three people. It truly is great for 3 couples splitting the price. It usually runs about $9000 per person for first and 2nd pax then each person after that is just $599. They sell them as a Suite with in a Suite.

I do truly think that the category SF would be the perfect size for you and you would still have all of the Suite perks which are absolutely wonderful on NCL.

LLisa,

Seeing we aren't two couples let alone three couples and that I have to have a private space of my own, we have to forget the Villa. It bears no reality in the circumstance of one couple and a solo. Not many would make such a booking, would they?

As to the SF, that could work. I'm glad to have seen the photos so have a realistic image of the decorating. Thanks for the link to the photos.

It is encouraging to hear I wouldn't have anchor and thruster noises and vibrations. As to the view, it doesn't matter. I've been to all these ports so many times, I don't need 'view'. Any balcony is all I need and whatever it looks at/looks like will be fine..... though I do like early morning watching us enter port, see the guys throw lines and get us docked. :) It isn't mandatory though and I'll do fine without it. :)

The freestyle dining concept works fine for me in this circumstance though I always have traditional main upper on HAL. We likely will go to the alternative restaurants most of the time.

Too late to edit my previous post.

I swear to you, it will get better. It will. (The most valuable information I got after I was widowed -- from a dear friend who'd been widowed about 3 years before me.)

Good to hear things got better for you and I appreciate your advice. Only someone who has been there can know.

LLisa,

As to the SF, that could work. I'm glad to have seen the photos so have a realistic image of the decorating. Thanks for the link to the photos.

It is encouraging to hear I wouldn't have anchor and thruster noises and vibrations. As to the view, it doesn't matter. I've been to all these ports so many times, I don't need 'view'. Any balcony is all I need and whatever it looks at/looks like will be fine..... though I do like early morning watching us enter port, see the guys throw lines and get us docked. :) It isn't mandatory though and I'll do fine without it. :)

The freestyle dining concept works fine for me in this circumstance though I always have traditional main upper on HAL. We likely will go to the alternative restaurants most of the time.

Sail, that is the beauty of the aft, it is fun to watch coming into port and watching the guys get the mooring lines hooked up. You can watch from either side ;) You can sit out there in the morning with you freshly made coffee from the Espresso machine. Your Butler can bring you anything you want like Croissants. The one thing I find with NCL is that their breads/baked good are amazing. I can remember when we first sailing on HAL in 2003 and thought the breads were really good but not long after that they seemed to get boring and not nearly as good or have as much variety. NCL still has the most interesting and amazing breads and pastries. Not that I need it but it is sure good to splurge. They make these morning pastries with Poppy seed that remind me of what my grandmother would make. They have had some great fish dishes that I loved. My favorite so far that was the second to the last night in the main dining room was these Blue Crab Crab Cakes. But earlier in the week I had this salmon dish that had just a bit of soy with it that was so moist and flakey.

Sail, that is the beauty of the aft, it is fun to watch coming into port and watching the guys get the mooring lines hooked up. You can watch from either side ;) You can sit out there in the morning with you freshly made coffee from the Espresso machine. Your Butler can bring you anything you want like Croissants. The one thing I find with NCL is that their breads/baked good are amazing. I can remember when we first sailing on HAL in 2003 and thought the breads were really good but not long after that they seemed to get boring and not nearly as good or have as much variety. NCL still has the most interesting and amazing breads and pastries. Not that I need it but it is sure good to splurge. They make these morning pastries with Poppy seed that remind me of what my grandmother would make. They have had some great fish dishes that I loved. My favorite so far that was the second to the last night in the main dining room was these Blue Crab Crab Cakes. But earlier in the week I had this salmon dish that had just a bit of soy with it that was so moist and flakey.

NOW you are singing my song. :)

I'm a big fish eater and other than HAL's salmon (which I like :) ), I have been somewhat disappointed with their fish on recent cruises.

My personal experience was that doing the same thing, after being widowed, is a recipe for failure. After my husband died, it took me three years to be able to once again enjoy some of the activities and locales he and I enjoyed together.

Personally, Sail, I think your first foray into the world of travel as a solo should be something that is not a cruise. Once you've been successful with that, and have identified any "triggers" for a meltdown, consider a cruise on a different line.

And always have an "exit strategy" for the first couple of years. Always have a plan in the back of your mind for getting back to the safety and security of your home. That need to be "safe" is not rational, but it is real.

All of that is JMHO, based on my experience.

If you do decide to try NCL, you need to discuss your cabin selection with someone who is more knowledgeable about NCL than most of the posters on the HAL board.

Excellent advice. Hopefully heeded.

Thanks for the link to photos. Is the furniture really as unattractive as it appears or does it look better in 'real life'? :D The table where your DH is sitting looks awful. :D

The only time we sailed in an aft cabin was the Owners/Presidential/Grand Suite (whatever they called it) on the then new Ocean Princess which is now with P&O, I think. The two room suite was beautiful and I loved the room but we hated the location. I'm not an aft view lover but more than that, the room shook when they used thrusters and if they dropped the aft anchor, we fell out of bed. The noise and vibration were severe and we never thought of staying aft again. Does anything like that happen inn the suites you suggest?

Hi, All

I've been reading this thread with interest.

We've sailed HAL multiple times in a full suite. I sailed solo on my first NCL cruise on the Gem to Bermuda in an H3 Haven Suite. I needed some time away and the room steward and butler took wonderful care of me. The suite was huge for a solo, but I enjoyed the solitude and privacy. Both HAL and NCL are great... just different.

I loved the experience except for the furnishings. As Lisa stated, it is college dorm quality at best. In fact, my husband and I sailed on the NCL Pearl to Alaska after my solo Bermuda sailing and we still laugh about how bad the furniture is.

Sail, as long as you go with an open mind and a healing heart, this will be a wonderful first step.

Just don't look at the furniture...:D

B

Edited by bellebaby