Severe food allergies - does Carnival try to accommodate?

KimmyinLA

We will be doing b2b on the Freedom. Our 3 yo son has life threatening food allergies (multiple and not simple).

While we will try to pack most of his food, we obviously don't want him eating only processed items.

Does anyone know if there is someone we can work with to request and get a few simple foods. Ex chicken breast without any seasoning and no cross-contamination (meaning it can't be cooked in a pan or grill used for other foods). Also, we would just need some fruit but again, cross contamination would be a huge worry unless he only ate bananas.

And lastly, his options are very limited but he can have oatmeal (certified gf). Would they microwave it for us or is it poss to ask for a small microwave in our room?

His allergies are life-threatening. He's gone into anaphylactic shock several times. One of those times was cross-contamination (it really is just a tiny bit of protein from an allergen food).

This will be our first cruise with him and I am a bit nervous. Does anyone have any helpful advice on how to approach Carnival about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done several Chef's Tables and one time, the head chef told us they have 3 people in the galley that all they do is prepare food for people with allergies or religious needs. I have not read all the other comments, but wanted to let you know. Hopefully, that will make you feel more at ease. Also, you can e-mail the MD on the ship and tell him what your son's allergies are and what he needs to eat, that way, he will tell the head chef and the chef and his crew can be prepared for him. Enjoy your cruise.:D

Travel insurance is a must; however, most travel insurance for the medical portion has a clause where the medical condition must be stable and have had no relapses flare ups during a 90 day window prior to travelling. If your sons allergies are that severe and you can't guarantee he won't have a medical episode in the 90 day window, then you could have problems.

As for what the cruise line can do, yes MDR can accommodate his needs. Bananas are hot commodities and you'd be wise to grab enough bananas at the start of the cruise to last him through the entire cruise. The problem you may encounter is with Camp Carnival. The staff are trained and professional and will do their best, but you know kids and how they love to share. All it will take is one wrong food item being brought in with another child and let the sharing begin. At three years old a child doesn't know what he or she can or can't eat.

Your wise to call Special Needs and discuss with the food options for your child and see what can be done. If the cruise line can't do enough you may need to either cancel the cruise or make the decision to leave him with a trusted grandparent who can keep him safe. It's an option to think of. A week alone would not be too difficult.

The galley is set up for the 'normal' dietary restrictions- low salt, gluten free, no nuts, no shellfish, no dairy. It's when the restrictions are more involved then a contact is in order.

Thank for the helpful input. Sounds like we'll be able to get by. I will be sure to arrange notes before hand as well as meet the maître d at beginning of the cruise.

Strongly suggest you check what comes out as best you can.

I second Dave's advice. Others have made excellent suggestions too. I also think that you may find the information in this article helpful--just in case. Having good information beforehand could certainly help if something does go awry. Medical emergencies at sea can be very difficult.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/learn/coverages/medical-evacuation-costs.html

Have a great cruise. Hope all goes well for you.

Kimmy, when is your cruise? My daughter (age 7) sounds very similar to your son - allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, and corn. She's had 5 anaphylactic reactions, one being to a minuscule amount of milk protein found through lab testing in a slice of bread, so I understand your concerns. My husband and I have cruised lots, and we want to take our kids on a cruise so badly. I'm really interested to hear about your experience if you don't mind sharing with me.

KjMommy-- we're on the Sept 14 departure and Sept 22. Absolutely! What I've learned through this experience with my son is that it's tough to really understand the nuances unless you're directly dealing with a food allergy. So I'm more than happy to share what we experience. Fwiw, we will be packing as much as possible. I should just buy stock in Enjoy Life.

KjMommy-- we're on the Sept 14 departure and Sept 22. Absolutely! What I've learned through this experience with my son is that it's tough to really understand the nuances unless you're directly dealing with a food allergy. So I'm more than happy to share what we experience. Fwiw, we will be packing as much as possible. I should just buy stock in Enjoy Life.

I think a detailed review on the special needs forum would be fabulously helpful to others with food allergies.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

My daughter was allergic to dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, and legumes. For our cruise on Inspiration they were very thorough in coming over with the next nights menu and seeing what they could do for her for the next night. We did have a small hiccup but when there are 2000+ people onboard it is to be expected. Just be vigilant and notify the Matre'd as soon as you board. Good Luck.

Vwrestler, thank you for your post. That is pretty reassuring. As I'm sure you're aware already, there's still a big population out there who don't really understand the difference between an allergy and an intolerance or preference.