Should I book a guaranteed cabin on Norwegian Breakaway?

Andisaid

I am planning to cruise on the Breakaway in about two weeks and was thinking of booking either a mini suite guarantee or a balcony guarantee. I gave never before booked a guaranteed stateroom and of course the mini suite is more expensive. My question is, is it worth booking a guaranteed stateroom so close to sail date? Is there a better chance of getting an upgrade if I book just the balcony guarantee? And does booking through a site like ************ and not through NCL directly affect my chances of getting an upgrade? Any help is appreciated!!:)

for gty bookings, I do not think booking through a travel agent/website vs booking direct will have any bearing on what cabin one is assigned.

Is it worthit? Well what is the price difference between picking your own balcony and the balcony gty? sometimes the gty's are a much better price, other times there is little of no savings. I'd only book gty if there is substantial savings.

even if it is a significant savings, one should only book gty if one can be happy in any balcony cabin on the ship. One has to be flexible or a gty booking can backfire.

I can't answer on the last minute part, but we booked balcony guarantee for our upcoming cruise on the Getaway and were assigned a large balcony room that is just as big or bigger than some of the mini suites. Our balcony is larger and the mini suites bathroom appears to be larger. We are thrilled!

100% of the people booking a gty want an upgrade. Those that booked them first will get them first if there are any to be given out. It's usually been an upsell offer, not so many complimentary upgrades anymore.

It has not been my experience that booking gty early means one is more or less likely to get an upgrade? what is the basis for your statement?

I booked a BX guarantee for an August 23 Getaway sailing. When I got my cabin assignment I got a deck 10 balcony mid ship. Pretty good. Well I was checking the NCL website and I noticed the price went down a couple hundred dollars. I emailed my PCC to see if I could get some OBC. I know NCL's policy on price reductions after final so I wasn't expecting much. Maybe $30-$50 at most. Well I got an email this morning from my PCC telling me she got me upgraded for FREE to a Spa Mini Suite, a BX to a M9. I wouldn't expect this every time a guarantee is booked, but I was so happy and grateful it happened.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My friends and I booked an OX ocean view guarantee on the Breskaway and several weeks later decided to pay an extra $120 each ($360 total) to switch to a BX guarantee for a balcony. We were eventually assigned a midship port side balcony cabin on deck 8. I called a few days later to ask whether prices may have dropped, hoping we may be able to get above deck 8. After waiting for the NCL rep to get back to me, she returned to the phone to tell me they'd like to offer us a mid ship balcony mini suite and because I was in a hospital garage preparing to visit my 90 year old mother, I too quickly said "yes!" Late in the evening I went online to see the reviews of our mini suite on deck 9 and they stunk. The deck 8 balcony would probsbly have been better. I think if you like surprises a guarantee cabin is good because you don't know what you'll get. Some people are happy but some ar not.

In my opinion, the only bad room on any ship is the ship that sails without you, LOL. Every room has it's quirks some more than others, but let's be honest, your on a vacation, so what does all the other little things matter.

Last year, we were far forward on a Carnival ship, the seas were really rough and we rocked and rolled for the first 2 days, with every wave we heard the anchor hitting against a metal wall (I presume the encasement) it was less then pleasant but really loud, but it happens. I was not going to let it bother me, not to the point it ruins my vacation. Point of this is, life is all about how you view things not the actual things.

Pick the level category that you will be completely satisfied with if no upgrades are given.

Edited by CruzLover80

I am planning to cruise on the Breakaway in about two weeks and was thinking of booking either a mini suite guarantee or a balcony guarantee. I gave never before booked a guaranteed stateroom and of course the mini suite is more expensive. My question is, is it worth booking a guaranteed stateroom so close to sail date? Is there a better chance of getting an upgrade if I book just the balcony guarantee? And does booking through a site like ************ and not through NCL directly affect my chances of getting an upgrade? Any help is appreciated!!:)

Did you book yet? Which way did you go and what did you end up with? In my real life I have to decide so many things each day...I therefore sometimes do a guarantee because someone else is doing the figuring out for me. I also like the element of surprise. Since the mini is more expensive, and you think you will be fine in a balcony, then go with the balcony and see what happens!

coka

I booked an OX ocean view guarantee than my two cabin mates and I decided to pay the extra $120 each to go to a BX balcony guarantee. We were assigned a balcony on deck 8. When I called to ask for a higher deck, I was put on hold nearly 30 minutes and was offered a balcony mini suite on deck 9.

• 2 weeks later...
They said after final payment they will assign the cabin but does that mean the guaranteed cabins wont be available then for bookings?

The cruise line can decide to sell gty bookings before or after final payment or, perhaps most likely, both before and after, until they sell out. the cruise line can assign the cabin whenever they wish. some people have recently posted that they got assignments well before final payment. Others (like me this time) wait until well after final payment. My cruise is 22 days out. The cruiseline says insides and oceanviews are sold out, but they continue to market balcony cabins (including gty balconies) and some suites. I am looking forward to getting an assignment, but mostly I am looking forward to being back on an NCL cruise.

Booked a GTY BX on the Breakaway 5 weeks before the sailing, early Aug, at that time we had a GTY BX booked for the Breakaway in Oct (that was booked last year).

One weeks before the Aug trip we got assigned a Spa Balcony, 14700, loved it. So last week I got and email that my Edocs were ready,,we were upgrade to a Spa Balcony Again...

I will book a GTY when possible.