Venice cruise ship re-routing to go ahead next year

mosstraveltv

This has just been put on the BBC, so if you want to take in this magnificent view while you still can, get you cruise booked! News article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28728841

Here is footage I filmed there two years ago from the MSC Divina:

Time lapse video to Port:

(Easterly view)

Time lapse video from Port:

(Westerly view)

Views over Venice from the MSC Divina:

(normal speed)

The Port of Venice:

This has just been put on the BBC, so if you want to take in this magnificent view while you still can, get you cruise booked! News article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28728841

Here is footage I filmed there two years ago from the MSC Divina:

Time lapse video to Port:

(Easterly view)

Time lapse video from Port:

(Westerly view)

Views over Venice from the MSC Divina:

(normal speed)

The Port of Venice:

Thank you for these videos and for sharing. I was aware of the restricting of cruise ships might be in the works.

I will have my first sail away from Venice in October on Splendour of the Seas (which I did see on your video) :) My question is which side port or starboard is best to capture photos and video as you sail out?

Which side of the ship will I see St Mark's Sq from the ship?

Best for sailing into port?

Look forward to this.

Thank you for these videos and for sharing. I was aware of the restricting of cruise ships might be in the works.

I will have my first sail away from Venice in October on Splendour of the Seas (which I did see on your video) :) My question is which side port or starboard is best to capture photos and video as you sail out?

Which side of the ship will I see St Mark's Sq from the ship?

Best for sailing into port?

Look forward to this.

Port side for sailaway and starboard for sail-in.

I have been to Venice and I cruise altho never out of Venice. I saw a picture yesterday of one of the MSC ships in Venice and I have to say I don't blame them for not wanting the big cruise ships there..sure mucks up the Venice landscape per se for sure.Just my thought.

I have been to Venice and I cruise altho never out of Venice. I saw a picture yesterday of one of the MSC ships in Venice and I have to say I don't blame them for not wanting the big cruise ships there..sure mucks up the Venice landscape per se for sure.Just my thought.

That's wonderful news for Venice! About time.

I have been fortunate to cruise in and out of Venice twice. It is one of if not the most beautiful places to cruise from. I can see why the locals want changes but it will be sad to see the change.

Here is the article from Seatrader.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/italy-reinstates-venice-navigation-restrictions-while-fast-tracking-new-channel-construction.html

They've been kicking around this idea for years. Last yr they finally came up with a ban and the restriction on large ships was to start this yr. Keeps getting pushed back.

I think it will take a few years before the gov't can pull it off. First hey will need to build an infrastructure for tourists at the other pier .... you can't just dump 10,000 people on the side of a dock!

Looks like it is set to go. Most of the cruise lines have made the adjustments by placing smaller ships in Venice in order to meet the new size rules. Celebrity has pulled their "S" class ships and replaced the them with one "M" class.

Also they will not need a new terminal. They will dredge the Contorta-Sant’Angelo Channel so that ships can still dock at the Stazione Marittima’s terminals but it will take the ships away from the current route through the Giudecca Channel.

Edited by cruisingator2

Cruise ships are a double-edged sword for Venitians: on one hand tourists spend money and financially support the city; on the other hand, locals have to deal with tourists walking past their homes and cruise ships in their backyard, err, back canal. :)

We are sailing out of Venice in July of 2015. Our ship, the Jade, looks like it is JUST under the current size restrictions. YAY! We are so looking forward to sailing in and out of that spectacular port. I hope I am right about this :)

"The order by which in 2014 and 2015 no large ship weighing more than 96,000 tonnes will be able to enter Saint Mark's lagoon and the Giudecca canal is back in force," transport minister Maurizio Lupi said, describing the large ships as "skyscrapers of the sea".

The Norwegian JADE just makes it at 93,558

my previous post did not credit the fine searcher of important facts: here is the post done correctly :)

Big cruise ships will be barred from Venice's Saint Mark's lagoon, to protect Italy's floating city from potential damage caused by growing traffic, the government said on Friday (8/8/14).

Venetians and environmentalists have long voiced concern about tourist vessels sailing close to the fragile city. Last November, Italy's government started limiting traffic on the lagoon and the Giudecca canal, which flows into the lagoon between the main island of Venice and the island of La Giudecca to the south.

"The order by which in 2014 and 2015 no large ship weighing more than 96,000 tonnes will be able to enter Saint Mark's lagoon and the Giudecca canal is back in force," transport minister Maurizio Lupi said, describing the large ships as "skyscrapers of the sea".

The Norwegian JADE just makes it at 93,558 GRT :p

I, too, am glad for Venice, but I'm also glad that our cruise out of and into Venice takes place very soon because we've never been there. Would that the cruise companies just scale back on orders for these megaships!

Mrs M