First month-long cruise coming up!

DesertPesce7751

Hi everyone! We've only done shorter cruises in the past: 15 nights at most, but mostly 7-nighters. We'll be on the month-long round trip from San Diego to Lima this November on the Statendam and are curious to know what makes the longer itineraries different, if you have any wisdom on how to pack, and how you space out things like specialty dining and spa treatments.

Thanks!

I did a similar cruise a few years back. I did take a lot, but no more than I would have taken for a 2 week cruise. I did a lot of laundry in my sink even though the Statendam has laundry facilities.

I loved this cruise. It was really interesting and I have some great memories of a friend that has since passed away. One thing that I really loved was a HAL excursion where you had dinner in a mansion. It was so cool. That was probably the thing I remember most about that trip.

Have fun!

Hi everyone! We've only done shorter cruises in the past: 15 nights at most, but mostly 7-nighters. We'll be on the month-long round trip from San Diego to Lima this November on the Statendam and are curious to know what makes the longer itineraries different, if you have any wisdom on how to pack, and how you space out things like specialty dining and spa treatments.

Thanks!

I did a 28 day Australian/New Zealand a few years ago. I just figured that I was going to send laundry out at least 3 times and figured that as part of my cost of the trip. (they have a stuff the bag for $20 which is nice). I packed for a 10 day trip.

I don't do speciality dining and I did one spa treatment on day 15 and one later day 25 or 26. Neither spa treatment was planned, I took advantage of daily specials.

Have a great cruise :)

I did a similar cruise a few years back. I did take a lot, but no more than I would have taken for a 2 week cruise. I did a lot of laundry in my sink even though the Statendam has laundry facilities.

I loved this cruise. It was really interesting and I have some great memories of a friend that has since passed away. One thing that I really loved was a HAL excursion where you had dinner in a mansion. It was so cool. That was probably the thing I remember most about that trip.

Have fun!

I think I know who the friend is and I have fond memories of her too.

You will find this length seems to go on and on.

I pack for anything over 30 days as I do for fewer days, just a couple of extra formal tops and more shoes (OK, a lot more shoes!!).

This is a great cruise but take extras of what you feel comfortable in for hot weather.

You will find this length seems to go on and on.

I pack for anything over 30 days as I do for fewer days, just a couple of extra formal tops and more shoes (OK, a lot more shoes!!).

This is a great cruise but take extras of what you feel comfortable in for hot weather.

ditto - just a few more things here and there - some for comfort, some for formal, whatever.

we usually space some specialty dining out and book a few ahead of time. if the cruise has more than one segment, we always book the last night of the first segment in the PG. We pick a couple of other nights where we will like to eat at a different time (maybe earlier for an early start day) and book PG there. Assuming there are openings you can always change them on board.

LOVE 30 day cruises - you will be amazed how fast the time goes by!

Did this cruise last Nov/December on the Statendam. It was great and time passed by very quickly. I pack like I'm going to be gone two weeks, that seems to works for me. They have lots of things going on when you are at sea. Once you take a 30 day cruise you will want to do more of them.:D:D:D

This is a wonderful cruise... we went from San Diego to Lima and back. In Panama we were there 2 days and one of the highlights was a visit to an indigenous (sp?) tribe and of course the ruins in Peru. We didn't go to Machu Pichu for health reasons, but found Lima and ruins nearby to be fascinating. One of the most interesting things that happens on this cruise is being awoken by the "fog" horn south of the Equator all the way to Lima... kind of like living on the coast of North California in the summer coastal fogs. Days at sea became a very relaxing retreat for us and we enjoyed them.... some also want a ton of activity every minute of every day. By the way since taking that 30 day cruise we have taken a few others and really enjoy them and the pleasure of pure sea days. Have a great time. Remember you will have self service laundries on the ship so even two weeks of clothing isn't really necessary depending how you "deal" with formal night...we take two changes and vary the accessories and that seems to work fine.

Our first post-retirement cruise was a half of an Asian cruise [ on the Volendam] in 2002. We enjoyed the cruise enormously but not the Denver to Singapore flight! We made friends on that cruise that are still friends today - so we now take preferrably LONG cruises once or twice a year [usually once] and Asia/Australia is still my preferred destination [ Europe comes a close second]

BTW we have taken a World Cruise on Amsterdam[HAL] and thought that was too long and too much time away from family FOR US! [it was 110 days] so we feel we've found our niche,,,,,,, I hope you CAN find yours!

Anne in Longmont

You will no longer want to do 7 day cruises ..

Quoting for truth! The short cruises will seem more like an annoyance than a vacation.

Like others have said, just pack for 7-10 day, have 1 or 2 more formal outfits than you'd need on a short(er) cruise and you'll be set. Muling more than 15 days worth of clothing is beyond lunacy with the laundry facilities on board and the ability to wash in a sink/tub.

You're going to so love it!

Derek

Sounds like a wonderful cruise. My last 30 day cruise with HAL was to Hawaii and Tahiti, round trip from San Diego on Ryndam and it remains one of my fondest cruise experiences. Thereafter 7 or even 10 days cruises seemed hardly worth the effort. That cruise had a lot of sea days, 4 on the way to Hawaii and I believe 6 coming back with just one port in Nuku Hiva, I imagine you have fewer sea days but just load up your Kindle with some reading material and try not to gain too much weight! On my cruise my friend's wife took us regularly to the gym for weigh-ins and then doled out the required laps around the lower promenade.

As to packing, others have given good advice, I pack for 30 days about the same as 14 days in similar climates and just have laundry done more often (what single guy wants to do laundry on vacation?).

Enjoy! And I look forward to your comments after you return.

I'm fortunate that I'm now in a position to take longer cruises and I will never again go on a short one after experiencing 30-day-plus voyages. Shorter ones are not worth my time and effort, but, as I said, I'm fortunate (it was not always so). You'll meet very well traveled fellow PAX the longer your cruise. I've made good friends on longer cruises who now join me (or I them) on long cruises. Of course, I and my friends love sea days. In addition to relaxing after heavy-duty touring in ports, there are special things going on in the ship, especially on sea days. Enjoy!

Now that we are finally retired, we only do longer cruises. My 'retirement' present was the 30-day Hawaii, Polynesia and Marqueases cruise - and we were hooked! All I do for longer cruises is pack for 14 days like others do and add a few extra tops, both casual and formal to wear with black or white slacks, or my long black skirt as try to stay with a few basic colors and just add tops. Have found adding extra tops prevents clothes boredom. Gave up on a lot of 'outfits' and converted to mostly a few 'bottoms' and varied blouses as well as a few dresses which has saved lots of packing room. We just send laundry out although we have meet some fantastic people in the laundry room. Thankfully I do not have to bring tons of shoes as go for comfort and just a little style rather than a lot of style and stick to Capezio ballet slippers/shoes. Probably the biggest differences are we tend to bring more medications for colds, stomach 'ailments', crossword and Suduku puzzles, and add more books into our Kindles, etc. Watch out as longer cruises are addictive and it is SOOOO hard to go back. You will start looking at the cruise length 1st when looking for your next cruise. We have a 21-day cruise coming up and wish it was longer.....

Have a great time as yours is a wonderful cruise as such varied ports, tons to see and do, and those wonderful sea days. Staff tends to be more open and friendly (which we love), there is so much more to do on the ship with lectures, games, etc and passengers seem a bit more open to meeting other people on longer cruises. We still correspond with many people we have had the pleasure to meet on past cruises plus there are some whom we met, then have and will cruise with again!

I'm odd man out. I would not contemplate a 30 day cruise. The longest cruise I could take was 12 days (and the last 3 days at sea made it almost intolerable). But I wouldn't want to be gone from home for 30 days even on a land vacation (did that twice and won't repeat it). 3 weeks is tops, we find we are antsy to be home in our own beds around day 18. JMHO

I wish you luck on the longer voyage!

I find another nice thing is you get to relax more. If you don't get to do something on the ship today you will have another chance next week. This is for dining also. You don't feel like "prime rib" tonight no worry, it will be on the menu again. So just have "soup and salad" You didn't miss out.....

Since we took our first 30 day cruise, lo these many years ago, we have found it almost impossible to go back to shorter cruises.

It is so nice to not have to repack for a month. The staff and crew seem to get to know you better and seem to have a bit more time to make your cruise special. There are more balls, dances, parties etc. than on a shorter cruise. There will usually be a black and white ball and/or a marine blue ball, where one can dance with the officers.

There is usually a few fancy lunch or tea deals also.

As for clothes, just pack for two weeks and send your laundry out in the little bags. It is so worth the $20 or so and it comes back so nice.

We love sea days and just sitting and staring at the ocean looking for wild life and enjoying the serenity and the fresh, fresh ocean air.

I find another nice thing is you get to relax more. If you don't get to do something on the ship today you will have another chance next week. This is for dining also. You don't feel like "prime rib" tonight no worry, it will be on the menu again. So just have "soup and salad" You didn't miss out.....

You've hit the nail right on the head! I can return from a 49-day cruise and find I've gained only a pound...and that's gone after I've been home two days. There is no need to overindulge on a longer cruise. There is always tomorrow. None of the people I travel with or observe on the longer voyages seem to overfill their plates in the Lido. When I took shorter cruises years ago, the "eyes bigger than the stomach" syndrome was in full gear. I was at a table on a short cruise years ago when a tablemate ordered two of each category (appetizers, entree, etc.) every night. Her rationale: She might never get it again on the cruise.