Florida Turnpike

davidcraig2003

Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise me. I'll be staying in Orlando for a few nights in October before driving to Fort Lauderdale to get on the Oasis. We plan on driving down after a day in Universal, so around 6 - 10pm.

We will have the hire car for 4 days, but using toll roads only for the drive to Fort Lauderdale. As a result, I'm hesitant to pay the daily fee for the car hire Sunpass system, as it must be purchased for the duration of the rental.

I would want to travel the entire journey on the Turnpike, getting off at Davie. According to Google Maps I would enter the turnpike at exit 259: Orlando - I4/Disney World and get off at Exit 54: I-595.

Is it possible to do this entire jouney with cash payment? I can't find a listing of which exists have tolls booths and which are automated. Also, if there are manned booths, will they be open around 10pm?

Thanks,

David

Greetings

The turnpike accepts cash for that entire route. Must be American cash though :). Miami/dade is where you will find the majority of "sunpass only" tolls. There is an occasional exit on your route that only accepts sunpass, but these are new exits that you really won't need to use.

Good Sailing

Tom

Perfect, thank you!

Final question, I promise. When we saw 'cash', it is literally cash only, or plastic also?

A quick check of the Turnpike web site does not answer this question that I can see .... I do not recall ever seeing evidence that the turnpike took plastic.

My recommendation is have 'dollars'

Hi,

I wonder if someone could advise me. I'll be staying in Orlando for a few nights in October before driving to Fort Lauderdale to get on the Oasis. We plan on driving down after a day in Universal, so around 6 - 10pm.

We will have the hire car for 4 days, but using toll roads only for the drive to Fort Lauderdale. As a result, I'm hesitant to pay the daily fee for the car hire Sunpass system, as it must be purchased for the duration of the rental.

I would want to travel the entire journey on the Turnpike, getting off at Davie. According to Google Maps I would enter the turnpike at exit 259: Orlando - I4/Disney World and get off at Exit 54: I-595.

Is it possible to do this entire jouney with cash payment? I can't find a listing of which exists have tolls booths and which are automated. Also, if there are manned booths, will they be open around 10pm?

Thanks,

David

You are looking at $15-$20 USD, for the trip, there are a couple of service plazas is you need it. And the exit for 595 has pay booths (the ones with people). I have personally paid at about 0200.

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Thanks,

David

You are looking at $15-$20 USD, for the trip, there are a couple of service plazas is you need it. And the exit for 595 has pay booths (the ones with people). I have personally paid at about 0200.

Hope this helps!

Hi David, sorry to jump in on your thread. We're doing exactly the same in November.

Rental is four days pre cruise in Orlando, then driving down to Port Everglades, then one day post cruise to drive back to MCO.

I was thinking the exact same as you, the rentals can charge anything up to $8.99 per rental day for the entire duration even if you only use it on the last day which can effectively double the toll charges.

Thanks to Tom for the info that the turnpike still accepts cash but I noted that Three Lakes Toll Plaza and Latana Toll Plaza are cashless (there could be others?). What happens there if you do not have Sunpass? They are ticket lanes.

Edited by icsys

Hi David, sorry to jump in on your thread. We're doing exactly the same in November.

Rental is four days pre cruise in Orlando, then driving down to Port Everglades, then one day post cruise to drive back to MCO.

I was thinking the exact same as you, the rentals can charge anything up to $8.99 per rental day for the entire duration even if you only use it on the last day which can effectively double the toll charges.

Thanks to Tom for the info that the turnpike still accepts cash but I noted that Three Lakes Toll Plaza and Latana Toll Plaza are cashless (there could be others?). What happens there if you do not have Sunpass? They are ticket lanes.

Greetings

All the main plazas take cash whenever a toll is required. It is several of the newer exits that don't take cash as well as the system in Miami/Dade. You will be able to pay cash the entire route to Port Everglades.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011

Recommend you also bring change as many tolls are $1.25 or some such amount. Only coins can go through the 'throw the money lanes' so if not enough change, you have to go through the attendant lanes. The turnpike web site will let you calculate your exact tolls. The SunPass system has their own web site sunpass dot com that has some information for rental cars that may be of help.

I'll add that we took an exit from the tollroad that had no attendant. There was a sign and envelopes that said if I didn't have exact change (75 cents) that I had to mail them a check. I took the envelope and drove through the red light. They must have retrieved my email address from the rental agency, as a month later when I didn't send the check I started receiving daily emails saying I had a payment for a toll due. I sent a check two months later and the messages stopped.

I will note that my last trip I rented from Enterprise and they included the Fastlane thing for no charge. They billed me the expected toll amounts about 2 weeks later.