Alaska Southbound on the Sun - Denali National Park?

jmele999

I considered posting this on the Alaska board, but wanted to get feedback from everyone who has been to Alaska regarding my question.

We are booked on the Sun from Seward to Vancouver next June. It will be our first time in Alaska. There are eight of us on the cruise, including my in-laws (late 60's) and family friends, but only four of us will be arriving in Anchorage a couple of days prior to the cruise. We (us and my in-laws) are really considering travelling to Denali National Park prior to the cruise. Based on our schedule (see below), is Denali National Park worth the drive from Anchorage and extra money or should we consider doing something else?

Thursday late evening/Friday early morning - Arrival in Anchorage.

Friday - Drive to Denali (Drive is about 4.5 hours, but we plan on stopping along the way so it should take us about 8 hours to drive from Anchorage to Denali).

Saturday - Spend all day in Denali National Park - we have not decided on whether to do a private tour or use the bus provided by park. 11 - 12 hours in the park.

Sunday - Early (8 - 9 am) departure from Denali Hotel to Anchorage (5 hour Drive)

Monday - Drive/train from Anchorage to Seward to board the Sun.

What do think? It sounds like a lot of driving just to go to Denali National Park.

We did a similar cruise on X ten or so years ago. We spent three nights in Alaska pre-cruise - two in Anchorage and one near Seward.

After arriving at 9pm or so, we rented a car and went directly to our hotel...we were TIRED. It was 3 or 4 in the morning according to our east coast bodies. The next morning, we drove to Talkeetna and did a fly-around of Denali with a glacier landing. We discussed staying the night at Denali but because we had decided we didn't want to spend the day in a school bus, we elected to do the flight instead....not sure there were private tours available at the time...and we aren't hikers.After that we drove back to Anchorage on a different, non-freeway route. Wonderful day, beautiful scenary.

After a tasty salmon dinner and a walmart stop for hard to pack cruise essentials, we returned to our hotel. The next morning, we drove to Seward. What should have been a 2-3 hour drive, took us 8 because we kept stopping to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Really great drive.

That night we stayed in a rustic group of cabins 30 minutes outside of Seward. The next morning, we got up, packed the car and then waited to wave to our friends on the Anchorage train when they passed our cabin. We then jumped in the car and chased them to Seward. Actually caught up, got out and waved to them at another crossing. LOL

In Seward, we picked up their luggage and checked in onboard, had lunch and then disembarked. We used the car one last time to visit Exit Glacier. After that, we dropped the rental and re-boarded well before our 8 pm departure.

No one can decide for your whether it is too much driving or not, but for us, it wasn't. Every second we were seeing something beautiful, catching a glimpse of a new animal (eagles, goats, moose, etc) or seeing some new flower or plant.

Have a great trip...I am envious!

We did a similar cruise on X ten or so years ago. We spent three nights in Alaska pre-cruise - two in Anchorage and one near Seward.

After arriving at 9pm or so, we rented a car and went directly to our hotel...we were TIRED. It was 3 or 4 in the morning according to our east coast bodies. The next morning, we drove to Talkeetna and did a fly-around of Denali with a glacier landing. We discussed staying the night at Denali but because we had decided we didn't want to spend the day in a school bus, we elected to do the flight instead....not sure there were private tours available at the time...and we aren't hikers.After that we drove back to Anchorage on a different, non-freeway route. Wonderful day, beautiful scenary.

After a tasty salmon dinner and a walmart stop for hard to pack cruise essentials, we returned to our hotel. The next morning, we drove to Seward. What should have been a 2-3 hour drive, took us 8 because we kept stopping to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Really great drive.

That night we stayed in a rustic group of cabins 30 minutes outside of Seward. The next morning, we got up, packed the car and then waited to wave to our friends on the Anchorage train when they passed our cabin. We then jumped in the car and chased them to Seward. Actually caught up, got out and waved to them at another crossing. LOL

In Seward, we picked up their luggage and checked in onboard, had lunch and then disembarked. We used the car one last time to visit Exit Glacier. After that, we dropped the rental and re-boarded well before our 8 pm departure.

No one can decide for your whether it is too much driving or not, but for us, it wasn't. Every second we were seeing something beautiful, catching a glimpse of a new animal (eagles, goats, moose, etc) or seeing some new flower or plant.

Have a great trip...I am envious!

Thanks Clay,

My partner really want to see Denali. I am concerned that after arriving in anchorage at midnight from the east coast we are not going to enjoy the drive to Denali. As you indicated, I am also not looking forward to the 8 hour drive on a school bus. If you do a private tour, you are still on a bus for the same amount of time.

The idea of doing a fly by in Denali sounds great. Not sure if my in-laws would like to get on a small plane again - we did it in Hawaii and they did not like the small plan experience.

By the way, I see that you live in Houston, we are taking the Jewel out of Houston next January. Looking forward to it.

Johan

Edited by jmele999

Your itinerary would work very well, but you are underestimating the driving time. I suggest you allow 6 hours Anchorage/Denali for a cushion. There is plenty to see and do, so great idea to plan on your "8 hours"

There aren't any "private" tours into Denali. The tour buses are run by the same vendor who does the shuttle buses, Aramark. IF you stay at one of the Kantishna lodges, they do provide their own buses, but I wouldn't call them tour buses. I don't find any benefit to the Aramark tour buses, with the shuttles one of the best bargains for Alaska visitors. :) Going after June 8 will get you to Wonder Lake, be sure to be well prepared for the bugs with full strength Deet.

An added suggestion, would be to consider taking the Alaska RR to Seward. This is far more scenic compared to the Seward Highway and allows you to plan some activities in Seward including a Kenai Fjords boat tour- which I never miss, for the jackpot varied wildlife opportunities. I would absolutely discourage anyone from having a priority to get on a ship. Seward is a gem, and loaded with activities to enjoy.

Driving from Anchorage to Denali is a 6-8 hour drive because you will find so much to stop and see. If there are animals along the route, you will stop and time will get away from you.

The scenery is breathtaking in most of Alaska. We lived in Denali for 4 Summers and enjoyed every minute. Yes, it is school buses that do the trip to the interior but you never know what you will see and they stop alot. When we were there you had an option to go only half way in and return.

Another route option that is beautiful is the drive from Anchorage to Homer, this is going South and is about another 5-6 hours. Driving Turn Again Arm is stunning.

Any route to anywhere in Alaska is worth the time. Remember you can rest on the Cruise but how often are you going to see Denali?

Enjoy your trip.

Lynda

Thanks Clay,

My partner really want to see Denali. I am concerned that after arriving in anchorage at midnight from the east coast we are not going to enjoy the drive to Denali. As you indicated, I am also not looking forward to the 8 hour drive on a school bus. If you do a private tour, you are still on a bus for the same amount of time.

The idea of doing a fly by in Denali sounds great. Not sure if my in-laws would like to get on a small plane again - we did it in Hawaii and they did not like the small plan experience.

By the way, I see that you live in Houston, we are taking the Jewel out of Houston next January. Looking forward to it.

Johan

I'm keeping my eye on the Jewell pricing, waiting for final payment dates....hope to grab a bargain cruise! Drop a line to BigNCBear@aol.com if you need any Houston advice.

Your itinerary would work very well, but you are underestimating the driving time. I suggest you allow 6 hours Anchorage/Denali for a cushion. There is plenty to see and do, so great idea to plan on your "8 hours"

There aren't any "private" tours into Denali. The tour buses are run by the same vendor who does the shuttle buses, Aramark. IF you stay at one of the Kantishna lodges, they do provide their own buses, but I wouldn't call them tour buses. I don't find any benefit to the Aramark tour buses, with the shuttles one of the best bargains for Alaska visitors. :) Going after June 8 will get you to Wonder Lake, be sure to be well prepared for the bugs with full strength Deet.

An added suggestion, would be to consider taking the Alaska RR to Seward. This is far more scenic compared to the Seward Highway and allows you to plan some activities in Seward including a Kenai Fjords boat tour- which I never miss, for the jackpot varied wildlife opportunities. I would absolutely discourage anyone from having a priority to get on a ship. Seward is a gem, and loaded with activities to enjoy.

Thanks for the information about the tour buses.

We are considering the Alaska RR for the trip from Anchorage to Seward, but were concerned about our luggage since we would like to see Seward before we board the cruise. A possible solution to this would be to drop off our luggage at the pier and then go sightseeing.

Did the train from Anchorage to Seward and did the Kenai Fjord boat trip as the previous poster suggested. It was wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. Do you remember how long the Kenai Fjord boat trip lasts?

Driving from Anchorage to Denali is a 6-8 hour drive because you will find so much to stop and see. If there are animals along the route, you will stop and time will get away from you.

The scenery is breathtaking in most of Alaska. We lived in Denali for 4 Summers and enjoyed every minute. Yes, it is school buses that do the trip to the interior but you never know what you will see and they stop alot. When we were there you had an option to go only half way in and return.

Another route option that is beautiful is the drive from Anchorage to Homer, this is going South and is about another 5-6 hours. Driving Turn Again Arm is stunning.

Any route to anywhere in Alaska is worth the time. Remember you can rest on the Cruise but how often are you going to see Denali?

Enjoy your trip.

Lynda

Excellent point about resting on the cruise. We have so many other places that we would like to see so it is not likely that we are going to return to Alaska anytime soon.

I considered posting this on the Alaska board, but wanted to get feedback from everyone who has been to Alaska regarding my question.

We are booked on the Sun from Seward to Vancouver next June. It will be our first time in Alaska. There are eight of us on the cruise, including my in-laws (late 60's) and family friends, but only four of us will be arriving in Anchorage a couple of days prior to the cruise. We (us and my in-laws) are really considering travelling to Denali National Park prior to the cruise. Based on our schedule (see below), is Denali National Park worth the drive from Anchorage and extra money or should we consider doing something else?

Thursday late evening/Friday early morning - Arrival in Anchorage.

Friday - Drive to Denali (Drive is about 4.5 hours, but we plan on stopping along the way so it should take us about 8 hours to drive from Anchorage to Denali).

Saturday - Spend all day in Denali National Park - we have not decided on whether to do a private tour or use the bus provided by park. 11 - 12 hours in the park.

Sunday - Early (8 - 9 am) departure from Denali Hotel to Anchorage (5 hour Drive)

Monday - Drive/train from Anchorage to Seward to board the Sun.

What do think? It sounds like a lot of driving just to go to Denali National Park.

Have you considered doing one of the precruise tours which include a 2 day

visit to Denali and Alaska Railroad trip from ANC to Denali (not to be missed)

and a motor coach return to with an

overnight stay at Alyeska Resort. A pretty all inclusive tour (meals excepted)

LINK:

http://www.ncl.com/vacations/seward-alaska-norwegian-sun-2-guests?ships=4294963203&embarkationport=4294915118&cruise=0&cruiseTour=1&cruiseHotel=1&cruiseHotelAir=0&numberOfGuests=4294915774&pageSize=200&currentPage=1&sortBy=Featured&autoPopulate=f&from=resultPage

Arrive ANC overnight Sheraton Hotel

RR trip next day to Denali

Overnight McKinley Village

Next day trip into the interior of Denali Park

Overnight McKinley Village

Next day motor coach to Alyeska Resort overnight

Next day motor coach to port and ship side visit to Animal Wild Life Park

I did this July 2013 and it was a great wonderful experience - good bang for the buck !

ALSO note things have changed NCL uses the Port of Seward instead of like

last year Whittier.

Planning on doing a self-guided driver tour - While Alaska roads are pretty much

in good conditions beware that in many places the road was constructed across

areas of fluctuating permafrost. The highway at these point is constantly under

repair and is often a alternating one-way road for many miles - the scenery

is awesomely beautiful but the driver is not going to have the opportunity

to take in all of it most of time. Best taking a tour in a motor coach and/or train

where everyone can enjoy the sights.

Whether you take a tour or design your own you are going to have an adventure

to talk about for years to come.

If you do it yourself plan on the unexpected and allow time especially on the

last leg getting to Seward - take the train if you can relax and see the exciting

scenery.

Hopefully other CC posters will give you more to think and plan to make your

travel plans eventful.

Forgot to Add - Hope the "Mountain is Out" (local Alaska expression - Mt Denali visible 30 % of the time) !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

Thanks for the information about the tour buses.

We are considering the Alaska RR for the trip from Anchorage to Seward, but were concerned about our luggage since we would like to see Seward before we board the cruise. A possible solution to this would be to drop off our luggage at the pier and then go sightseeing.

Luggage is not a concern. Tour operators will store your bags for you, or you can take them to the ship- but, IF you were considering a Kenai Fjords boat tour- you would only have time for the vendor to store your bags.

Have you considered doing one of the precruise tours which include a 2 day

visit to Denali and Alaska Railroad trip from ANC to Denali (not to be missed)

and a motor coach return to with an

overnight stay at Alyeska Resort. A pretty all inclusive tour (meals excepted)

Planning on doing a self-guided driver tour - While Alaska roads are pretty much

in good conditions beware that in many places the road was constructed across

areas of fluctuating permafrost. The highway at these point is constantly under

repair and is often a alternating one-way road for many miles - the scenery

is awesomely beautiful but the driver is not going to have the opportunity

to take in all of it most of time. Best taking a tour in a motor coach and/or train

where everyone can enjoy the sights.

!

I disagree on several points. The problem with these tours, can be Denali Park, and the inclusion of the Natural History tour- worthless, or the Tundra Wilderness tour- doesn't get to Eielson. The Alaska RR, Denali/Anchorage, just about parallels the Parks Highway, there is no benefit on this portion, for scenery- to take the train. The scenic winner of the Alaska RR, by far is Anchorage/Seward.

I question if this poster has multiple trips to Alaska, including driving there? There is no issue driving in Alaska, the Parks Highway is well maintained and a normal 55 mph highway. Yes there is construction. Wrong about the driver. Alaska is nothing but clear expansive viewing. It isn't I-5 8 lane freeway driving. It is a 2 lane road. Plenty of pull offs, and with self driving, the freedom to stop when and where you wish. Get a copy of THE MILEPOST. full descriptions of the Alaska highways.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Clay,

Johan

You might be interested in this article in todays ANC paper. Sinnott is a super great and popular local biologist, now retired.

http://www.adn.com/article/20140823/captive-audience-denali-bus-drivers-can-make-visits-magnificent-or-miserable

We just returned from a northbound sun cruise and a 8 day land tour. Having done the trip, if I had to cut days out of my trip I would cut out Denali.

Personally, I would hate a cruisetour...we like to do things when we like to do them and stay in smaller places.

We make good time to Denali...it took us just over 7 hours to drive from Seward to the entrance of the national park. We stopped at Beluga point to climb on rocks (I have a 9 year old), had lunch in Wasilla and stopped at both viewpoints (the mountain was not out so we did not stop for long). Of all of the scenery in Alaska, the trip from Wasilla to Denali was not particularly scenic. We were able to visit the Dog sled kennels (nice) and since there was lots of daylight we went to mile 9 to see if the mountain was out and it was! The alpenglow was also gorgeous at that time. The next day we did the shuttle to the Eilson (sp) visitor center...we saw multiple bears (one quite close), moose, dall sheep and the mountain was almost completely out. We did enjoy the visitor center and hiking around on the tundra.

We got out of what we were expecting out of Denali, and I am not sure how it could have been "better"; seeing the mountain was very important to my husband.

We found the scenery on the Kenai penninsula and the Glenn Highway more impressive, and for enjoying the tundra really liked Hatcher Pass (which is much closer to anchorage). But it is rainier on the penninsula.

Seeing the mountain was great...it was just a lot of riding to drive out there, spend the entire day on the bus, and then drive back the next day. The area outside the park is also crowded, so their were long waits for meals.