Would you rather...

theriac

I like to do longer cruises because I like to unpack and get comfortable, not live out of our suitcase. I would definitely choose a 7-8 day. I love sea days too so that means more of those.

us too!! DH said he'd like to just take a cruise with no port stops. just sail in open ocean for 7 days! i did find "cruise to nowhere" but they're only 2 days

I've taken a lot of 5 day cruises because I could drive to the ports (closest is still 5 hrs). But if I drive down the day before, I end up taking off the entire week anyway. Right?

But, really, I like them all. I'm doing two 8-nighters soon and I'm getting three new ports on each.

For a post-tax-season just-relaxing cruise, I really have no problem driving to Charleston yet again and doing 5 more days on Fantasy, even if we only stop in Nassau and Freeport. I never, ever just stay on the ship. There's always something else to see or do. I could go to Nassau and Cozumel once a month if I could. Wouldn't bother me at all! :p

Part of me would rather sail more often than only do one longer cruise a year. I "need" to cruise more frequently than that. If that meant two 5-nighters, I'd be OK with that.

They're all good!

I only ask because I live in florida and am about 30 minutes from the port of tampa, 2 hours from port canaveral, and 4 hours from MIA and FLL so its easy to get to ports, if I had to fly to a port or drive for a long time I would definitely take the longer cruise

Don't forget Jacksonville, we're about a 4 hour drive from you.

Given the cost of airfare, hotel, transfer, the cost of a 7-day cruise from FL is probably only about 10-20% more than the cost of a 4-day cruise, so I would never take the shorter cruise, unless it was part of a longer vacation.

That said, if I lived within easy driving distance of a port (say 2 hours or less), I might think differently. I'd still consider a 4-day more of a "getaway" than a vacation.

We have done 3 and 4 days combined with a Disney land vacation. I preferred the cruise part. ;)

We have done a couple of 5 days because we could drive to Boston without air fare involved. :)

We will stay with the 7+ days from here on. :p

Anything else seems too short.

And in a year or so intend to do a transatlantic for the 40th anniversary. :D

Just doing a survey of what people would rather do. Would you rather go on one 7-8 night cruise or spread them out and go on two 4-5 night cruises. If itinerary wasn't an issue to you which would you prefer to do? One decent length vacation, or two shorter cruises?

Hmmm... how about one 120 day World Cruise!!!! haha. No, I would miss my grandbaby too much.

I think one long one because sometimes the airfare is as much as a short cruise fare. I'd rather spend once a year on airfare and have the week long cruise to really feel on vacation!

One longer cruise for me. Unless I lived close to a port, it wouldn't be worth it for me to pay airfare for 2 cruises. Also, I've read here that the shorter cruises often have a higher percentage of cruisers who are there primarily to get drunk. Not for me.

If I lived as close as you do to the ports I would book anything and everything!! Living in New Jersey we have booked only 7-8 day cruises until last year when we did our anniversary cruise on the Imagination for 4 days. Wasn't long enough for me although I fell in love with Key West. We only had one sea day and one elegant night (which is ok with me because I don't like dressing up). Doing another 4 day in January for my birthday, then will be looking for another longer one. That is, after we feel the Breeze in September!!:)

Definitely one long cruise. My first cruise was 10 nights and I didn't want to disembark on the last day. Especially as I got to know lots of my fellow passengers as well as our waiters and entertainment staff. On longer cruisers, I can see how a cruise ship starts to feel like a temporary home. A World Cruise is definitely on my bucket list. :)

The longer, the better for this gal :D

I have never done one less than 7 nights (and prefer at least 9-10 nights). I live 8-12 hours from any port with cruises I am interested in. However, if I lived 2hrs or less from a port with shorter cruises I liked the sound of, I would probably do a shorter cruise every few months to help get me through the 18-24 months that usually separate my longer cruises.

Melissa

I prefer to go for the longer cruise. By the time you go through check in, board, get unpacked and familiar with the ship and start to relax, it is time to leave for a really short cruise.

If you have to fly to embarkation port, a longer cruise gives you more vacation days to enjoy after paying usually high airfare. I call that more for my money. :)

Why isn't 2 longer cruises an option? :D

I will not even look at a shorter cruise, as the flights I need cost too much that it would not make sense to go shorter.

We LOVE 5 day itineraries - it's the ideal length for us and we've done many of the 4 day ones too. We always combine them with a couple of days on land to round out the week, which is the maximum length of vacation time off I can take (have 5 separate weeks a year to use). A 7 day itinerary has us feeling like we're too rushed coming and going and then needing to be right back to work. Airfare is definitely an issue but then it's also unavoidable.