No Early Main Dining Option

I'd wait for a formal announcement from the line before betting the farm on such a significant change.

I'm confused... the comment was about after going into drydock in Sept, Allure would change to MTD. But I thought we were talking about ships changing to DD. Do you suppose that's what they meant?

In any case, let's say the rumor was true. Would a formal announcement come in the form of a notification to everyone who has reservations for later this year and beyond? We are already set with 6pm Early Traditional in November. Would they just automatically change it to 6pm MTD/DD? (which could then be customized later) Or will we be left with no reservations at all? Like many people, I planned our show times around our dinner time.

When booking during the time that the desired dining option is not available online, a friendly call to request it due to medical issues may open it up.

One would hope anyone doing this has a legitimate medical issue...

we booked the grandeur out of Baltimore for next April over 2 months ago and there was no option for early or late, just MTD.

Since that is what we usually book it wasn't a big deal to us. :)

Bill

It is all about auto tips,Tell them to wait list you.Also tell them no way will you do my time dining.And you will not pre pay tips for it.This game is played every time we book a cruise,we always get it. :)

There's a difference between MTD and DD. If the older ships switch to MTD, then anyone preferring early or late seating can simply make a reservation at that time every night and request the same servers and table. BUT, if they switch to DD and each floor of the MDR becomes a different restaurant, then we have a problem. I find it difficult to believe they will switch the Vision/Radiance (even Voyager/Freedom/Oasis) Classes to DD because without a major refurb of the dining room, we would have two/three restaurants. First we start with 4 complimentary restaurants on Quantum, now we're down to two or three? I don't like that...

We were offered Late seating (8:30) or MTD for our Allure Feb 2015 booking when we booked in May. It wasn't MTD only...

Allure isn't going to dry dock until next May 2015. Oasis' dry dock is October of this year. So I guess we'll find out when we hear more about what changes will happen during the Oasis dry dock.

I Keep reading about the prepaid gartuities being the reason, but what is mostly lost in the discussion is that prepaid gratuities for MTD are added to the cruise fare and not collected at the time of booking (unless you book past final payment date).

There is really no incentive for RCI to push cruisers towards MTD a year out and waitlist them for traditional seating. They do not collect any more Money for this in advance. If the cruisers clear the waitlist before final payment is due, the prepaid grats will fall off their bill automatically. It has happened to me a few times and I always had to advise them to leave the prepaid grtas in place, as I actually like them.

Time will tell! some are already saying that their Trad dinning waitlist time only became available after final payment which means the pre paid grats do not automatically fall off the bill and would need to be a refund(which wont happen).

They would also be concentrating on a specific groups like those who usually pay for grats with OBC!

pre piad for those who use OBC would mean extra money for RCI

Edited by fishtaco

The vast vast vast majority of cruisers book and then forget about it. They don't keep obsessively checking prices or other aspects of their cruise. They just leave it alone, and when final payment time comes, they pay.

These are the cruisers that RC LIKES and pushes into MTD. ;)

plenty left

What you are describing doesn't fit us, yet when we were booking our next cruise when we were on Allure in June early seating was unavailable and we were given a choice of Late Seating or MTD.

My husband checks repeatedly for price changes prior to final payment. I made it very clear that I did not want MTD, and as a Diamond C&A member felt it was ridiculous that Early seating was full, so many months prior to sailing. It was clear from the number of cabins still that the ship was not full.

plenty left

What you are describing doesn't fit us, yet when we were booking our next cruise when we were on Allure in June early seating was unavailable and we were given a choice of Late Seating or MTD.

My husband checks repeatedly for price changes prior to final payment. I made it very clear that I did not want MTD, and as a Diamond C&A member felt it was ridiculous that Early seating was full, so many months prior to sailing. It was clear from the number of cabins still that the ship was not full.

I think people need look beyond their personal experiences and take note of the cruisers who cannot get their preferred trad dinning time when booking far out and also wonder why especially Diamond C&A members?

Also those who dont like traditional mixed dinning just dont see a problem, I enjoy late trad dinning on a mixed table and it has become part of our most memorable and enjoyed cruise activities over the years so am also annoyed and puzzled when we cant get our preferred dinning time so far out.