Loyalty discount and 123Go perk....

SunnyinDubai

Hi, Wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen to them...we booked a cruise in Jan which admittedly was a good price. We have now been advised that Celebrity will not offer the 123go offer as we have received a loyalty discount from them...our TA has kindly offered to make up the loss for us but I don't think that that is fair on them....has anyone else experienced this? :confused:

I have one booked with loyalty discount (15% I believe) and no 123 does not apply.

I booked a suite, so mathematically, I'm better off keeping the 15% discount versus the value of the drink package and using the extra savings to buy a package or my drinks as I go.

They did however apply a shareholder OBC credit to the reservation.

I think it is quite fair that they apply the policy and restrictions of the promotion.

From the Terms and Conditions of the 123 offer:

Offer requires ocean view or higher stateroom booking at the non-discounted standard cruise fare. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion or price program. - See more at: http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/pick-your-perk?icid=hp_bt_pckyrp_1408_spyp_lk_795230#sthash.ZNGwk2DG.dpuf

Your T&C may vary in Australia, but I assume it at least has this same clause as part of it.

Edited by cle-guy

I have one booked with loyalty discount (15% I believe) and no 123 does not apply.

I booked a suite, so mathematically, I'm better off keeping the 15% discount versus the value of the drink package and using the extra savings to buy a package or my drinks as I go.

I think it is quite fair that they apply the policy and restrictions of the promotion.

Your T&C may vary in Australia, but I assume it at least has this same clause as part of it.

Thanks...we booked using a US TA so the same clauses would apply. I just find it interesting re how their promotions work...and one would think that they would want to keep people loyal to their line by offering them a discount and the perk? This cruise we booked was at a good price - but I think that is really due to the timing of the cruise being a period where they have issues filling the ship (non school holidays)...and also the fact as I have read on this boards, bookings have been a bit slow for a number of salings/particular months - so why not offer the perk to people who are prepared to book on that sailing? At the end of the day, the discount works out better for us...I just found it odd that Celebrity would say pick one or the other for a sailing which they are trying to fill....as they run the risk of me choosing to cancel the entire booking....not saying I would but I could if I felt really strongly about it :( PS - am not starting a debate, I am just expressing my view...we are seeing a lot of offers here in Australia with the number of ships coming down and I just think that lines should really be working to keep customers loyal rather than alienating loyal customers?:cool:

Edited by SunnyinDubai

Thing is the talk of empty cabins is mostly a myth. At least for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean

Ships are sailing at capacity and above, and actually slightly higher than they sailed before. 104% occupancy last quarter per their statutory regulatory filings with the SEC for their Shareholders. Last year it was 102% and year before 103%

Doubling up on perks is called "stacking" and it's quite common, at least in the USA, for merchants and companies to not allow such activity.

Conceptually it may be possible to stack enough perks and promotions that the line actually PAYS you to cruise, get a 15% cabin discount, get the 123 perk, get the Book on board OBC, get Shareholder credit OBC, get OBC from TA, and all of a sudden, free cruise.

This is kind of why they make you pick one or the other and don't allow many to be combined.

That and that they are trying to make a profit too. :D

As lines are sailing ships full to over capacity, it's no longer in their interest to reward loyalty so much as they need to find ways to draw more money out of the pockets of those who do cruise. Full ships mean they turned people away who wanted on, so losing a few disgruntled loyal folks will simply give space to those who couldn't get on.

So they carefully plain promotions and perks and how they relate to the overall sales of the ship.

Edited by cle-guy

Thing is the talk of empty cabins is mostly a myth. At least for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean

Ships are sailing at capacity and above, and actually slightly higher than they sailed before. 104% occupancy last quarter per their statutory regulatory filings with the SEC for their Shareholders. Last year it was 102% and year before 103%

Doubling up on perks is called "stacking" and it's quite common, at least in the USA, for merchants and companies to not allow such activity.

Conceptually it may be possible to stack enough perks and promotions that the line actually PAYS you to cruise, get a 15% cabin discount, get the 123 perk, get the Book on board OBC, get Shareholder credit OBC, get OBC from TA, and all of a sudden, free cruise.

This is kind of why they make you pick one or the other and don't allow many to be combined.

That and that they are trying to make a profit too. :D

As lines are sailing ships full to over capacity, it's no longer in their interest to reward loyalty so much as they need to find ways to draw more money out of the pockets of those who do cruise. Full ships mean they turned people away who wanted on, so losing a few disgruntled loyal folks will simply give space to those who couldn't get on.

So they carefully plain promotions and perks and how they relate to the overall sales of the ship.

Lol - I love the statement you have re them paying us to cruise....however that would be unlikely here in Australia as we do not seem to get a lot of perks that would result in that occurring :D

As for them not filling ships, I am not sure about that for some of their cruises - it may be that a lot of cruises in the US are often at capacity but there are quite a lot of bargains here in Australia currently...in fact Celebrity is offering two perks for the Century sailings - which indicates that lines are having a hard time filling their ships here. Of course the peak periods are still expensive and will probably be at capacity but the ones outside these peak periods (and school holidays) are going at a good price...the one we booked is not quite in a peak period and def outside school holidays and there seems to be a number of cabins available..and given that there is less than 6 months to go for this cruise, I really do not see this ship filling up...but I could be wrong :o

As you said, loyalty does not mean much to these lines looking to get new cruisers and making that profit. :rolleyes:

What is the Loyalty Discount? What is the qualification to get one? Never heard of it before. Thank you!

It is for past celebrity cruisers...if you have sailed on celebrity and have joined their captains club, you can provide your membership number at the time of booking and get the discount. I think you need to have done at least one sailing with them to get the discount:)

It is for past celebrity cruisers...if you have sailed on celebrity and have joined their captains club, you can provide your membership number at the time of booking and get the discount. I think you need to have done at least one sailing with them to get the discount:)

Thank you for the info.

Have 22 X cruises and always go through a TA and never heard the term or been told of it. Even when I book a Future Cruise on-board, X's price cannot bet my TA's price. Other cruise lines call it basically the same, but I have never found a price using that discount that could beat the price I normally get from my TA.

• 5 months later...
Hi, Wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen to them...we booked a cruise in Jan which admittedly was a good price. We have now been advised that Celebrity will not offer the 123go offer as we have received a loyalty discount from them...our TA has kindly offered to make up the loss for us but I don't think that that is fair on them....has anyone else experienced this? :confused:

Hi, yes same here. In future I will not make the mistake of entering captains club loyalty number. A discount yes but not near as good as the 123 go offer.

I can't do anything about it now as have paid the full balance. Funny how The 123 deal was there until I entered number. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be a loyal customer with RCL I guess. I would have paid the extra and changed but not able to once balance paid in full. Oh well another lesson learned.

Since you've brought that up, I'm curious whether an open passages voucher counts as stacking with the 123 Go promotion? I ask because Celebrity actually did let me have both on this sailing although they have not in the past. :confused:

Cle-guy. How do they achieve 104% occupancy? Surely all cabins filled would be 100% so where do they put the other 4% which would equate to 100 pax on a S Class.

100% occupancy is based on two people per cabin. Sometimes there are three or four in the cabin, hence over 100%

Hi guys, I am not sure if its the same thing or not but we just booked a cruise for March, 2016 and we got the 123 promo and a captains club discount, we received a higher category of stateroom for a lower price. I didn't know if this was the same as the loyalty discount but wanted to mention it.

A discounted cabin is never combinable with 123Go - this includes residents, seniors, and loyalty discounts. However, group rates with a TA are combinable.

The one category upgrade for past guests is combinable with 123Go - it does not work for C1s, Fvs, or S1s, though.

If you want the best deal for you, you need to talk to someone who knows how Celebrity's perks work, and not just book it online.

Passages are also combinable with 123Go. If you book a Cruise Now with a set ship and sail date, that has one 123Go perk built in with it, and you can move it to another cruise. It is a far better deal than a Cruise Later.

This may explain some of the problem I am having with pricing when trying to book a cruise. I log in, (we are Elite) and then as I go through the booking the price jumps all over the place. First it gives me a discount, like usual for loyalty level, and then at the end I get a much higher figure. I could not work out why, but this may be what is happening. They are locking me out at the final hurdle, but the system has trouble at the start from distinguishing the difference for this combo promotion.

I know some of the price jump along the way is the fees and taxes, and then the gratuities, but the price jump was much more.

I will try it again without my loyalty by not logging in and see what happens. I may be better off financially with the balcony instead of the concierge. I was trying to see what a concierge would cost but I couldn't get past this pricing going all over the place from screen to screen.

To the OP, that doesn't sound fair to the TA. They should have been clearly advised when they made the booking, or even for a quote, but it sounds like the system let them put yours through to start with and then made them look wrong later :mad: I don't mind having those conditions, as I totally see the cruise line's point, but make it clearer that the loyalty can't be combined. Don't let it give us a discount in one screen, and then take it away later!

Hi guys, I am not sure if its the same thing or not but we just booked a cruise for March, 2016 and we got the 123 promo and a captains club discount, we received a higher category of stateroom for a lower price. I didn't know if this was the same as the loyalty discount but wanted to mention it.

Now that is unusual, to get both the 123go and Captains Club Discount. Do you know the amount of the CC discount, did you also get the 1 category CC upgrade?

Now that is unusual, to get both the 123go and Captains Club Discount. Do you know the amount of the CC discount, did you also get the 1 category CC upgrade?

Btw, Some people use the term "loyalty discount", I think they must be meaning CC discount, or are they 2 separate things.

Tried today to book an Alaskan cruise using the Captains club discount...it saved us $500 pp, but wouldn't give us the 123. So it was a wash, considering tips , $200 OBC and drink package prices....

So we opted not to book and wait for a Tuesday special if it arises

My issue with this is the fact that the Celebrity website ONLY shows you the Captain's Club discounted price when you are searching. In order to see the price with the current promo you have to enter that promo code (eubevgr123go for example) and the site will then give you both the discounted price and the price with the applicable promo. If you don't log in, it only gives you the price with the current promo.

It can't be that hard (OK, I know I'm talking about the Celebrity website :rolleyes:) to show you both the discounted price AND the price with the current promo without needing to enter the code.

Btw, Some people use the term "loyalty discount", I think they must be meaning CC discount, or are they 2 separate things.

I use the term loyalty discount as a generic sort of term which is possibly confusing. I guess it could be other loyalty programs like visa etc. I meant Captain's Club in my post.

I do think Celebrity's confusing system could be made simpler by showing the different prices and maybe a radio button to choose which offer we want to choose. The drink packages are not worth the same to me as they might be to other customers and we should be able to see clearly our pricing totals and what offers are included.

So if you don't log in then when you book the trip how do you then link it to your "my celebrity" account?

Edited by goodycruising

I've begun to realize that the Celebrity website is DELIBERATELY confusing. I decided to book an Alaskan cruise given the " special offer ". . No where did it say no 123.

Everywhere else it says cruises booked for after April , including Alaska qualify.

It's only after you book do you realize that the " special offer " ain't so special. It's just the price MINUS 123.

Needless to say, I didn't book the cruise,,,,...