Does any one know it's it safe to use your credit cards while in the port of calls

richardAnn

Does any one know it's it safe to use your credit cards while in the port of calls

Every once in a while a credit card is going to be compromised. There seems to be no way around it. But it doesn’t mean not to use the card overseas and certainly doesn’t need to be a problem.

We use one card for cruising and a second card as a backup. We have a separate card for all of our “regular” charges such as the gardener, electricity, life insurance, telephone, Medicare supplement, pest control, etc. We don’t use this card for any other purchases so the probability of it being compromised is much less.

I have found that the best protection against credit card fraud is a good credit rating. With a good credit score, the credit card bank will usually believe you about improper charges, while if you have a poor credit score this may prove to be more difficult.

I believe that travelling with credit cards is far safer than carrying a wad of cash.

Scott & Karen

We use cash in Caribbean ports, but then we hardly buy anything but a coke or occasional lunch, maybe a cheap souvenir, and pay for any (private) tours in cash.

I was stung by what I suspect was the Target card fraud. I got all my money back, but it was a hassle identifying all the false charge and then, after getting the new card, setting up all the bills we pay automatically with that card.

The new credit card issued us has the chip technology, so supposedly is safer.

We have used ATM's in Europe with no problems, but use credit cards there rarely. I always call the credit card companies to let them know where we are traveling.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

How do suppose those of us who actually LIVE in ports of call would manage our daily lives without credit cards????:D

In my experience one is more likely to encounter problems if you are using the card "away from home" regardless of where your home might be. :-)

How do suppose those of us who actually LIVE in ports of call would manage our daily lives without credit cards????:D

Agree--but two things to add.

I live int he tourism mecca of the world--near Disney World. Locals know how to avoid things like skimmers at ATM's and gas stations, and which places you are more likely to get ripped off at. (We also know where to buy gas at $.50 or more per gallon cheaper than the stations on the tourist corridors.)

Scammers are often more likely to steal credit card info from a tourist, as they possibly won't realize they have been compromised until they get home, and are less likely to press charges or make a police report.

Without those reports there is seldom an investigation which could connect the dots and lead back to the thief.

I would also say that there are some countries and regions where you are far more likely to get ripped off. Most of the Caribbean, Africa, and Russia are well known for their scams on tourists, as well as certain major cities like Venice, Barcelona, Rome, Paris, London, etc.

Edited by ducklite

I would also say that there are some countries and regions where you are far more likely to get ripped off. Most of the Caribbean, Africa, and Russia are well known for their scams on tourists, as well as certain major cities like Venice, Barcelona, Rome, Paris, London, etc.

But those are the very cities where you are more likely to be pick-pocketed / dipped. Cash is not retrievable, credit is.

Obviously I would agree that you should use some caution - notify your credit card company of your travels, don't let the card out of your sight, if the place seems dodgy just don't eat / buy there etc. Chip and pin cards are considerably safer, but not perfect.

Interestingly chip and pin was in use in New Zealand back in the mid 1990s, at all supermarket tills and shops (EPOS) as well as ATMs. And I hear that the US is starting to catchy up :P

(No offence, intended, just a tease, as the US is 'usually', but not always, ahead on technological matters!)

But those are the very cities where you are more likely to be pick-pocketed / dipped. Cash is not retrievable, credit is.

Obviously I would agree that you should use some caution - notify your credit card company of your travels, don't let the card out of your sight, if the place seems dodgy just don't eat / buy there etc. Chip and pin cards are considerably safer, but not perfect.

Interestingly chip and pin was in use in New Zealand back in the mid 1990s, at all supermarket tills and shops (EPOS) as well as ATMs. And I hear that the US is starting to catchy up :P

(No offence, intended, just a tease, as the US is 'usually', but not always, ahead on technological matters!)

Go back and read what I wrote.

I take cash for small purchases. Maybe $100-200 split between my husband and myself--certainly nothing to go crazy over if it's lost or stolen. I use a credit card for large purchases--art, fine jewelry, hotels, meals in nice restaurants.

I certainly don't take the contents of my safe with me when I go ashore. I take what I will need and a few dollars of "CYA" money, and one credit card.

I try to use AmEx as they offer the best protection, can be replaced in 24 hours almost anywhere in the world, and don't put fraud holds on your card because you try to make an $18 purchase at UnderArmor on I-Drive in Orlando like Chase will. :rolleyes:

Ok, we do understand that some of us travel more extensively then others. But when we read some of these posts we just shake our heads. So let me be very clear and concise. It is nearly impossible (and I emphasize impossible) to do any type of land based travel without using credit cards. Those that claim to travel and never use a credit card obviously do not do a lot of travel around the world.

As to Ducklite's comment about using AMEX we have a love/hate with AMEX...having had their card since 1977. AMEX charges 2.7% on every transaction done in a foreign currency (the only exception is their expensive Platinum card). While we agree that AMEX is a great company if one has to file a claim (or loses their card) we refuse to pay their absurd 2.7%. There are quite a few other cards (MC and Visa) that do not have any foreign exchange fee. Another issue is that many European restaurants and merchants will simply not accept AMEX (because of their high fees to merchants). We also recently noticed that AMEX does not cover Collision Damage Waivers in New Zealand....while both our MC and Visa do have that covered.

Hank

I did read what you wrote, and I'm sorry if it appeared (as I had quoted you) that I was responding only to your posts. Other posters have intimated that they carry more considerable amounts of cash (for long tours for two or more that can be a considerable sum for starters). My point is that one has to be vigilant with cash or credit cards, and the cities you mentioned are notorious for crimes against tourists in various forms. We also carry some cash, in small amounts, and often get local currency from a bank ATM which we then carry and spend, but for 'planned' spending such as local tours or expensive meals we feel that we are safer and more protected by using credit (never debit) cards.

I use a mix of credit cards and cash when traveling and never had a problem with a credit card being compromised. I've had a couple of cards AND a bank account compromised in the U.S. over the past few years - with that logic, I may as well stop using credit cards at home too.

I may be extra careful using an American credit card in Russia these days, since organized identity crime is on the rise there (last time I was in Moscow and St. P, it was 9 and 7 years ago, respectively, and very few places accepted credit cards, so back then it was a moot point). But since I finally got me a chip&pin card, I'm not too concerned either way.

Before I depart for overseas my wife & I always go to our Banks, notify them what part of the world we will be in, for how long, departure dates & arrival home date.

We also arrange with the Banks to get foreign currency for main ports that we will visit, and after our trip if we have some currencies over we put it away (may use it again for a revisit of that country - I have Singapore Dollars & Pacific Francs in my cupboard at the moment)

If the country your visiting is a bit dodgy, then I would opt to purchase sufficient foreign currency beforehand, thus eliminating the need to visit Banks or ATM's in that port.

Personally, we have never experienced any problem by doing that.

Illyria - you might be interested to know that here in Australia, signatures on Credit Cards is now finished. About a month ago, all the Banks now require everyone to use a 4 digit PIN only.

Some people I believe have trouble remembering PIN numbers, and try to disguise their PIN on a piece of paper showing a phone number with PIN disguised in that number, however, I found a simple solution by doing the following.

I always remembered the 'street number' of my parents home many years ago, then I remembered street number of a relative.....now the 4 digit number is so easy to remember without writing it down, etc. (in fact you could write it down, eg. street number of our previous house & street number of Uncle Harry, eg. 3864 or 9120.

Before I depart for overseas my wife & I always go to our Banks, notify them what part of the world we will be in, for how long, departure dates & arrival home date.

We also arrange with the Banks to get foreign currency for main ports that we will visit, and after our trip if we have some currencies over we put it away (may use it again for a revisit of that country - I have Singapore Dollars & Pacific Francs in my cupboard at the moment)

If the country your visiting is a bit dodgy, then I would opt to purchase sufficient foreign currency beforehand, thus eliminating the need to visit Banks or ATM's in that port.

Personally, we have never experienced any problem by doing that.

FYI--There is a new version of the PF coming out and after late this year, the old ones will no longer be accepted.

Ducklite - thanks for the info on Pacific Francs being replaced. I just did a quick check to see what Pacific francs I had on hand, and its a very small amount, so it can go in the garbage bin later.

I will definitely hang onto my Singapore Dollars for the visit there in November this year, and I also have USD's on hand, for us in Dili, East Timor (they only use US dollars) - we are hoping to buy some souvenirs there on our trip visiting there next year on P&O Jewel.

I have a pre-paid credit card that will only allow transactions to the limit of what I have already paid into the card. After the limit is reached, the card will not operate. My card has only $500 on it. My daughter will also get one for our upcoming trip - same limit - $500. That gives us $1,000 on those two separate cards. That is all we can lose. And we`d have to lose control of both cards to lose the whole amount.

We have cards with larger limits that we keep in the ship safe. That would be in case of emergencies. Generally, I think $1,000 on two separate cards will get us through.

Edited by wassup4565

The only times I have had credit card problems is in the USA.

The same goes for me. But I think this is simply a question of relative exposure.

I use (multiple) credit cards on a daily basis in the USA. But I only use them a few times/days per year in foreign countries. I don't take the fact that I've yet to be hacked in such countries as meaning credit card usage there is "safe" or "safer." It just means I haven't been hit YET. :-)

Edited by mtwingcpa