New rules for C&A balcony discount- single cruisers

dixieva

Recently I booked a cruise for us and my sister who sails as a solo cruiser. She noticed that she didn't get her full $325 Diamond discount for her JS. She actually got $80 less- $245. So I called the Crown and Anchor desk this morning and yes they now have new rules for single cruisers. They do not get the full amount of the discount as this is now for double occupancy only!

I think this is really wrong! Now she not only pays double (in most cases- but I can understand that they would prefer to have two people in a cabin) but now does not get her full discount. Which she earned as a solo cruiser!

I voiced my opinion with the C & A rep who said she would pass it along. Like it will do any good but I wanted to make it known that I thought this was unfair.

If you pay 200% you will get the full discount.

On RCI she has always paid double. She pays port fees for one but the fare is double. Prior to this booking she has gotten the full discount but not this time. They told me this changed 6 to 8 months ago.

I did speak to the crown and anchor rep today and was told unless the cabin is booked double occupancy the discount is pro-rated.

On RCI she has always paid double. She pays port fees for one but the fare is double. Prior to this booking she has gotten the full discount but not this time. They told me this changed 6 to 8 months ago.

I did speak to the crown and anchor rep today and was told unless the cabin is booked double occupancy the discount is pro-rated.

You have to make sure your paying 200% if you do a mock booking online it will give you the full amount. I have done this. I'm paying 200% for my oasis TA a I get the full amount.

Edited by Bosjoe

Hmm- All I know is what the Crown and Anchor rep just told me this morning and that is you get a pro-rated discount unless the cabin has been booked as double occupancy. It is not based on the rate a single cruiser pays.

Interesting- wonder which is correct??

I just noticed that your cruise is coming up soon. Maybe you booked it before the rules were changed? My sister is getting the full discount on our cruise in April 2015 (which was booked some time ago) but not on our April 2016 cruise which was just booked a few weeks ago.

Edited by dixieva

Hmm- All I know is what the Crown and Anchor rep just told me this morning and that is you get a pro-rated discount unless the cabin has been booked as double occupancy. It is not based on the rate a single cruiser pays.

I just noticed that your cruise is coming up soon. Maybe you booked it before the rules were changed? My sister is getting the full discount on our cruise in April 2015 (which was booked some time ago) but not on our April 2016 cruise which was just booked a few weeks ago.

I would try again and speak to a different rep. Maybe go through the D+ desk this time.

Edited by cruisenfever

I booked a couple of weeks ago. If I try to do another booking today it gives me the full amount off.

I would take the cruise that you did not get the full amount off and do a mock booking online, to compare.

It looks like they took 25% off the full amount. See if she is paying 175. If so then this is correct with the new rules.

My mock booking I just did for Oasis TA. Paying 200%. I am only diamond so $300

Cruise Fare: $1,798.00

Taxes, fees and port expenses: $72.98

Discount: ($300.00)

Per Person Total: $1,570.98

Edited by Bosjoe

if it was pro rated and you were paying 200% then the discount would be half.

Ok mystery solved!

I called C & A again. And this time it was explained to me that if a single cruiser pays double then yes you get the full discount. Has nothing to do with double occupancy. BUT I had forgotten that we booked under a BOGO sale so this time she is paying 150% so the discount is not the full amount.

So now I understand it- still don't like it but it is what it is!

Thanks everyone!

Ok mystery solved!

I called C & A again. And this time it was explained to me that if a single cruiser pays double then yes you get the full discount. Has nothing to do with double occupancy. BUT I had forgotten that we booked under a BOGO sale so this time she is paying 150% so the discount is not the full amount.

Thanks everyone!

What doesn't make sense is that if two people book the same stateroom, under BOGOHO, they get the full discount. Seems unfair to the single cruiser.

Ok mystery solved!

Thanks everyone!

Do a search on bogo on here, I thought people were getting the full amount still.

What doesn't make sense is that if two people book the same stateroom, under BOGOHO, they get the full discount. Seems unfair to the single cruiser.

The voice of reason. Thanks for sympathizing Bob. They are doing funny math on the FCC OBC, as well, even when paying 200%.

Do a search on bogo on here, I thought people were getting the full amount still.

I saw one thread where the OP fought to get it and eventually did. Otherwise, no, because of BOGOHO.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

yes very unfair. when I converted my reservations to the BOGOHO sale I had some (not all) of my OBC reduced. It sucked but considering all the money I saved with BOGOHO I really didn't fight it.

I spoke to a C&A rep briefly and was getting no where. I will write them when the cruise gets closer. The thing is, we pay the same price for the NCC that comes with the offer of OBC and we pay the same price as 2 under BOGOHO. Also, no where in either the old NCC format terms and conditions or the new, does it describe this reduction in OBC for single occupancy will take place. I find it bizarre that they seem to be taking multiple shots at solos with their practices. I get the supplemental fare. I don't get the reduction in benefits on top of it.

I also booked one of the new SB studios on Quantum. At full fare for a solo occupant my OBC was reduced and the cabin does not qualify for double points either. I can see the points thing, but, again was taking a hit on the OBC so I quickly changed the booking to a regular balcony for only a small amount more.

I booked a cabin for my MIL, for an Oasis cruise while onboard the Grandeur. They had the BOGOHO deal she did not get the full D+ balcony discount. I didn't argue with the LA because I figured it was just a booking number.

I changed it to the May 2 Quantum. Got her an SB (studio) balcony, she only gets half the balcony credit, and single points.

How does the single traveler book a cabin using the BOGO sale?

To my knowledge, Royal's website applies the BOGOHO sale automatically, even to singles. When the BOGOHO first started, there were problems with pricing for singles, but I seem to recall that they were fixed within a day or two.

Royal's new policies regarding solo cruisers are the reason I won't be sailing solo with them any more. All my Royal cruises will be with a friend or family member from now on. Kind of a bummer too, 'cause I'll be Diamond after my next cruise and it would be nice to be able to take advantage of some of the perks when I'm by myself. Oh well, I'll be Elite on Princess even faster with Royal no longer an option for my solo trips :cool: