Recommendations Needed for Flights

DH and I are researching flights from LAX (Los Angeles) for a 7 day cruise we are taking in June 2015 (Barcelone to Rome).

We decided the cheapest would be to do a roundtrip to Barcelona and then just connect from Rome to Venice (by train) back to Barcelona (by flight) to come back home. (anyone feel otherwise?)

Anywho, he feels strongly about NOT having any lay overs in Russia (rolling my eyes)... so the only other options would end up costing about $1400-$1600 per person (rountrip)! A layover in Russia would cost about $900 roundtrip but I cant get him to budge.

I've been looking on Kayak. Anyone have any other websites they recommend?

Watch your baggage allowances on any flight within Europe. Extra fees can quickly remove perceived savings. The airline Vueling is actually good for BCN (Barcelona) flights and is part of the Iberia/British Airways group.

You are most likely going to need an extra night in Barcelona if choosing this option.

Most airlines allow 'open-jaw' booking now and booking to one destination and from another is not always cost prohibitive.

While I understand wanting to get to Venice on this trip, the Venice airport is limited and taking the train over to Milan and overnighting the night before a flight from Milan Malpensa (MXP) can bring major savings. There is a Sheraton Hotel right in the airport terminal and it can be found at a good discount.

The highest growth airline in Europe now is Norwegian. They sell one way fares, but you are out way to early to find these fares. They fly new 787s and have had some problems due to Boeing, but are working hard to resolve these.

• 3 weeks later...

I was also tempted this year by the $900 flight (through Russia), but decided otherwise. 1400 RT is not bad really, we paid 1700 this year from PHX. Keep look at the options the other cruisers recommended. But I like your idea of taking the train to Venice, just give yourself plenty of time to make those connections.

Get creative like a separate RT flight to Chicago or JFK, then the European segment of the trip. Are Lingus has good prices to Europe from these two cities.

I agree! You can book a "multi city" ticket on Aer Lingus (we're also doing it for BOS/BCN & FCO/BOS sandwiching 2 transatlantic Fall & Spring cruises). Check out fares from Boston, Chicago or JFK. They all stop in Dublin. I would strongly suggest an extra day or two in Barcelona. Of course, you need to simultaneously check fares from LA to ORD/BOS/JFK.

Good Luck!