Dolphin deck on Ruby Princess

domino1230

We're thinking about booking a cruise on Princess, and we're thinking of a mini-suite near the front of the ship on the Ruby Princess. Can anyone tell me whether we will be looking directly onto the tops of the lifeboats from a balcony on that deck? I really want to be able to look down to the water, but it doesn't appear by the picture that we could see the water below us. Thanks.:)

We're thinking about booking a cruise on Princess, and we're thinking of a mini-suite near the front of the ship on the Ruby Princess. Can anyone tell me whether we will be looking directly onto the tops of the lifeboats from a balcony on that deck? I really want to be able to look down to the water, but it doesn't appear by the picture that we could see the water below us. Thanks.:)

You wont see them on the Ruby. They're well and tucked underneath. You'll be able to see the water just fine, plus most of the balconies are glass fronted as well.

I also heard that those balconies are open above. Any problem with people looking down into our balcony?

I don't like it, but others don't seem to mind. I prefer the fully covered balconies on the Emerald deck minis, but they are aft so that my not appeal to you. :)

I also heard that those balconies are open above. Any problem with people looking down into our balcony?
All Dolphin deck balconies are completely uncovered and exposed to the sun, wind, rain, etc. My least favorite cabins/balconies but others enjoy them.

• 2 months later...

Yes they are exposed, but we found it didn't bother us at all (though you're more at risk in the elements on an Alaska itinerary). But We feel just as exposed to upper balconies when we sit at the railing on our Carib balcony. Enjoy looking directly down into the water but also up at the stars at night. Speaking of exposed, those upper balcony-dwellers should remember that when they look down on us, we look up at them so keep those robes and sun-dresses well secured. :rolleyes:

You will be fully exposed to the elements, there is no doubt about that. You will also be visible to the people who are immediately above you. The dividers between the cabins provide a screen from being seen by people who are 5 or 6 cabins behind you or more. So if you are towards the front of the ship, most of the cabins behind you will not be able to see you. However the cabins directly above you certainly will. But as noted by a prior poster, people on Caribe deck balconies who sit or stand near the rail are just as visible. In my experience, people tend to spend more time at the rail than anywhere else, so most balconies are just as visible as those on Dolphin deck.

It certainly is a personal choice, but I get a bit amused by the attention this issue gets here. People on Royal will go to the Piazza for a dance lesson with people standing at the rails on decks above them staring down. But some of those same people fear the notion of going out onto a Dolphin deck balcony and having people look down at them. Or people will go to the International Cafe on a Grand Class ship, order an espresso, get a dessert, sit at a table and people on decks above them will be looking down at them enjoying their food. These same people, if they took that food back to their cabin and sat on their Dolphin deck balcony, would be fearful of being seen by others. Does that make any sense? I honestly don't understand that.

We were in a forward mini on the Dolphin deck on the Ruby last February. I was worried about the lifeboats as well, but I shouldn't have - they were well tucked in and didn't obscure the view at all.

Prior to minis we had always been in the more touted Caribe deck. Personally, I like the Dolphin balcony better even though it is smaller. When at the rail and you look straight down on Caribe, you look at the folks in the balcony below. Look straight down from Dolphin, you look at water. One of our favorite pastimes in the Caribbean, while enjoying snacks and drinks on our balcony, is looking out for those amazing flying fish. On the Dolphin, we could spot them easily while relaxing in our chairs.

We weren't worried about others looking down on us. If we want privacy we retreat to our cabin. Honestly, if privacy was an issue to us I don't think that cruising would be the first vacation of choice!

The only thing we noticed by being so far forward was that the bridge is extremely close and sometimes shaded us from the sun or blocked our view of the stars. But we were the second cabin in, the first mini after the family suite - so we may have been affected more than others not quite so far forward.

All that being said, for Alaska we have chosen a covered balcony all the way aft for our Alaska cruise so as to be protected from the elements.

We have sailed on the Grand, Star, Crown, Emerald, and Ruby all on the Dolphin Deck in a mini-suite and we love these cabins and the open balcony. They are roomier than other balconies (other than a suite). Even though they are open, we never feel our private space is invaded. Also, it can be fun to see who else is out and about during sail away. That's when there is the most activity.

I have had some great conversations with people below me on Dolphin deck balconies while standing at the railing of my Caribe deck balcony!!

However, if I were to book a minisuite, it would have to be one of the few on Emerald deck. Not that I care about being observed by those above me, but I like the protection from weather and too much sun.

Edited by flamomo

• 3 months later...

The only thing we noticed by being so far forward was that the bridge is extremely close and sometimes shaded us from the sun or blocked our view of the stars. But we were the second cabin in, the first mini after the family suite - so we may have been affected more than others not quite so far forward.

All that being said, for Alaska we have chosen a covered balcony all the way aft for our Alaska cruise so as to be protected from the elements.

Hi! Sorry to hijack this thread, but since this is the first and only mention of the family suite, I was hoping you could help us .. we just booked the Family Suite on the Ruby, which your mini was next to. Is it right beneath the bridge? If so, does that mean we can't see the sky? If so, does that also mean others can't see into our balcony? Is there anything else that can obscure our view somehow? Also, did you hear any major noise .. esp. as the ship is docking or un-ducking? :confused:

TIA!

Hi! Sorry to hijack this thread, but since this is the first and only mention of the family suite, I was hoping you could help us .. we just booked the Family Suite on the Ruby, which your mini was next to. Is it right beneath the bridge? If so, does that mean we can't see the sky? If so, does that also mean others can't see into our balcony? Is there anything else that can obscure our view somehow? Also, did you hear any major noise .. esp. as the ship is docking or un-ducking? :confused:

TIA!

Yeah, pretty much. Here's a photo from Sapphire Princess' family suite balcony looking up. It's pretty much the same on Ruby Princess.

6490363221_9314256457_b.jpgFamily Suite - bridge above by RickEk, on Flickr

TIA!

I'm sure you will be very happy in the Family Suite. Although you are somewhat beneath the bridge you will still be able to see the night sky and enjoy the sun. Others will be able to see onto your balcony on the Dolphin Deck so if that is a serious issue for you, you might want to reconsider your cabin. However, unless you are doing something scandalous, I highly doubt anyone will have any real interest to look at you for any more than a cursory glance.

The only noise that we can recall was the sound of the anchor when we were tendered at a port. You can hear it being lowered and raised. The noise didn't disturb us at all (we actually thought it was pretty cool) as it never occurred when we were sleeping.

Just on a side note, when standing at the rail on our balcony, I caught a glimpse of the people from the family suite at their rail and I have to admit I felt a momentary twinge of envy. I know that unless we are extremely lucky with an upgrade, we will never, ever be able to afford a suite. Enjoy!!!