Web problem in europe

MaisonRose

I live in France part of the year and when I try to sign in to hollandamerica.com it is automatically switched to the German website so at someone's suggestion I cleared my iPad internet history but it makes no difference.

Called HA in the the USA and got no results (reservations was the only dept. I could reach and the clerk hadn't a clue and said she couldn't get through to any tech people).

I assume this is an effort to force Europeans to book in Euro currency but of course there are lots of Americans living abroad.

The upshot: can't check in or print docs.

Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this?

Thanks, Susan

We have the same problem.

You cannot get onto the US site unless you can change your IP address. Use Google to find a site that allows you to change your IP address to USA.

Edited by RollieUK

Google VPN. There are many free and paid providers out there. VPNs provide a number of advantages other than providing a changed IP, including enhanced security at public wifi hotspots. I use SurfEasy, but there are many others.

Has anyone else figured out how to deal with this?
What happens when you sign in (assuming your HAL account has a registered address in the US)?

If I (here in the UK) sign in someone with a US-based account, the website seems to switch everything to the US site, including prices, etc.

We think this is all part of the HAL "conspiracy" which forces Europeans to book HAL through European agencies at oft higher prices then are available to those of us in North America. We have an Aussie friend who cruises HAL over 100 days a year,,,and he books all his cruises using a Canadian address (which belongs to a friend).

As to accessing the HAL web site from Europe, as somebody else posted, you may need to fool the internet into thinking you are located in North America. This can be done through various means such as using "Hotspot Shield" or using the open source Tor Browser where you can change the settings to a North American IP.

Hank

Been trying all day to book on the HAL website (from Oregon) and keep getting error messages. Now of course it's too late to call :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, perhaps the web site is trying to tell you something :). We never book via HAL's own web site because we can always save money (sometimes thousands) by booking through certain Cruise Agencies. And they web sites work :).

Hank

I would normally agree about a TA only this is a last min special and a price any better would be free :)

So inspite of my saying never book direct this time I will....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, good luck (hope you get on the cruise). We would still probably contact one of our favored Cruise Agencies and ask if they can match the "special" price plus kick-in free gratuities or perhaps an OBC. They would probably just put us on hold, call the cruise line, and we would have answer before we got off the phone.

Hank

did you clear your cookies for the HAL site or just the history?

History didn't work but I went back and did COOKIES. clearing them got me to the HAL USA website.

I was considering this fix, which I spent all yesterday reviewing to see if I can access my Netfliks account here in France:

It is called a VPN. meaning a virtual private network which can mask your location and you can " place" your IP address in the USA, or other country for that matter. It also has security features that help when you are using an open foreign cafe wi fi.

Anyway, I can now check my cruise details and access my ExpressDocs.

Thanks, LHT28

Susan