on YTD, can I got back to MDR later for dessert?

LoriSan

If you went out to dinner in a restaurant at home and didn't order dessert when it was included in the price, would you feel you could go back to the restaurant later that night to get dessert? To me, what you are asking is basically what I just asked you.

If you went out to dinner in a restaurant at home and didn't order dessert when it was included in the price, would you feel you could go back to the restaurant later that night to get dessert? To me, what you are asking is basically what I just asked you.

This is not the same thing at all. On a cruise you are not paying a set price per meal. You can eat as many meals as you want as often as you want. You could go to breakfast or lunch in the dining room multiple times too.

I see no issue whatsoever with going back later to get dessert if that's your desire. You paid for the cruise fare, so as long as the cruise line allows this it's your prerogative!

I will second the comment that on some ships they will not allow dessert to go.

While I haven't had a meal in the MDR and then returned that same night for dessert I have had an early dinner in the Steakhouse or on the Lido and then went to the MDR late for just dessert and coffee. This was really less work for the MDR staff and the steakhouse was well tipped from us.

I have also seen where they have not let food leave the MDR. I found this so dumb. You can go to lido and take food any where you want so what is the big deal about taking food form the MDR. :confused:

You can eat as many meals as you want as often as you want. You could go to breakfast or lunch in the dining room multiple times too.

I see no issue whatsoever with going back later to get dessert if that's your desire. You paid for the cruise fare, so as long as the cruise line allows this it's your prerogative!

Ding Ding!! Agree 100%

Just my two cents

Since the MDR only offers a handful of options, I would much rather go to the buffet for dessert. Soooo many to choose from.

its the same stuff as in the dining room. (its all mindset too(

Besides pastries in the dining room, they also have sherbert and an assortment of hard ice cream (like butter pecan). The buffet only has soft serve ice cream.

Are you under the assumption that YTD is in the Lido dining room? If not, why would you even mention the desserts on the Lido. YTD is in the second dining room that some ships have or in a specific portion of the dining room if there is only one dining room on the ship.

If you are really eating your dinner on the Lido deck, and they did not assign you a MDR table, then there may not be a table available for you when you go back. If you are on YTD in a dining room other than the Lido, then you probably could go back later but would have to take the tables available or wait for a table.

This is one of the most confusing posts I've ever read. There is no "Lido dining room" unless you are calling the buffet a dining room. You are correct that YTD is always in 1 of the 2 MDRs (or a certain section on ships with only 1 MDR). However, there is no YTD on Lido or in a Lido dining room or whatever you are referring to. YTD individuals are never assigned a table, it can be different every night you go. Only traditional dining passengers are assigned to a specific table.

I'm still scratching my head over this one. :confused:

To the OP, I'd probably just ask for my dessert to go, but as others have mentioned, this isn't always allowed. I wonder why?

This is one of the most confusing posts I've ever read. I'm still scratching my head over this one. :confused:

To the OP, I'd probably just ask for my dessert to go, but as others have mentioned, this isn't always allowed. I wonder why?

agreed on the first point.

on the second, it is reported that it is for 'food safety' reasons. in other words, they don't want to give you cheese, have it left out overnight, then have you eat it in the morning and get sick, then blame it on them. i've seen that explanation posted a few times. how exactly that's any different than room service or taking food back from lido is beyond me, and i've never encountered this myself (and i have taken the cheese plate back to the room!) but it's the only semi-plausible explanation that's been offered, that i have read :o

Edited by falkcor

For those who get desserts to go to eat later, how did that go with ice cream? :p

I know you're being funny, but I'm gonna answer anyway.

A few years ago I couldn't even think about eating dessert at the Steakhouse and asked if I could get the Chocolate Sampler to go. I was able to but w/out the ice cream.

Okay. Now back to the debate of the emoticons!:D:p

JMO, I wouldn't go back to the dining room twice in the same evening for dessert. And that is just me.

Why not go to the coffee shop for desserts if you really would like to have something? Their sweets look delicious! I am going to try the carrot cake one of these days (maybe I will skip dinner!), I have heard others say it is wonderful!

IMO, that is a little inconsiderate -- two sets of table service, glasses, etc. Seems like it is making extra work for the already over-worked MDR staff.

Just get your dessert to go. ;)

I have no problem making service staff work to serve me? After all, isn't that what they get paid to do? They will be working their tables from the start of their shift, until the end. They will do that regardless of what a person eats.

One probably could, but this would be inconsiderate to your fellow passengers' dining experience and would cause extra work for the staff. Usually the people who insist that it is their right to be able to do something like this are the same ones who complain about the slow MDR service.

Yet another reason I always opt for early seating....

There is no "Lido dining room" unless you are calling the buffet a dining room.

I would call the enclosed area mid-to-aft on Lido deck that holds the buffet and some other food stations a "dining room". It is a room where the primary purpose is to procure food and to dine on it. On the Valor it's named "Rosie's Restaurant". I'm sure it's called something different on every other Carnival ship.

Of course, it's not the same as the dining rooms on decks 3 and 4. There's never any assigned seating, no waiters, and only the most minimal of dress codes.