Mr. Cahill, Tampa wants a Spirit class ship!

crusinpsychRN

Yes, a larger contingent of Spirit Class would be perfect and be able to satisfy the needs of many ports not just Tampa!

With all the ship swapping that the Carnival Corp is doing (Carnival Australia etc.) we can steal a couple from HAL, repaint them and stick a funnel on them. ;) Facus-izing them would be another issue.:confused:

That's true. A lot of the hubbub was as the cruise industry moves to building only very large ships, Tampa will be left out in the cold. I prefer to sail Spirit size ships, like the layout (translation: hard to get lost!).

The estimates I've read about hover around 1.5 billion to raise the bridge. In today's prices the cost of a new build cruise ship in the Spirit class size range is around 500 million.

Meet Carnival or Royal Caribbean or Norwegian half way and agree to pay for half of the ship if it is based out of Tampa for a certain number of years/sailings/etc.

This would be far less expensive and not disrupt any road traffic one bit.

The local area still gets the benefit of the money spent related to travel and supplying the cruise ship. This is still better than not having cruise ships based there.

Edited by oysterdam

The estimates I've read about hover around 1.5 billion to raise the bridge. In today's prices the cost of a new build cruise ship in the Spirit class size range is around 500 million.

Meet Carnival or Royal Caribbean or Norwegian half way and agree to pay for half of the ship if it is based out of Tampa for a certain number of years/sailings/etc.

This would be far less expensive and not disrupt any road traffic one bit.

The local area still gets the benefit of the money spent related to travel and supplying the cruise ship. This is still better than not having cruise ships based there.

The issue with the cost of the bridge is that it's not Tampa's bridge to worry about. First off its on the state and the state could probably care less if Florida got one more ship being we have so many and having to help pay for the ship they would probably pass. So if the state didn't want to offset the cost for a new ship. Then it would be on Pinellas and Manatee county to split the bill being the bridge connects those two counties and doesn't affect Tampa(Hilsbourough County) other then the size ships that can get to its port.

The only real option in my opinion is building the new port, but it would have to be somewhere like Tarpon Springs or New Port Richey which has the space and access to build something that these cruise lines would need. The only space in St. Pete to build is on the wrong side of the bridge, and Sarasota area seems a little too built up already to just put a port there.

Edited by theriac
sorry didn't realize you were from this area when I listed the counties and where tampa is

Well either the imagination or inspiration is available. LOL :) Long Beach doesn't need two doing the same itinerary.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Wouldn't argue with that however it must be making them money. If Tampa wants one they can have one but quit coveting the Miracle. That is the best Carnival ship we have on the west coast unlike you guys in Florida who can pretty much access all their ships.

Wouldn't argue with that however it must be making them money. If Tampa wants one they can have one but quit coveting the Miracle. That is the best Carnival ship we have on the west coast unlike you guys in Florida who can pretty much access all their ships.

Can't everyone go on all of their ships?;)

The NY fans feel your pain. Carnival has pretty much conceded the NY market to Royal and NCL with few sailings remaining so they are also losing fans around here too! Baltimore is too far to drive for our tastes so Royal and NCL get our business in their absence.

Rumor has it that you'll be getting the Vista once she completes her 1st year Med. Trips. Again just a rumor and few years away.

Rumor has it that you'll be getting the Vista once she completes her 1st year Med. Trips. Again just a rumor and few years away.

I don't buy into that rumor. It is based on ncl putting breakaway there and quantum being there for a short period. However other newer ships will be put in Florida so why compete with other lines in NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't buy into that rumor. It is based on ncl putting breakaway there and quantum being there for a short period. However other newer ships will be put in Florida so why compete with other lines in NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The Anthem of the Seas is scheduled to have Cape Liberty, New Jersey as her port of embarkation.

Edited by Disconnections

The Anthem of the Seas is scheduled to have Cape Liberty, New Jersey as her port of embarkation.

As was Quantum before her. I have no idea what will happen, but jerking Quantum away from the New York area is what makes people think it could/might happen again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have been really sad too thinking about the fact when the Pride leaves we will have no Spirit class ship left in Tampa.

Hopefully we will get some good news. I would also love to see a new itinerary or at least a couple new ports.

As was Quantum before her. I have no idea what will happen, but jerking Quantum away from the New York area is what makes people think it could/might happen again.

By deploying the Quantum of the Seas to the Asian market, this also shuffled the Anthem of the Seas. Anthem of the Seas was originally scheduled to homeport in Fort Lauderdale, but alas that has changed. This makes me think that Royal Caribbean considers New York/New Jersey to be strong enough of a market to deploy a brand new ship there, without having to deeply discount or offer cruises for free, like some other lines are doing. As soon as the Quantum is leaving, Anthem is practically just arriving.

FWIW, kybluecruiser stated that cruise lines aren't sending their new ships to the New York metro area. PP was also curious why should Carnival be committed to that market by sending the Carnival Vista there.

I think the previous poster just wants the Carnival Vista to homeport in the logistical nightmare of Charleston. Imagine having to clear the parking lot of all cruisers before they allow new ones to enter. With a ship stated to be larger than the Dream class vessels, it would be a disaster in the making. Between that and the shuttle, you can see extended waits with a lowly Fantasy class ship in Charleston.

Edited by Disconnections

By deploying the Quantum of the Seas to the Asian market, this also shuffled the Anthem of the Seas. Anthem of the Seas was originally scheduled to homeport in Fort Lauderdale, but alas that has changed. This makes me think that Royal Caribbean considers New York/New Jersey to be strong enough of a market to deploy a brand new ship there, without having to deeply discount or offer cruises for free, like some other lines are doing.

FWIW, kybluecruiser stated that cruise lines aren't sending their new ships to the New York metro area, so why should Carnival be committed to that market by sending the Carnival Vista there? The dancing down 5th Ave ended as soon as the "year round" cruising ended.

I think the previous poster just wants the Carnival Vista to homeport in the logistical nightmare of Charleston. Imagine having to clear the parking lot of all cruisers before they allow new ones to enter. With a ship stated to be larger than the Dream class vessels, it would be a disaster in the making. Between that and the shuttle, you can see extended waits with a lowly Fantasy class ship in Charleston.

Thanks, I get it, but who knows what will happen, I guess that is what I was trying to allude to. I still have qualms (no Quantum pun intended) that Carnival will be re-assigning ships out of the Caribbean and the Vista might be part of that.

Year round cruising out of New York just will not be in the cards for a brand new ship, but we can dream!

Thanks, I get it, but who knows what will happen, I guess that is what I was trying to allude to. I still have qualms (no Quantum pun intended) that Carnival will be re-assigning ships out of the Caribbean and the Vista might be part of that.

Year round cruising out of New York just will not be in the cards for a brand new ship, but we can dream!

I think I edited that post like 5 times while you were responding to it, lol. Honestly, they're going to send the ship where they can get a high return on investment. I'm not sure if there is a bridge that has a height restriction, but if the market could feasibly support it, the Carnival Vista could have gone to Mobile. It's not only up to Carnival, but partly where the guests will support the market. That's the same reason Galveston is getting a third ship and time will tell if it pays off for Carnival.

Unfortunately, Carnival cannot afford to dedicate their new ship to take over a NY year round cruising position, but not to the same extent as Mobile. Only time will tell what's going on. Hopefully it works out for them. We'll know soon enough.

Edited by Disconnections

I think I edited that post like 5 times while you were responding to it, lol. Honestly, they're going to send the ship where they can get a high return on investment. I'm not sure if there is a bridge that has a height restriction, but if the market could feasibly support it, the Carnival Vista could have gone to Mobile. It's not only up to Carnival, but partly where the guests will support the market. That's the same reason Galveston is getting a third ship and time will tell if it pays off for Carnival.

Unfortunately, Carnival cannot afford to dedicate their new ship to take over a NY year round cruising position, but not to the same extent as Mobile. Only time will tell what's going on. Hopefully it works out for them. We'll know soon enough.

Mobile has a unique market. Carnival only sends distressed ships there. If you see a Carnival ship in Mobile, Carnival has got problems on their hands, and CNN can't be far behind. LOL

I agree they will follow the money. It is what they all do and should. My bet is still Mismi or Galveston.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

I agree they will follow the money. It is what they all do and should. My bet is still Mismi or Galveston.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

Agreed. The only difference is that I would add Fort Lauderdale into that mix.

Jimbo, whenever you post, it always generates a good discussion between us both. How far we've come... we finally agreed on something.

Agreed. The only difference is that I would add Fort Lauderdale into that mix.

Jimbo, whenever you post, it always generates a good discussion between us both. How far we've come... we finally agreed on something.

I love the discussion, I really do. Despite what some may think, 90% plus of the time, I am just enjoying the different views on whatever the subject is (or migrates to). It is def. part of what makes this site so good.

LOL, we have come far! :) This is the second time time in two days I have agreed with one of bantering friends..... maybe I need to recheck my meds.;)

You are also correct on Ft. Lauderdale being in the mix. With their new found creativeness (we have been telling them for so long) in itineraries, I would be as happy to see the Vista do a rotational think on home ports (seasonal).

All this kumbaya stuff aside, I think they would have to do serious work if it were to have a New York home port at all (the Dream class not being able to use the jet ways - or whatever they call them for a cruise ship), which would pretty much eliminate New York.

Mobile has a unique market. Carnival only sends distressed ships there. If you see a Carnival ship in Mobile, Carnival has got problems on their hands, and CNN can't be far behind. LOL

Yep.

Many years ago I had a friend who was a district sales manager for Royal Caribbean. He mentioned that some cruise markets where there is only one ship sailing from there, in most instances the cruise line will have one of the older ships in the fleet based there.

The cruise line can do this because they are the only game in town - ie: no other competition.

The home ports where there is lots of competition usually get the newest ships.

By deploying the Quantum of the Seas to the Asian market, this also shuffled the Anthem of the Seas. Anthem of the Seas was originally scheduled to homeport in Fort Lauderdale, but alas that has changed. This makes me think that Royal Caribbean considers New York/New Jersey to be strong enough of a market to deploy a brand new ship there, without having to deeply discount or offer cruises for free, like some other lines are doing. As soon as the Quantum is leaving, Anthem is practically just arriving.

FWIW, kybluecruiser stated that cruise lines aren't sending their new ships to the New York metro area. PP was also curious why should Carnival be committed to that market by sending the Carnival Vista there.

Oh i never thought it would be placed in charleston. If i have ever said it would that was pure sarcasim. I just do not believe it will go to nyc. Yes there will be two newer ships there from rival cruise lines, on the flip side flordia will also have newer ships from those same cruise lines to compete with. My personal belief is that vista will be home ported somewhere whit high revenue returns for carnival. I would look for it to go to miami or port canveral. Odds are port canveral will be getting an oasis class soon. Maybe by 2016 when vista debuts. Like you and jimbo as said. Follow the money.

I think that Carnival (and other cruise lines) are delivering a message to Tampa, which is thta they need to build a new facility outside of the bridge. If true, I doubt they will put another ship there.

Agreed. There is a lot of interesting information on the web regarding this subject.

I just don't understand why the ports that don't "need" a shorter ship have them and Tampa does not have the shorter ship.

Agreed. There is a lot of interesting information on the web regarding this subject.

I just don't understand why the ports that don't "need" a shorter ship have them and Tampa does not have the shorter ship.

Carnival deploys its ships to maximize its profit. Some bean counter there has determined that the Spirit-class ships are making more money elsewhere going forward than they will in Tampa.

My suspicion (based on speculation) is that the average passenger out of Tampa is spending less onboard than the average cruiser out of other Spirit-class home-ports. Since the Spirit class offers the highest space/passenger ratio of all Carnival ships, they depend on higher onboard sales to maintain an acceptable profit margin.

Edited by gtalum

i'm glad the pride is coming back to Baltimore where she belongs. :D she was only on loan to Tampa until they figured out how to get the emissions problem solved without spending all that money on the special fuel they were going to have to use traveling all the way down the Chesapeake bay past Norfolk. once they were able to get the scrubbers like RCL uses out of Baltimore approved they were able to bring her back to Baltimore.

Carnival deploys its ships to maximize its profit. Some bean counter there has determined that the Spirit-class ships are making more money elsewhere going forward than they will in Tampa.

My suspicion (based on speculation) is that the average passenger out of Tampa is spending less onboard than the average cruiser out of other Spirit-class home-ports. Since the Spirit class offers the highest space/passenger ratio of all Carnival ships, they depend on higher onboard sales to maintain an acceptable profit margin.

The Spirit and the Legend are Down Under. Sydney seems to be a more profitable home port than Tampa (must be selling lots and lots of Fosters).

Another bridge issue in Sydney.

spirit-australia.jpg

Edited by oysterdam