Epic TA: East-bound or west-bound?

ldlewis45

I originally booked a balcony on the Epic's last east-bound TA (11 days plus 3-day Med add-on) for next April. I was looking last night, though, and I can get an inside guarantee for about $850 (I have a future cruise deposit) on the west-bound TA this October. I'm really tempted to cancel the April TA and book the October one instead, since I'd be saving about $1800 on the cruise itself, not counting the flight. I'm just not sure which cruise is considered to be "better."

All else being equal, I prefer west-bound TAs because you get a bunch of 25-hour days as you traverse time zones. On the east-bound TA you get a bunch of 23-hour days. Other than that, I don't think there's much difference one to the other. Enjoy!

Without knowing the itinerary for either of those cruises, or what your plans would be in Europe before (westbound) or after (eastbound) either crossing, I will say that we've done the crossing both ways and much prefer the westbound for the reason others have posted above: the time changes work in your favor. You'd think that losing one hour isn't a big deal, but when you lose an hour day after day for several days, it gets a bit tiring.

After our first (and thus far only) eastbound TA, my spouse said it would have to be a very special itinerary for her to do a crossing in that direction again.

Whatever you pick, have a great time!

I would go with the west bound TA - mainly because there are more stops.

Also, the 25 hour days sound nice and I guess it will be quite a bit warmer.

I'm biased of course: I will be on the TA in October ;) - can't wait!!

(We have a very active roll call btw)

Since most airfares are cheaper for a RT - here is what we do.

Do both cruises. Use half of the airfare to go over there, and the other half to return, 6 months apart.

You get two cruises that way, for one airfare.

It works great!

Since most airfares are cheaper for a RT - here is what we do.

Do both cruises. Use half of the airfare to go over there, and the other half to return, 6 months apart.

You get two cruises that way, for one airfare.

It works great!

Wish I could do that, but I don't have enough vacation time for both cruises! (I found a one-way flight for $620, though.)

Another vote for west bound for the reasons already mentioned plus (depending on the itinerary), the port intensive part of the cruise (Europe) is at the beginning and you get the relaxing crossing to rest and rejuvenate before returning to reality.

Another vote for west bound for the reasons already mentioned plus (depending on the itinerary), the port intensive part of the cruise (Europe) is at the beginning and you get the relaxing crossing to rest and rejuvenate before returning to reality.

Well, unless you are doing the westbound TA we are doing in Nov 2015 on the Celebrity Eclipse, leaving Southampton and sailing directly to a port call in Boston, followed by an overnight in New York, an overnight in Bermuda, a port call in Port Canaveral, and ending in Miami. It's so wonderfully crazy we had to book it! :)

(Lots of wonderful Brits on our Roll Call, and I can totally understand the appeal of this itinerary to them.)

I booked it! I'm so excited! It's my first transatlantic cruise and my first cruise on the Epic.

You will love it! I did the West Bound TA on the Epic last fall & I'd do it again in a heartbeat :) have fun :)

Edited by arjay9

I booked it! I'm so excited! It's my first transatlantic cruise and my first cruise on the Epic.

You will love it! I did the West Bound TA on the Epic last fall & I'd do it again in a heartbeat :) have fun :)

Have fun Idlewis! Wish we were going!

Don't forget the Halloween on the Epic!! It's GREAT!!