Fishing recommendations

cruise4sun&fun

Hi all.

Would like recommendations for a post cruise fishing trip.

We will be staying 2 nights in Anchorage & 2 nights near Denali NP so close to either would be great. Seems like most charters I've seen leave from Kenai, about 3 hours south of Anchorage. Anything closer to Anchorage?

Anything inland near Denali?

Will be there in mid-June.

Thanks for any help! :)

Look into fishing Ship Creek in downtown ANC. This years derby was June 13-22. The Bait Shack has tips and equipment to rent. Having a fish shipped home may be an issue. To see some of this years fish look at The Bait Shack's facebook. This years top derby fish was 41 lbs, second was 33.

Sightcrr

fishing for ___ salmon, trout, ???

Deep sea fishing, bank, lake ??

On your way to Denali you could stop in Talkeetna, Houston, or the Palmer area (Matsu). Or Whittier which is about 1 1/2 hrs south of Anchorage if you want deep sea fishing.

http://www.talkeetnachamber.org/directory/category/fishing

Check http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com for area info.

Sorry..... guess I was kind of vague with my question.

Would perfer Halibut. Kind of sounds like Halibut might be an all day trip to Halibut grounds, but I don't know. Just don't want to spend 6-8 hours in windshield time and another couple hours boat time to catch halibut.

Salmon from charter boat or shore could work.... better chance to catch from boat than shore in mid-June? Ship Creek does sound convienent, but I am willing to spend the extra $ on a charter if that would be more productive.

for halibut you'll need to go out on a charter boat.

Are you disembarking in Seward or Whittier? There are charters in both towns. That would be your most convenient option, plus there is sightseeing in both areas so while some people fish, the others can explore for the day.

Seward info: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishingReports/index.cfm?ADFG=R2.summary&Area_key=22&RecordID=51

Seward is a better option for halibut fishing. From the town web site:

http://www.seward.com/welcome-to-seward-alaska/signature-events/halibut-tournament-june/

Fish or sightsee all day, then catch the 6pm train to Anchorage. Or drive.

(Personally, I'd skip nights in Anchorage unless you have an early morning flight home or take the train .... too much to see and do elsewhere. But I guess it depends on your interests.)

p.s. no halibut in Ship Creek

Edited by mapleleaves

or.....you could spend a couple more days, drive to Valdez...and have a whole weekend on a charter book....fish for Halibut, salmon, and pull up your on shrimp pot. and then eat the shrimp on the barbie...We did this, this summer....and it was the BEST fishing trip I have ever done....and you get sightseeing too....We saw 19 goats, more Eagles than I could count, 8" shrimp, halibut, salmon, bears, rockfish...(the best eating in the world)....Comfortable cabin, great host, nice boat...G'day Charters in Valdez...Check out the Facebook.....Truly, the best fishing trip I have ever had in Alaska....Oh yeh. icebergs and glaciers too...Spending the night in a cove with just one boat was magical....:) There is a web site too but I can't remember it.....